Breast Implants for Petite Woman. (Photo)

Body background: 5"0, weight 112lbs, and wear size 32A. I want my breasts to look natural, be proportioned with my body, and not having it sit low or wide apart. I am trying to get a read on what brand, size, shape, profile, and incision location since I do get keloids. I did some research and am leaning towards getting silicon implants. Also, would like to know if I can get keloids removed, if so I would like to do that as well. You can see one keloid on my chest area. Thanks in advance!

Breast implants for petite woman

Having your implants look natural and proportionate to your frame are excellent goals to shoot for.  Your board certified plastic surgeon can help you choose the size that is right for you with different methods of sizing available.  It has to be done in person though since a good physical examination of your tissue qualities with measurements of your breasts is imperative.  There are currently 3 FDA approved breast brands in the US and they are very similar in quality, durability, styles available and durability.  The biggest difference between the 3 brands is the type of "gummy bear" silicone implant they offer.  This is the newer highly cohesive, form stable, anatomically shaped silicone gel implants.  I believe this is the best type of implant currently available due to its natural look and feel (with less rippling and more natural and predictable shape) and less rate of rupture, capsular contracture, gel migration and tendency to maintain its shape better over time compared to the saline- filled implants and the classic silicone gel implants.  These implants are tear drop/ anatomically shaped.  The other styles of implants most commonly used are round and smooth.  All these different types of implants come in different profiles (low, mid- range and high profile usually).  The lower profile implants will give you a more natural look while the higher profile implants can give you more cleavage, upper pole fullness, roundness and lift. The higher profile styles are also more commonly used in petite narrow chested patients who want more significant volume increase as the larger the implant chosen, the larger the diameter of the implant which could end up in your armpit and give you too much side boob if your implants are too wide.  An experienced and skilled board certified plastic surgeon can help you choose the size and style to help you achieve your goals.  

The most commonly used incision location for placement of silicone gel breast implants is the inframammary fold.  It has the least risk for capsular contracture, which is one of the most common indications for revision surgery in the future and can be used for future revision surgeries, saving you the need for a second scar.  The most common tissue plane implant placement is the subpectoral approach which looks the most natural, has the lowest rate of capsular contracture and rippling, stays out of the way of mammograms more and maintains it's shape better over time than subglandular or subfascial (which is basically subglandular and still has a high rate of capsular contracture).

Judging from the pics you submitted, you should have a very nice and natural result.  You do have more of a gap between your breasts than the average patient and that can only be improved a little.  It's just a limitation of breast implants and everyone's anatomy is different so we cannot make everyone look like the model in the picture.  

Then, there is also the lipoaugmentation option, but that should be saved for another topic of discussion.... Best wishes.

Breast Implants / Breast Augmentation/ Cohesive Gel Implants / Silicone Implants / Revision Breast Surgery

I appreciate your question.

The size of implant best of you is dictated by your chest wall measurements. Once we determine that we can choose the profile based on what you want or need to achieve.  If you are seeking a natural look, then the diameter of the implant should be equal to or, more ideally, smaller than the width of your breast. The breast width is a measurement of how wide your breast is at the base, which should be measured at the level of the nipple. Choosing an implant that is smaller in diameter than your breast width will avoid the "side breast" fullness that is often associated with a more artificial appearance. Other than that, you should choose the implant based on volume, not on the dimensions of the implant. You should choose a board certified plastic surgeon that you trust to help guide you in this decision.

Silicone will give you a fullness at the top (upper pole fullness).
Silicone implants come pre-filled with a silicone gel and are the softest implant available. They feel more natural, which makes them a good option for women with less natural breast tissue; but they require a larger incision. It may be more difficult to realize if this type of implant has ruptured, so it is important to monitor them with annual follow-up visits. Additionally, because this implant contains a more liquid silicone (less cross-linked), if this implant should rupture, it will leak only into the scar capsule formed around the implant but may cause some discomfort or implant distortion.

Anatomic gummy bear implants might be a good choice to give you volume.
These highly-sought-after, anatomic implants offer a look that more closely resembles the natural silhouette of a breast, and, therefore, are a very attractive option for individuals seeking a natural-looking, aesthetic primary breast augmentation. Additionally, these implants are an especially excellent option for patients undergoing restorative or corrective breast surgery because they provide more stability, shape, and reduced incidence of capsular contracture. Compared to other types of silicone gel implants, the silicone in the cohesive gel implant is more cross-linked; therefore, should the implant shell “rupture,” it maintains its shape and silicone does not leak.

