Are patients usually happy with saline breast implants?

Having ba surgery next week, originally decided on silicone mod unders, but the fact that an mri is recommended every few years to detect leaks just isn't sitting right with me. I am meeting with my ps Friday to make final decision, just curious what other patients satisfaction levels have been with saline. I want to go from an a cup to c, decided on 400cc, minimal breast tissue to start. Not super concerned with feel, look is more important to me. Thank you in advance.

Are patients happy with saline implants?

The question of saline vs silicone is a common one, and there are many misunderstandings of the tradeoffs between each implant.  If the implants are placed underneath the muscle and also a the serratus fascia laterally, there is no difference in appearance except in a very thin patient with large implants there can rarely be slight rippling laterally.  In patients with moderate size implants and some breast tissue, in my experience there is very little difference in the way they feel.
         The advantages of saline implants are that they are easier to follow (silicone leakage can be difficult to detect), easier to replace in many cases( silicone implant exchange often involves a partial or complete capsulectomy), and the risks of capsular contracture are significantly less in implants greater than 10 years old.
  Most of my patients choose saline implants unless they are very thin, have minimal breast tissue, and desire two or more changes in cup size.  Both implant types make a very high percentage of people happy, if the surgery is done well.

Saline vs silicone

Many patients do well with saline implants if they have a good amount of breast tissue to cover them. The rippling is definitely more pronounced with saline even when place under the muscle. If you are and A cup, I would be concerned about how much coverage you would have. As another colleague stated, the MRI is only recommended. Most of my breast augmentation patient chose silicone. I am fairly certain that none of my patients have ever had a "surveillance" MRI.Certainly you need to discuss this with your surgeon in more detail. Best wishes for your decision!

Ellen A. Janetzke, MD
Birmingham Plastic Surgeon

Satisfaction with Saline Implants

Thank you very much for your question.  Most patients are quite satisfied with saline implants for breast augmentation if they are well informed about the pros and cons of both choices.  In patients with significant breast tissue, wrinkling and palpability is usually not a major issue and patients are usually very happy.  When you have very little breast tissue, then it becomes more of an issue. With an A cup with little breast tissue and your desires to go up 400 cc with saline implants, you will definitely have palpability and in the long term wrinkling in addition to a firmer feel than silicone.  If you accept that reality as a trade off for not having MRI's or concerns about undetected rupture associated with silicone, then saline would be an ok choice.  If those issues are going to be  a concern, then silicone would be a better choice.   You can also switch from saline to silicone in the future if you have issues with wrinkling and palpability, which is improved with silicone. Best wishes.

Breast Implants with Saline Implants

Thank you for your question. The majority of patients in my practice decide on Silicone implants with their Breast Augmentation surgery. Silicone has a much more natural look and feel to it. The FDA only RECOMMENDS that an MRI be done. Digital Mammography is such a good diagnostic tool the need for MRI's are typically reserved for patients that are having a true problem. Best of luck.

Ed Breazeale, Jr., MD
Knoxville Plastic Surgeon

Saline vs silicone

Bot saline and silicone are excellent choices for implants. I have performed many surgeries with both implants. It is a personal choice to determine which one you want to go with.

Satisfaction with saline implants

Hello, satisfaction with saline implants can be high.  On the other hand, I don't recommend my patients with silicone implants get an MRI every few years to look for a rupture.  If newer gel implants do rupture the gel does not migrate so I am not sure about the value of ongoing tests to look for a rupture in the absence of any symptoms or cosmetic concerns.  Perhaps there are different recommendations in your country/region.

Patients are happy with saline breast implants.

True, patients are happy with saline breast implants, and are a very good option for those who worry about implant leak and the need for MRI with silicone gel. The look is very often indistinguishable from silicone gel, though as others have said sometimes a ripple or edge can be felt to the side of the breast. With proper fill we find the implant feel is soft as well.

Silicone implants versus saline implants

For anyone who is concerned about silicone surveillance, saline implants are a great option.   Patient satisfaction with breast augmentation is universally positive regardless of the specific implant which was chosen.   Saline does have a slightly increased potential to ripple along the edges, especially in very thin patients.   

Joseph Franklin, MD
Durham Plastic Surgeon

Saline versus silicone implants

This question is a common one that many patients ask when undergoing breast augmentation.  Silicone implants tend to give a more "natural" feel and result.  The newer generation of silicone implants are very different from the implants that used to be available and are very safe.  However, if you have any doubt, saline implants can give very nice results as well.  There definitely is more firmness to saline implants especially if you have minimal breast tissue present.  Make sure you discuss all of your options with your plastic surgeon.

Naveen Setty, MD

Choosing Saline or Silicone Breast Implants

Saline implants are often recommended for patients who are concerned about the additional testing associated with silicone implants. For years saline implants were the only option while silicone implants were being reviewed by the FDA for safety. Saline implants are more firm (depending on the fill volume) and have more ripples, but if they are placed under the muscle the rippling is less visible in the upper and middle (cleavage) portion of the breasts. It is best to discuss all of this with your surgeon in detail prior to proceeding with surgery. 

Suzanne M. Quardt, MD
Palm Springs Plastic Surgeon