Getting PRP while menstruating?

I'm set to get PRP to improve my eye area in 3 days but I JUST got my period and since they need to take blood I'm wondering if I have to cancel the procedure. Do I?

PRP needed for the under eye area is a very small amount, so it is safe to do during menstruation

I’m a board certified cosmetic surgeon practicing in Manhattan and Long Island for over 20 years. Platelet-rich plasma (PRP) is a very big part of the treatments and tools that I use in our practice every day. I love using PRP because it’s a great technology that helps our patients in many ways.

When we draw blood for PRP, we don’t use many tubes. This means that there’s no significant loss of blood which is the core of your concern of whether you could be at risk of anemia from the blood draw. An exemption is if you have particularly heavy periods that causes you to become anemic, or you’re chronically anemic. I still think it is negligible how much blood is taken for platelet-rich plasma, particularly for the under eye area. You don’t need a lot for this area as opposed to when we treat the full face, the neck, or when we treat scars. We also use PRP for a treatment we developed called Hair Regeneration which works very well and requires a certain number of tubes.

I suggest that you check with your doctor and ask more details of your medical history. In general, we really didn’t have any issues with PRP. For the under eye area, you don’t draw that much blood so it shouldn’t have any systemic issue. It’s more important that you talk to your doctor since your doctor knows you and the details of your medical history very well. Your doctor can also give you more customized guidance for your situation. I hope that was helpful, I wish you the best of luck, and thank you for your question.

New York Oculoplastic Surgeon