Should I get 340cc or 400cc under muscle? + question about pectorals muscle (photos).

I`m going to get a breast augmentation about two weeks. I can't decide which size i going to get; 360cc or 400cc under muscle high profile. 23 years old, 5 feet and 115 lb, no kids. What should I decide? Help me please! My doctor told me if I could take 20 pushups before the operation I would only take 1 after when I have the implants. Is that true? Any experiences? If I decide to take the implants out when I get older will muscle pectorals get to normal or will it be destroyed forever?

Should I get 340cc or 400cc under muscle?

Thanks for your question.  It's imprecise to make a recommendation solely based on two photos so you should be seen in person for greater accuracy.   I choose to select the final implant for my patient during the surgery and not before I have had the opportunity to create a space for the implant and determine what volume is closest to ideal for their shape and size goals.  As a generalization, I feel that for someone without pregnancies who is 5' tall 115 lbs, a 400 cc implant sounds large to me.  IF you don't mind moderate roundness and upper breast fullness I would be thinking in the 320-365 cc range in hopes of maintaining a more natural look.Your breast diameter seems relatively small compared to your chest diameter and your skin may not be easily expandable.
Best wishes for a satisfying outcome and result.

Jon A Perlman M.D., FACS
Certified, American Board of Plastic Surgery
ABC-TV Extreme Makeover Plastic Surgeon
Beverly Hills, California

Should I get 340cc or 400cc under muscle? + question about pectorals muscle

The choice between 360cc and 400cc implants should be decided between you and your plastic surgeon. The difference is a little more than 1 ounce, which is about the size of a shot of alcohol. With regard to placement under the muscle, the way surgeons create a submuscular pocket will vary from patient to patient and surgeon to surgeon. When the muscle is released from the ribs near the inframammary crease, patient can develop significant animation deformities and experience weakness when doing pushups. So if your surgeon says that you will not be able to do as many pushups after surgery, he or she is probably planning to release/cut your muscle to accommodate your breast implants. If you decide to remove the implants later in life, you may still be unable to do pushups well and may have persistent animation deformities. Thank you for sharing your photos and question. Best wishes.

Dr. Gregory Park

Gregory Park, MD

Focus on the look not the cc or cup size. Patient's often regret decisions based on extraneous factors as you may end up with suboptimal result. Bra's vary from store to store, and cc's mean nothing in isolation. You should be measured during your consult and offered implants within a 5mm window of those measurements in multiple styles. For what's its worth, in my experience a dimensionally sound mod+ profile tends to go from an A+/B- to the magical full C or small D. A high profile (or SRF) would be about 100ccs larger to maintain the same base width and more like a Full D but VS will call it a DD or DDD, particularly in a 32-34. Ultimately, try on the different styles and look in the mirror. When you see the look you like, pick that style! This requires a consult, exam, measurements and sizing with a board certified plastic surgeon. My patients select the implant style and their chest dimensions dictate the number of cc's. I make specific recommendations to each and every of the augmentation patients I see annually based on: 1) dimensional planning 2) expressed goals 3) amount and quality of tissue to hide the implant. I have included a link with my explanation of the different implants and what to expect from your consult as well as hundreds of before and after photos to see what change implants of a particular size deliver. Best of luck. #drfeldman #BancroftFeldman #breastaugmentation #sugarland #HoustonTX

Implant size

Your surgeon should measure under your breasts.  This is called the base diameter.  This measurement will guide the surgeon as to the appropriate size for your body.  Also your personal preference on size should be conveyed to the surgeon so you get the best result.  Placing the implants under the muscle should not impair your muscle strength after you are healed.  The implant is only partially covered by the pectorus muscle, so it will not harm the muscle if you decide to remove the implants at a later time.

Luis A. Vinas, MD

Implant size

Hi Maria,
Thank you for your question.  I find that the best way for women who are unsure of which size to select is to actually try on the implants. this will help them to see what the implants actually will look like.  Just remember that they look a little smaller once they have been placed under the muscle.  You can return to all activities several weeks after the surgery. You should be able to do pushups after the surgery,

Best of Luck,  Dr Bev

Beverly Friedlander, MD
Short Hills Plastic Surgeon

Which size should I get? Will it affect my chest muscles?

Thank you for your question - it is a very common concern! In general, it is the profile of the device that will determine your final outcome. Small changes can be seen between different sizes in the same profile but nothing that would change something as significant as a cup size. So for example, the difference between a 360cc high profile device and 400cc high profile device is only 40cc - this is approximately a sip of coke and would not contribute significantly to the overall final size. If you felt your surgeon understood your goals then I would have confidence in his/her judgement and recommendations. As for your chest muscles, I do not know it is possibly to quantify the number of pushups you can do after surgery and I'm not quite sure to make of that. I counsel my patients that breast augmentation should not significantly impact their ability to exercise and stay fit, however, if they are true 'weightlifters' interested in maximizing the physical amount of weight they can actually lift (i.e. their goal is lifting weight, not their appearance) then it is theoretically possible augmentation could affect this. I hope this is helpful.