Hypersensitivity of the nipple post BA. Is this normal, and will it subside?

I received two different size implants to correct asymmetry. Both of my nipples seem to be more sensitive to temperature/touch and just in general, but it is more sensitive on the side with the larger implant. Is this normal, and will it subside?

Nipple hypersensitivity after breast augmentation

Yes this is not uncommon and usually passes after a period of time.  It can happen with any implant size although quite large implants can stretch the nerves more and cause nerve pain like you describe.  Rarely the hypersensitivity can persist for a long time.

Worcester Plastic Surgeon

Nipple issues

Is is fairly common to have some sensory issues after a breast augmentation. Often this gets better with time.  

Sensitivity

This is a very common concern that patients have after augmentation. The sensory nerves are under some degree of stress right now, so that is likely why you have this symptom. I cannot recall a case where this remained permanently, and it often subsides after about 6-12 weeks. Best wishes on your recovery.

Paul J. Leahy, MD
Leawood Plastic Surgeon

Nipple sensitivity

If you think about it, that part of your anatomy is now pushed out.  

So it is pretty common for the nipples to be very sensitive.  This typically resolves over time.

Whether or not one side is worse because of a larger implant or just random chance we cannot know.

Michael E. Decherd, MD
San Antonio Plastic Surgeon

Hypersensitivity following breast implants

Thank you for your question. You haven't said how long it is since your surgery but it is extremely common for patients to experience hypersensitivity for several weeks after the operation. This normally settles within a couple of months but can take longer and, very rarely, be permanent. 

James Murphy, FRCS(Plast)
Manchester Plastic Surgeon

Thank you for your question. Yes, it is quite common to experience hypersensitivity of the nipples in the early stages of recovery after breast augmentation. This hypersensitivity usually goes away after the first few weeks and most patients. Some patients do experience hypersensitivity for several months but this is unusual.

Congratulations on having undergone the breast augmentation procedure. The hypersensitivity of the nipple/areola complexes that you describe is quite common and self limited; these concerns generally improve over the course of several weeks/months. Very rarely, I have seen hypersensitivity issues persists for close to one year. Best wishes.

It is normal after breast surgery in general to experience either hypersensitivity or hyposensitivity. It should eventually subside, and can take months and in rare cases longer. 

Michael E. Ciaravino, MD