What would be the cost for a revision? (Photo)

Hello I previously had ftm surgery with another Surgeon and was displeased with my results. I'm wondering if you could do a revision and the cost. I need a revision on the dog ears.

Transgender mastectomy revision.

You should ask your surgeon, who did a pretty good job overall. Revision by your own surgeon will be the most cost-effective, as surgery elsewhere will definitely be more costly. If you have other concerns with your surgeon, revision by another plastic surgeon experienced with transgender mastectomies will generally cost more, but probably not as much your initial procedure.

Your photo does not show as much detail as a physical examination in person would, but your right nipple should be closer to your mastectomy scar, and revision with additional skin/fat and lateral dog ear excision (more on the right side--left in photo unless this is a mirror photo) on both sides can make this a much better top surgery result. Your nipple/areola grafts are also a bit too medial for optimal masculine position, but I've learned that the hard way also.

Your nipples can also be reduced to masculine size, and/or tattooed as Dr. Lincenberg has recommended. With due respect to Dr Schwartz, you do NOT need a surgeon who specializes in "aesthetic and restorative breast surgery," but an ABPS-certified plastic surgeon who has demonstrated experience with transgender breast surgery. There are plenty of examples of bad surgical procedures (top surgery) here on RealSelf does by surgeons who have lots of experience with breast surgery in females, some experience with gynecomastia surgery in men, but abysmal experience with transgender patients. I'm sure that is what Dr. Schwartz meant to say! Best wishes! Dr. Tholen

Minneapolis Plastic Surgeon

Top Surgery

I appreciate your question.

The best way to assess and give true advice would be an in-person exam.
Please see a board-certified plastic surgeon that specializes in aesthetic and restorative breast surgery.

best of luck!

Dr Schwartz

Jaime S. Schwartz, MD, FACS

Revision of FTM surgery

Your dog ears may be part of a chest roll of fat that continues onto your back. If that is the case, a revision will need to include the back roll or your dog ears will only be pushed further onto your back. Ask your surgeon about your options.

Also, it seems that the pigment of the nipples has not fully returned. This is easily correctable with a tattoo of the pale areas to match the color of your areolae.
This is so common following the free nipple graft technique that I include it in the cost of the original surgery. 

Sheldon Lincenberg, MD

Revision of FTM chest surgery

Thank you for your question.  The dog ears can usually be easily revised.  Is there anything else that you are displeased with?  The cost of the revision will depend on the extent of the revision as well as the geographical area you are in.  Best wishes and be safe.   

Josef Hadeed, MD, FACS

Revision FTM Top Surgery

Hi tyler,

Thanks for the post and pic. Certainly the dog ears can be corrected which includes not only removal of excess skin but also the fatty tissue in that area to allow the skin to lay flat. The cost greatly varies based on geography and surgeon experience. In many cases the original surgeon would charge much less to perform a revision on one of their own patients. However, if you are seeking a new surgeon then you will in all likelihood pay more.

Sincerely,

Dr. Dadvand

Babak Dadvand, MD

Revision surgery

The dog ears can be removed and the chest contours flattened.  Typically a revision operation of this type is less expensive than the double incision mastectomy.   The costs of revisions are determined at the consultation.  I would say they are in the $5000 range.

Gary Lawton, MD, FACS
San Antonio Plastic Surgeon

FTM chest revision

You need the scar curvature adjusted and the dog-ears removed.  I cannot give you the cost over this site. 

Gary J. Alter, MD