Rowing and planks after Breast Augmentation ?

I would like to resume orange theory. Can I use the rowing machine? 400 cc under the muscle. Can I plank and do modified burpees and get back into a normal HIIT workout? Thank you!

Rowing and planks after Breast Augmentation?

Thank you for the question. It is advisable to rest for about 4-6 weeks after operation and avoid strenuous exercises.

London Plastic Surgeon

Exercise after breast augmentation

Thank you for your queston.  Every surgeon will have his/her own preferences as to recovery for specific procedures. I have patients wear a soft bra after breast augmentation for a few weeks to splint everything, and at that point the scars are generally very stable and we move to normal bras (or none) and long term scar management. However, you will be restricted from exercises that use your pectoral muscles until you are fully recovered. Activities such as pull-ups, push-ups and weight lifting should not be commenced until your are fully healed. I suggest you wait at least 3 weeks before running or moderate exercise and from 6 to 8 weeks to resume the kind of training you´re looking into.  When you start, listen to your body. You will be a little out of condition and a bit sore. But you will get back to where you were before surgery very quickly. Best is to check with your chosen surgeon, wishing you a speedy recovery!

Thank you for your question and congratulations on your surgery.  Depending on your timing from surgery, if at least 6-8 weeks out you can most likely return to your former workout routine.  Your surgeon will be your best source of information, however.

In my practice after submuscular breast augmentation I asked my patient to wait at least 6 weeks before bench pressing, rowing, pushups and other significant upper body exercise.  Of course her plastic surgeon should be the one to make this decision for you.

Post op care instructions

Avoid heavy lifting and strenuous activity for six weeks. You may, however, do normal activities at any time if they cause no pain or discomfort. Let your body tell you what you can or cannot do. Aerobic exercise will raise your blood pressure, which could cause late bleeding and harm your result. Once you begin exercising again, start gently and let your body tell you what it can tolerate. Don't rush!! It may require the full 6 weeks before you can do any upper body work-outs, yoga, etc.

You should ONLY ask your chosen operative surgeon the timetable to return to exercising aggressively!

Thank you for the question. Long-term patients who undergo breast augmentation surgery should be able to return to all activities with full strength.  Timing to return to specific types of exercise will vary from one patient to another. Best to check with your plastic surgeon for specific advice. Generally, I suggest patients gradually ease back into the strenuous aerobic exercise 4 to 6 weeks postoperatively, assuming that they are doing well and there have been no complications. Lower body exercise can generally be resumed 2 weeks postoperatively. Use common sense, listen to your body, and gradually resume previous activity. In my practice, I ask patients to avoid contact and strenuous exercise involving the pectoralis major muscles ( such as push-ups, bench press, burpees, dancing on a pole…) for at least 3-6 months. Best wishes.