Days following Coolsculpting procedure to upper and lower abs -how to optimize/not sabotage results?

I recently got my upper and lower abs treated with Coolsculpting. On my day of treatment and on the following day, I had a lot of heavy, fat and sugar-laden meals due to several family events. Will overeating significantly following a Coolsculpting procedure negatively impact results by affecting how many fat cells die over time due to the cold exposure?

Overeating post coolsculpting

Overeating will not impede the scientific process of Cryolipolysis. However, gaining weight will increase the size of remaining fat cells so the transformation that you seek will not be as visible. For the long term, it is best to have sensible eating habits and lifestyle.

Optimize and not sabotage coolsculpting procedure.

This is an excellent question. Do not gain weight. Eat a balanced diet and continue with your exercise program. Proceed with your treatment plan as outlined by your coolsculpting team. I would also include a form fitting garment to help in the process.

Michael Stefan, MD
Philadelphia Plastic Surgeon

Proper diet and exercise matter after CoolSculpting

It surely won’t help the cause. The reactions that are taking place within the fat cells should still occur, but proper diet and exercise are crucial for these procedures to get the maximum effects. Remember as well that most of the time, multiple sessions may be required, and now many of us are using additional procedures to maximize the benefits, such as the new Z Wave shock therapy procedure, which uses shock waves to help break up the fat faster than what is done with CoolSculpting alone. The concept of treat to transformation is important – so make sure you follow up with your provider to assure maximum benefits.

Michael Gold, MD
Nashville Dermatologic Surgeon

Optimizing Cool Sculpting Results

Cool Sculpting is excellent particularly for the abdominal area.  However, it is important to maintain a healthy diet and exercise after Cool Sculpting.  One heavy meal will not affect your results.  However, many fatty meals will cause you to gain weight and you will not have the good results from Cool Sculpting that you would anticipate.

Optimizing Coolsculpting results

You should at the very least try to maintain the diet and exercise routine you had prior to having Coolsculpting. Most important to optimizing results is making sure you see a physician's office that spends time evaluating you and making sure you are a good candidate for the procedure. The procedure works best in carefully selected candidates. Coolsculpting was invented by two Harvard Dermatologists and best results are seen when you are evaluated by an expert physician.

Omar Ibrahimi, MD, PhD
Stamford Dermatologic Surgeon

Diet and coolsculpting

Your overeating should not affect the procedure.  I would try your best to maintain a healthy diet and try to exercise.  Theoretically, the coolsculpting treatment will reduce the number of fat cells in the area treated so you may not gain as much fat in the treated area in the future, if you gain weight.

Shim Ching, MD
Honolulu Plastic Surgeon

Optimizing CoolSculpting Results

The best way to optimize your CoolSculpting results is to maintain a healthy diet and exercise. A few heavy meals won't have a negative effect in the long run, but gaining significant weight because of a poor diet and lack of physical activity will not give you the best possible results. Remember, the fat cells that get frozen by CoolSculpting will not return, but the remaining fat cells in the area can always increase in size and mask your results.

Michael A. Zadeh, MD, FACS
Sherman Oaks General Surgeon

Diet after CoolSculpting

Overeating for a day or so after a CoolSculpting treatment should not affect your results.  If you were overeating consistently over a longer period of time, then you most likely would not see optimal results.  The fat cell death that occurs after CoolSculpting would not be affected by the diet, but the existing fat cells that were not killed off could enlarge if someone ate excessively.  

Michael I. Echavez, MD
San Francisco Facial Plastic Surgeon