How many grafts needed for mid and crown area of head? (Photo)

i am planning to go for hair transplant for my crown and mid head area. could any please tell me how many grafts would be needed? earlier last year i had hair transplant for front area and my surgeon planted 3500 grafts for it.

How many grafts are required for this patients significant crown loss?

Dear gauravmishra,

Thank you for posting this question. You have a substantial amount of crown loss, extending into your bridge and frontal forelock. 3000+ grafts would be indicated. Also, it is important to consider methods to limit the amount of hair loss you will experience in the future. If you're going to have a hair restoration surgery, you don't want to end up in a situation where you are chasing further hair loss with multiple surgeries. This is especially true given the fact that there is plenty of more crown loss you could have, and given the fact that there are so many effective ways to prevent hair loss. These include the medication finasteride, low-level laser therapy, platelet-rich plasma procedures (which are non-surgical in nature), among others. I suggest you talk to your surgeon about both the number of grafts, and methods to prevent further hair loss.

Atlanta Hair Restoration Surgeon

Hair transplant to crown

You probably need 2500 to 3000 grafts to get adequate coverage for your crown and upto the frontal area. If you had a fairly wide strip taken just last year to get 3000 grafts, your scalp may still be tight and taking another strip may cause problems with a widened scar. You should consider a follicular unit extraction (FUE) method if this is the case. Also hybrid procedures (strip combined with FUE) can be done to get a larger number of grafts if needed.

Sumit Bapna, MD
Columbus Facial Plastic Surgeon

Evaluation of your condition

It is possible to provide you with an assessment of your condition with proper photos of your head from different angles. A consultation with an experienced surgeon will further give you a precise surgical plan along with an accurate estimate of the number of grafts necessary considering your calculated density, hair caliber, coverage value and number of hairs per follicle.

Koray Erdogan, MD
Istanbul Hair Restoration Surgeon

Masterplan -- supply and demand

Based on the photo, the mid and crown area is quite large.  If your remaining donor area allows, about 2000+ grafts would be necessary to give some reasonable converge to the mid and crown area.  Based on your total hair reserve and the area that requires hair restoration, your surgeon may recommend more or less.  It all has to do with your master plan and the importance of the crown area in relation with your hair supply and demand matching.

Parsa Mohebi, MD
Beverly Hills Hair Restoration Surgeon

You can certainly have 3500 grafts to your crown but if your expectation or understanding is wrong, you will have

You can certainly have 3500 grafts to your crown but if your expectation or understanding is wrong, you will have a disappointing result.  Thus it is best to see a doctor in person to discuss these issues.  Hair transplant is not about "number of grafts".

Jae Pak, MD
Los Angeles Hair Restoration Surgeon

How many grafts needed for mid and crown area of head?

Greetings

You will need 3000 graft and more. Loss of hair is a natural process when it is between the limits that the body can restore them. When the capacity of the body to restore the hair loss is beaten by the excessive hair loss then we can name this situation something that should be treated.

Bulent Cihantimur, MD
Turkey Plastic Surgeon

Grafts for balding area shown in the photo

The number of grafts for balding area shown in the photo would be substantial, at least 3000 grafts.  Ask your surgeon about it

William Rassman, MD
Los Angeles Hair Restoration Surgeon

You may need another 2000 or more

you have a large area to cover. Grafting would be done to the crown and mid-scalp area. It's tough to tell by photos but your hair looks fine which takes more grafts to give good coverage. Hopefully you have good density in the back to go another round. I'd consider FUE this time (assuming you may have had a strip procedure in the past). Taking out more strips will pull your thinning crown lower in the back. Micropigmenting ia something else to consider. Good luck!

Robert S. Houser, DO
Columbus Plastic Surgeon