Can you get tattoo removal over a tattoo that is raised and scarred?

I have a bad tattoo of script on my thigh. The artist went too deep and all of the letters are raised and scarred. The tattoo itself is only 3 words and says "family is everything" which is only about 6-7 inches long. Can is still get laser removal on this tattoo if it is scarred or will getting laser cause the scarring to worsen? Or is it possible that laser tattoo removal can lessen the raised skin?

Laser Tattoo Removal -- Takes a series of treatmetns

Tattoo removal can be done over scarring but you want to ensure this is just keloid/scar not sarcoidal granuloma. I suggest you see an expert.  Best, Dr. Emer.

Scar and laser removal

Yes.  The MD would just need to be more selective about starting energy levels.  Our PicoSure should be able to treat it.

Stuart H. Bentkover, MD
Boston Facial Plastic Surgeon

Raised scar and tattoo

Tattoos with scarring can be treated, but they require more than the standard lasers. At the Laser Center of Maryland, we use our #Sciton Profractional Laser to help relax and eliminate the scar. At the same time we then use the Q-switch YAG laser to reduce the ink. Hope this helps and good luck! Dr. M

Jared Mallalieu, DO
Annapolis General Surgeon

Scarring from laser tattoo removal

It is still possible to treat tattoos where too much ink has been placed . It will just take longer to treat.  Risks from laser tattoo removal include pigment changes, and even scarring even though permanent side effects are minimal risk.  It also depends on your skin type and the type of laser utilized.  I would consult with an experienced provider but you may still be able to get laser tattoo removal

Hardik Soni, MD
Summit Emergency Medicine Physician