Can steam rooms damage breast implants? Does the heat compromise the shell and would cause to rupture sooner?

I have saline implants wand was curious if the heat will cause the shell the break down sooner than if I did not go in the steam room. I don't want to damage them and cause them to tear/deflate before my wedding but enjoy the steam room. Please advise how heat could affect them.

Steam room question

Thank you for your question. I do not believe that steam rooms or heat can damage your breast implants.

Breast Implants

Thank you for your question about breast implants.

No, a steam room will not damage your implants or cause them to rupture prematurely.

J. Jason Wendel, MD, FACS

Steam Room Question

Thanks for your question.  The great part about breast implants is that they are covered in a silicone shell.  This will protect them for many many years to come.  Enjoy your wedding and a little relaxation steam room time  :) 

Cheers and best wishes!
Steven Camp MD

Steven M. Camp, MD
Fort Worth Plastic Surgeon

Breast Implants / Breast Augmentation / Saline Implants / Silicone Implants / Gummy Bear Implants / Breast Implant Revision

I appreciate your question.

No, steam rooms won't damage your implants or affect their life span.  Your implants have a silicone shell which protects them.

The best way to assess and give true advice would be an in-person exam.
Please see a board-certified plastic surgeon that specializes in aesthetic and restorative breast surgery.

Dr. Schwartz

Breast implant safety

Thanks for your question. No, the steam room should be just fine for the implants. Enjoy it if you like to do that. If any concerns develop w/ the implants, do be sure to follow up w/ your surgeon in person. Best wishes.

Paul J. Leahy, MD
Leawood Plastic Surgeon

Breast implants can take the heat

Steam rooms won't damage your implant or affect their longevity. Your implants have a silicone shell, which would melt at temperatures greater than 392 degrees Fahrenheit. A conventional sauna is typically between 150 and 190 degrees. If you were in an environment where your implants would melt, you’d melt, too. Congratulations on your upcoming wedding. For more information on this and similar topics, I recommend a plastic surgery Q&A book like "The Scoop On Breasts: A Plastic Surgeon Busts the Myths."

Ted Eisenberg, DO, FACOS
Philadelphia Plastic Surgeon

Can Steam Rooms Damage Breast Implants?

Great question! Simply put, no, steam and/or heat from a hot tub should not affect your breast implants in any negative way.

Robert N. Young, MD, FACS
San Antonio Plastic Surgeon

Enjoy the steam room

Your skin and subcutaneous tissue, and hopefully your muscle, protect your implants from external factors, the temperature of your inner body is constant, so your implants will not be affected. Enjoy the Sauna and congrats on your wedding.

Victor M. Perez, MD, FACS
Kansas City Plastic Surgeon

Heat and implants

Any outside heat whether it be from a sauna or whirlpool will not affect the integrity of the silicone shell of either a saline or silicone gel breast implant. Nothing to worry about that.

Marc J. Salzman, MD, FACS

Can steam rooms damage breast implants?

Thank you for your question.  Because of the proximity of your implants to your body's core, fluctuations in temperature and humidity will not affect their integrity or durability as your own tissues will prevent signficant alterations.  Hope this helps.