Will a Cooling Machine Provide Similar Effects to Cool Sculpting?

I have a DonJoy Iceman cold therapy system ( a cooling machine) that was used on my leg after ACL surgery. I was wondering if using this machine will have similar benefits to cool sculpting? I am able to adjust the coldness (although not exact) and I have all the cooling pads and straps to provide optimum coverage.

Coolsculpting by Zeltiq and its benefits

Coolsculpting was designed and studied by two Harvard trained dermatologists.  Significant studies and trials were performed before the procedure was FDA approved.  The timing, cold, and pressure were all analyzed.  Simply replacing it with cold therapy system will not be effective.

CoolSculpting is Patented and FDA Cleared

CoolSculpting holds the patent for cryolipolysis.  The CoolSculpting machine has been FDA-cleared for safety and effectiveness in targeting and destroying fat cells through cooling technology in a non surgical method.  CoolSculpting applicators have sensors in the plates near the body that act as safety gauges, among other things.  It is not recommended to imitate the CoolSculpting treatment through any other method.

The CoolSculpting website has a list of providers and top providers.  Top providers, such as my practice in Raleigh NC, may have special pricing that is not available to all practices.  Patients at my practice receive Instant Rebates and CoolSculpting Complete.  Instant Rebates can be used for a free CoolSculpting session with each session purchased.  CoolSculpting Complete includes dual machines, compression garments, and vibrational therapy. 

Michael Law, MD
Raleigh-Durham Plastic Surgeon

Cooling machines and Coolsculpting are not the same

We have been performing Coolsculpting since FDA approval three years ago.

There are no other similar machines currently available that do precisely what Coolsculpting does for patients.

Steven Hacker, MD
West Palm Beach Dermatologic Surgeon

Thank you for your question. You are experimenting, and any suggestions would be pure guesswork.  If you can make the results from the DonJoy Iceman do what Cool sculpting does to fat, then I see the makings of an interesting proposal to the manufacturer. I hope this helps.

Vivek Bansal, MD
Danville Plastic Surgeon

All Cooling is not the same

Though effective for injuries and post surgery, cooling devices like you mention are not recommended or safe to treat unwanted fat. Coolsculpting protects the skin from injury while treating to a precise degree and depth the fat in a specific area. There is no effective way to achieve this with a device meant for swelling or inflammation.  Be careful with experimenting with such things...the results can be disastrous. 

Grant Stevens, MD

Do not use any substitute for CoolSculpting for fat loss

Zeltiq, the company that got FDA approval for CoolSculpting to reduce fat volume spent much time and effort to investigate the safe parameters to freeze and kill fat cells. Cooling is not the same as freezing. The fat cells must die otherwise the results are only temporary.

Ronald Shelton, MD
Manhattan Dermatologic Surgeon

Cooling machine instead of CoolSculpting - What's the risk?

CoolSculpting is calibrated to safely supercool fat tissue without harming the epidermis. I'm not familiar with the settings on a cold therapy system or what kind of protective measures are involved, but you run the risk of damaging skin (with skin necrosis) if there is too much cold - which would be similar to frostbite. On the other end of the spectrum you might get no results at all.

The FDA puts systems through their paces to insure they are both safe and effective for their intended use. 

Is it worth the risk?

Rebecca Fitzgerald, MD