During your breast augmentation consultation, you should feel the different types of implants available, and try on various implant sizers in front of a mirror to help you to get an idea of how you will look following the surgery. You should also bring pictures of the look you would like to achieve, as well as a favorite top to wear when trying on implant sizers.

At the time of your consultation, your plastic surgeon can talk to you about keloid removal/revision.

The best way to assess and give true advice would be an in-person exam.
Please see a board-certified plastic surgeon that specializes in aesthetic and restorative breast surgery.

Dr. Schwartz

Proportional sizing

Thank you for your question. The best way to determine the sizes/volumes of implant which will meet your needs is to have a detailed discussion with your Plastic Surgeon and careful measurements taken which will determine your implant diameter. You will likely have a range of implants with the same width but increasing projection/volume as options for you.

My patients find it helpful to try the implants on in the office with a form fitting T-Shirt in order to get an idea of the look that they like. Ultimately, I suggest that you choose the best implant for you based on the look you want, rather than a desired cup size because there is no standardization for bra cup sizing.

I'm sure that your Plastic Surgeon will be able to talk with you about removal of keloids.

All the best

Breast Implants for Petite Woman.

Thank you for the question. Based on your photographs, I think that you are starting at a good place and should have a very nice outcome with breast augmentation surgery. Ultimately, careful communication of your goals (in my practice I prefer the use of goal pictures, direct examination/communication in front of a full-length mirror, and computer imaging) will be critical.
Having said that, for most patients with your petite frame and anatomic starting point, I recommend the use of round silicone breast implants placed in the sub muscular (dual plane) position.  

Generally speaking, the best online advice I can give to ladies who are considering breast augmentation surgery ( regarding breast implant size/profile selection) is:
1. Concentrate on choosing your plastic surgeon carefully. Concentrate on appropriate training, certification, and the ability of the plastic surgeon to achieve the results you are looking for. Ask to see lots of examples of his/her work.
2. Have a full discussion and communication regarding your desired goals we have time for a you their stuff's's homewith your plastic surgeon. This communication will be critical in determining breast implant size/type/profile will most likely help achieve your goals.
In my practice, the use of photographs of “goal” pictures (and breasts that are too big or too small) is very helpful. For example, I have found that the use of know words such as “natural and proportioned” or "C or D cup” etc means different things to different people and therefore prove unhelpful.
Also, as you know, cup size varies depending on him who makes the bra; therefore, discussing desired cup size may also be inaccurate. Again, the use of computer imaging has been very helpful during the communication process, in our practice.
3. Once you feel you have communicated your goals clearly, allow your plastic surgeon to use his/her years of experience/judgment to choose the breast implant size/profile that will best meet your goals. Again, in my practice, this decision is usually made during surgery, after the use of temporary intraoperative sizers.

I hope this (and the attached link, dedicated to breast augmentation surgery for petite patients) helps. Best wishes for an outcome that you will be very pleased with.

This is what I will do

If I was to do your operation I will use 300 cc smooth silicone moderate profile implant in subgladular location through inframammary incision. Keloid is unavoidable risk in patients who form keloids.    

Vasdev Rai, MD

Breast Implants for Petite Woman.

Thank you for your question and photos.  I believe you would be a great candidate for breast augmentation.  If there is concern about keloids,  I would place the incision at the breast crease.  Also, any keloid excision should be complemented with a steroid injection (kenalog) to reduce the risk of recurrence.  If you prefer silicone implants, round smooth silicone implants in a sub-muscular pocket would be a great approach to achieve a natural look for your frame.  Keep in mind that the FDA recommends getting MRI exams every couple of years if you have silicone implants b/c there's a small chance that they can rupture without it being clinically detectable (silent rupture).  Another option is the new FDA approved new generation saline implants, called IDEAL implants.  These feel more natural than the old saline implants but have the reassurance of not having to worry about silent ruptures or follow up MRIs.  

During the consultation, you should be measured for your breast dimensions in order to get an appropriate range of implant sizes.  In my practice, I have my patients also try on different implant sizers in a simple bra while wearing a tight t-shirt in order to get a better idea about the look they want.  Don't focus too much on the cup size or implant volume but more on the look you want.  Be sure to consult with an experienced plastic surgeon certified by the American Board of Plastic Surgery.  Good luck!

Zachary Farris, MD, FACS

Implants

Good morning!

