Liposuction of my back rolls. Is it a fail or not? (Photo)

I just had liposuction of my back, arms , abdomen, waist and thighs....I feel pains all over but I can't see any result..my body has become very soft and numb..much more concerned about my back fat rolls. I see the cuts on each side of the rolls which I beliv was liposuctioned..but the rolls are still there..is it a fail or not :/ ... I still feel i look fat

Liposuction results

We do not have the benefit of seeing your before photos. You cannot judge your results if you "just had liposuction." It may take 2-4 months for the final result, so please hang in there and follow all of your surgeon's recommendations. Best wishes. 

Santa Rosa Plastic Surgeon

Liposuction

It takes several months to see your final result after liposuction.  You are still healing and are very swollen, the swelling will continue to go down with time. 

Kevin Rose, MD
Provo Plastic Surgeon

Was liposuction a failure?

Thank you for asking about your liposuction.

• I seen bloody drainage from an incision, so you just had your liposuction.
  • You absolutely cannot tell what your result will be - you are swollen and may swell more.
  • You will not have see much improvement for 6 weeks, and not until 6 months will you know your final result. 
  • In the meantime, work on restricting calories and exercising as soon as permitted so you can lose weight.
  • If not, fat will return to other parts of your body.
Always see a Board Certified Plastic Surgeon
Hope you found this answer helpful. Best wishes.

Liposuction

Hi Selina, thanks for sharing your photos. You are still early in recovery which means you are still swollen. I would give it a few more weeks when your swelling goes down to judge your outcome. Best of luck. -Dr. Coan

Brian Coan, MD, FACS
Raleigh-Durham Plastic Surgeon

Limited results from liposuction

A few things come to mind.

The first is that it takes time to see the final results after liposuction.

Three months at a minimum.

The second is that liposuction is not the treatment of choice for loose skin.

You may have had significant subcutaneous fat, but if it's present with skin laxity, liposuction will give limited results.

Some people are good candidates for liposuction and should expect dramatic changes. Some people are not candidates and do not have the potential of seeing great changes.

It is the plastic surgeon's responsibility to make a proper assessment and explain potential outcomes.

The skin folds or creases of the back bra roll are not able to be removed with liposuction.

The skin folds are caused by skin attachments on the chest wall.

As the arm is moved down, the skin drops, and creases are formed where the skin has attachments.

If you stretch one arm straight up and take your other hand and push against your skin you will notice that your subcutaneous fat it's probably not nearly as thick as it seems.

With your arm in the downward position, as the creases form, the fat layers appear much thicker. 

I suggest you follow up with your plastic surgeon and express your concerns to him or her.

Mats Hagstrom, M.D.

Mats Hagstrom, MD

S/p Liposuction

Liposuction results are best judged at least 6 months postoperatively as the wound healing process requires time for skin tightening and swelling resolution. Recommend you share your concerns with your plastic surgeon so that he may address the procedure and postoperative course.