Can I Close Normal Ear Piercings?

I got my ears pierced when I was younger. I have recently noticed that they are extremely uneven. I have tried to ignore it, but it bothers me a lot. Would it be possible to close the holes and get them re-pierced? If so, how much would it cost?

Can I Close Normal Ear Piercings?

Yes you can!  If it is a normal piercing, and not stretched out due to heavy earrings, trauma, such as being pulled, or gauged, then it is generally a straightforward procedure.  Not only are my patients happy with the outcomes, but those that want to get them re-pierced to have them even are even happier to have had the correction.  Wishing you all the best.
Garrett A. Wirth, MD, MS, FACS

Yes, you can close normal ear piercings--and repierce at the same time.

Yes, you can certainly close normal ear piercings.  The process is the same as the one used for repairing "stretched out" holes.  Under local anesthesia, skin is removed from around the hole, and the hole is stitched closed.  We typically charge $425 for one ear or $725 for both.  This charge includes repiercing the ears at the same time (please bring small studs with you). 

Ronald Friedman, MD
Plano Plastic Surgeon

Repair of stretched or uneven earlobe holes

This happens all the time.  Holes can be uneven.  Holes can stretch over time, or are stretched after trauma, (kids pulling on earrings).  We close these holes often under local anesthesia in the office. Give your local facial plastic surgeon or board certified plastic surgeon a call.

Jeffrey J. Roth, MD, FACS

Closing Ear Piercings

Yes, it is absolutely possible to have the holes from ear piercings closed and then re-pierced after several weeks to months.  The technique in large part depends in part on how large the holes are and where the holes are positioned.  It could be as simple as cutting an ellipse of skin around the hole or more complex where more manipulation may be required.  The cost will vary depending on where you are located, how much manipulation is necessary, and if it is one sided or two.  Regarding re-piercing, I usually wait a minimum of two months before I do this procedure.

Carlo P. Honrado, MD, FACS

How Simple Is It To Close Pierced Earlobe Holes

Earlobes have a limited amount of skin and they have a shape that requires all the skin present for one earlobe to look like the other.  To remove an ear piercing hole, one often takes enough skin to distort the earlobe. 

I often take symmetrical wedges out of each earlobe and that way, keep the size exactly the same by incorporating the piercing within the wedge on each side.  Whenever you take a wedge out of an earlobe, to prevent denting at the edge of the earlobe, you need to do a tongue and groove pattern similar to the way old fashioned, fine furniture was made. 

Once the wound is healed, usually about six to eight weeks after closure, I use the Duffy Ear Piercer.  This is an excellent and little talked about plastic surgery tool made by Michael Duffy, M.D. and available commercially.  The repierced hole should be filled with a gold post with a relatively small gold ball fronting it.  The gold stud should be left in for approximately ten days.  It should be spun at least every other day, and washed gently with a very mild soap each day, but never removing it from the ear.  I normally do not allow my patients to use heavy earrings after an earlobe repair for about three months to allow significant wound healing and prevention of stretching of the newly healed tissue.

Cost of closing ear piercings

Thank you for the question. The average cost is $600-$1200. It depends whether its one side or both. The procedure is performed in the office under local anesthesia. The results are usually very good. Patient satisfaction is very high

Moneer Jaibaji, MD

Earlobe holes can be closed easily and painlessly.

For roughly $500 per earlobe the hole can be closed under local anesthesia and painlessly with no down time. Sincerely,

David Hansen,MD

David Hansen, MD
Beverly Hills Dermatologic Surgeon

Can I close Normal Ear Piercings

Yes.  Simple earlobe repairs are performed in the office under local anesthesia.  The track of the piercing is removed surgically, and the small open wound is then closed with fine sutures.  The cost is $450 per earlobe. 

Paul Fortes, MD

It is possible to repair stretched ear lobes

It is unfortunately common for piercings to become stretched over time.  This can be corrected by removing the scar tissue that forms the piercing and closing the hole with stitches.  For the best results, we typically recommend allowing the site to fully heal before repiercing.  This procedure is most commonly performed under local anesthesia.

Ear lobe reconstruction

Ear Lobe surgery cost varies significantly for a number of good reasons: Prices vary greatly because the surgery itself encompasses a wide range of techniques that can be performed to different extents. My recommendation is to first find the most qualified surgeons where you want the surgery performed that are board certified by the American Board of Plastic Surgery or Facial Plastic Surgeon you trust, then compare prices between them. See the below link on suggestions on how to find the most qualified plastic surgeon for your procedure. General Factors that influence the price of plastic surgery include:

1. Location - Most procedures will be performed in a doctor’s office where costs can be contained. If not will it be performed in a hospital or an independent out- patient facility? Geographical location also has a significant influence. RealSelf has average charges for most areas of the USA.

2. Type of Anesthesia – local anesthesia is typical and less costly. If IV sedation or General Anesthesia is used: Will a board certified anesthesiologist, nurse anesthetist, or an RN be used?

3. Experience and training of your surgeon. The best and longest trained is most often a plastic surgeon board certified by the American Board of Plastic Surgery

4. Length and Complexity of Surgery - how difficult will your surgery be and how long it will take, etc.