Looking at your photos you appear to be a great candidate for augmentation surgery- I am sure you will do well.  As far as size/shape/profile questions- these are things that only a consult with a board certified plastic surgeon can answer- he/she are the only ones with the experience to be able to match the implant you need with your body type.

I hope this helps

Robert Steely, MD, FACS

Breast Augmentation: options

Dear Ms. Selena_03,

Thank you for your story, question and photos.

Nothing substitutes for a personal evaluation and a face to face discussion of your options.

Unfortunately without photos, a examination and measurements I can advise you in general terms, however I hope you will find them helpful.

Breast appearance, size, filler material , shape and implant location is a personal choice guided by the experience of your Plastic Surgeon. Your SPECFIC breast anatomy will
dictate some of your choices.

As far as size you know all bras are not equal in "cup size" measurements.
"Cup size" is a very crude and non standardized measurement and varies by bra manufacturers. Thus actual cup size you eventually are measured at is not as important as your body proportions as it relates to your desired breast size

My specific responses are:
1)sizing:
A)Realizing there are no standard bra (strap/cup) sizes, purchase several bras (full bodied and no padding) of the strap and cup size you think you want to be.
B)take a measuring cup (1 oz=30cc) place rice in a nylon. Therefore 10 oz. = 300cc...
C) try on various volumes of rice with some form fitting clothes.
D)if implant is placed under the pectoralis muscle I usually add 10% volume to what the patient chooses.... To compensate for the muscle pressing down on the muscle and for
the naturally settleing of the implant which often makes the breast appear smaller 2-3 months after surgery.

2) profile of implant:
A) for the same volume the higher the profile the narrower the base width.
B)there is very little difference in projection between a moderate to high profile implant
thus little affect on how the actual nipple will look.
C) the base width of the breast should equal the base width of the implant
D)thus I personally chose the profile based on the patients chest measurements,
(a high profile on a wide chest may not result in the cleavage desired and
conversely a low profile on a narrow chest may result in implant in the outside arm
area)
E)Cleavage is largely determined by your anatomy. This can be optimized by choosing the best profile implant and postoperative implant displacement excercises towards the midline of your chest.

3)Shape of the implant:
A) for the vast majority of cosmetic patients I recommend round implants
B) reconstructive patients shaped/form stable implants are often used

4)Placement decision of implant(subpectoral, dual plane, or suprapectoral) will be determined based on your anatomy and long term goals and benefits.

5)Filler Material
A) silicone gel feels more like breast tissue, less potential rippling, comes prefilled cannot adjust size intraoperatively and larger incisions to place compared to equal sized (non prefilled) normal saline implants.
B) normal saline implants can be adjusted in size intraoperatively, if ruptures normal saline absorbs, potential increase rippling compared to silicone gel, smaller incision to place normal saline implants as compared to prefilled silicone gel implants.

6)Incision (access) sites
A) axillary
B) areolae
C) inframammarry fold
D) umbilical (normal saline implants only)

keloid formation ion can be minimized by several postoperative options:
1) silicone gel tape
2) lasers
3) steroid injections

I suggest you collect several nude model photos of the goal breast shape you desire and schedule several consultative appointments with Plastic Surgeons who are experienced and is Certified by the American Board of Plastic Surgery and ideally members of the American Society for Aesthetic Plastic Surgery (denoting by membership as having met additional criteria and a focus on Cosmetic Plastic Surgery).

My best wishes,

R. A. Hardesty, MD, FACS
Diplomate and Certified by the Am. Bd. of Plastic Surgery
wwwimagineplasticsurgery.com
4646 Brockton Ave
Riverside, Ca 92506
(951) 686-7600

Breast Augmentation in a Petite Woman

It is very possible to achieve a natural result with a petite frame.  The implants you choose will directly influence the outcome that you get.  Your plastic surgeon can show you different implants that fit within the dimensions of your breasts, and give you an idea of how they will look after surgery. 
Keloids can be treated with different modalities, and certainly can be addressed at the time of your breast surgery.  Best of luck!

Jonathan Heistein, MD
Fort Worth Plastic Surgeon

Breast implants for petite woman

Hi and thanks for your question. Implant style and size depends upon multiple factors so I would have your plastic surgeon let you try on a number of different shape and volume of sizers so that you can decide which most closely approximates the ready look you wish to achieve. Keloid scars can also be treated at the same time as breast augmentation. Good luck!

Richard Chaffoo, MD, FACS, FICS
Triple Board Certified Plastic Surgeon

Richard Chaffoo, MD, FACS