Is it best to have tummy tuck and breast lift surgery separately or at the same time?

I am in need of a breast lift ( I'm a size D) and a full tummy tuck. My concern is since they are done together, I will be put under for a long time (6 + hrs) and that is close to the limit of 7 hours because of potential risks. Would it be better to separate them for less time under anesthesia and also for a better, more detailed job? Also, do doctors perform lipo on belly during a tummy tuck? I'm not excessively overweight; I just gained all my weight only in belly. Thanks for your professional opinion!

Combination Tummy Tuck and Breast Lift

Yes, a tummy tuck and a breast lift can be performed at the same time, and often is.  It can be done safely, and the doctor can still do a "detailed job".  Abdominal liposuction is also done frequently in my practice as part of an abdominoplasty, so that is typically not a problem, either.

I recommend visiting with several board certified plastic surgeons in your area to discuss your options and their approaches to give you the result you desire.  Best of luck!

TT and Lift

Thank you for your question and the Mommy Makeover is breast and abdominal surgery with or without liposuction done at the same time in patients who are in good health.

Dr. Corbin

Frederic H. Corbin, MD

Combination surgery

Thanks for your question.
Combination surgery (such as mommy makeover) is performed routinely and safely.
Please select an experienced, board-certified plastic surgeon. 
Your plastic surgeon will guide you to pre and post-op instructions that would optimize your result and safety.

During tummy tuck, liposuction of the waist and flanks is performed.  However, liposuction of the mid-abdomen is not performed at the same time as this can compromise the wound healing.

Best regards.

Tummy tuck and breast l,ift

Hello dear, thanks for your question!  A tummy tuck and breast lift is a great combination of surgeries to be done at the same time. I frequently do these together and also do liposuction of the hips and abdomen. When appropriate I will even preform liposuction of other parts of the body such as lateral back, lateral thighs, medial thighs and knees. If the patient is in good health without any medial problems there should be no problem with this amount of surgery as long as it can be completed in less then 6 hours. I ask my patients to have an evaluation by their primary care physician to clear them for surgery. While there are more risks with the longer surgery, I believe that the risks of multiple surgeries is also a problem. There is also the problem of multiple recovery periods with multiple different procedures.Make sure you are in the hand of a well trained and experienced Board Certified Plastic Surgeon who has done a good number of these combined procedures. Best wiches and good luck :)

Tania Medina de Garcia, MD

Tummy tuck and breast lift together

A tummy tuck and breast lift is what we call a Mommy Makeover.  This is not an uncommon pairing of procedures even though it may take awhile.  It is also better economically if you can do the procedure as one surgery rather than too.  I would suggest that you visit one or two board-certified plastic surgeons who can examine you in person and review your options with you.

Edwin C. Pound, III, MD

Planning mommy make-over

Thank you for asking about your mommy make-over.

• These procedures can be combined and often are but -
  • Ideally, they would be done separately -
  • Liposuction is usually done with a tummy tuck if it needed and it usually is (not always).
  • If you are a D, are you have a lift or a reduction as well - be sure you and your surgeon are clear what you want to achieve.
  • Breast lifts and reductions usually do not hurt - if done separately, you are likely to find the recovery fairly easy, as long as you don't do too much the first 2 weeks.(If you do - you risk a nasty infection.)
  • Find the right plastic surgeon for you and enjoy your result!
Always see a Board Certified Plastic Surgeon.
Hope you find this information helpful. Best wishes.

Combining cosmetic plastic surgery procedures of a tummy tuck, liposuction of selective areas and a breast lift is not uncommon. Whether you are a reasonable candidate for those procedures depends on your anatomy, your medical history, the extent of the procedures, realistic expectations of the outcome and an understanding of the pros and cons of the various procedures.

Safety should always be the main concern. It is generally recommended that the length of elective surgery be less than six hours. The procedures should be performed in an ambulatory facility that is accredited by one of the national organizations like the American Association for Accreditation of Ambulatory Surgical Facilities (AAAASF) or in a licensed hospital. Many surgeons would recommend an overnight stay at an appropriate facility where you can be appropriately monitored. Most patients prefer undergoing one anesthesia and one recovery period which is usually more cost effective.

Having said all of that, some ethical well trained plastic surgeons would feel that the combination you are asking about is excessive and has significant risks factors if performed in one stage.

Keep in mind that following the advice of any surgeon on this or any other web site who proposes to tell you what to do without: examining you, physically feeling the tissue, assessing your desired outcome, and taking a full medical history, as well as discussing the pros and cons of each operative option would not be in your best interest. I would suggest you find a Board Certified Plastic Surgeon certified by The American Board of
Plastic Surgery who is ideally a member of the American Society for Aesthetic Plastic Surgery (ASAPS) that you trust and are comfortable with, and discuss your concerns with that surgeon in person. That way, you can have a better idea what is safe and makes the most sense for you.

Before proceeding with a combination of these procedures, you should have medical clearance from your primary care physician and a discussion between him or her and your plastic surgeon.

Robert Singer, MD FACS

La Jolla, California

Robert Singer, MD
La Jolla Plastic Surgeon

Breast and abdominal surgery together or separately?

Thanks for your question. Breast and abdominal surgeries are frequently performed together in women who are through with their child birth years.  This is so common, we have come to call it "mommy-makeover."  This includes: breast augmentation, augmentation with a lift, pure breast lift or breast reduction combined with abdominoplasty and/or liposuction in really any combination. Patients who are in good health, at or near their ideal body weight, and good candidates for the contemplated surgeries can generally undergo these procedures in combination in one setting without significantly increased risk. The benefits include reduced cost over two separate surgeries and one recovery period instead of two, Good luck to you. 

Mark A. Deuber, MD

Mommy makeover combo surgeries

Breast surgery with tummy tuck is the most common combination of surgeries I perform. They pair well together and you may as well just recover from surgery once. 6-7hours is common for these surgeries and as long as you're healthy you should do just fine. Most of us also combine liposuction with our tummy tucks, yes. Best of luck to you. 

Mommy makeover

The answer to all of your questions is yes - we commonly do perform breast and body surgery together and also utilize liposuction to help with contouring at the same time. All of this is dependent on your past medical history and current health status.Your best bet would be to consult with a board certified plastic surgeon to evaluate what would be reasonable for you. Good luck!

Asaf Yalif, MD
Roswell Plastic Surgeon