My face is uneven after Sculptra. Should I apply more? (photos)

I had about 3 injections of sculptra during the past 13 months. I really liked but my mom (who didnt see me for 2 years) told me my face looks "strange". Bigger on one side. So I took a picture and realized she is correct! What can be done? I am 37 yo. 114 lb

Uneven After Sculptra

I am pleased to hear Sculptra has been working well for you! Sculptra is a volumizer that utilizes poly-L-lactic acid to gradually stimulate the body’s own collagen, creating natural-looking, long-lasting results. Patients are typically treated once a month for about 3-4 sessions to help restore volume to such areas as the cheeks and temples.

Most of us have some level of asymmetry in regards to facial volume due to such things as driving and sleeping habits. The unevenness you are noticing may be attributed in part to these factors, as well as your physician’s injection technique, and your body’s natural collagen response.

Because you have found such great success with Sculptra, you may want to consider having another session focusing solely on the “smaller” side of your face. This should help to achieve more symmetry in your face, however as you know, it will take some time. If you are looking for a more immediate result, consult with a board certified Dermatologist about other hyaluronic acid filler options. Best of luck!

Irvine Dermatologic Surgeon

Sculptra and correcting asymmetry

Thank you for your question for sharing your photos. I tend to use Sculptra a lot to help correct asymmetry between one side and the other. The asymmetry is often caused by sleeping habits or by asymmetric exposure to the environment such as driving.  To help correct the asymmetry, I tend to do an asymmetric treatment to help boost the deficient side. At this point after three treatments, you may want to do some fine-tuning with Sculptra to help correct the minor asymmetry between one side and the other. 

Sculptra and uneven facial results

Sculptra is a great product that gradually produces your own natural collagen in the injected area.  If you are uneven in a certain area then I would recommend you returning for more Sculptra in that area.  If you want immediate results you can also consider having Voluma injected to even out the area quickly.  Whichever injection you decide, please consult a board certified dermatologist with a great deal of experience with facial cosmetic injections.

Scluptra and uneveness

Sculptra works well in the right hands and in the right patients.  As part of the consultation and prior to the initial treatment photos are taken to establish baseline and track results.  In your case I would first check your baseline photos to determine if the asymmetry was present prior to injection.  To correct the asymmetry, you may consider  another vial of sculptra but focused on a specific area, or try any of the other fillers for immediate results.  Good luck

Reuel Aspacio, MD, FAAD

Sculptra for facial uneveness

Sculptra can help build collagen over time. Any uneveness experienced may be due to technique or how your body is laying down collagen. A touch up session is usually effective in correcting uneveness.

Jose E. Barrera, MD, FACS
San Antonio Facial Plastic Surgeon

Asymmetry and Fillers

Most people have asymmetry and you should look back at your origional photos to see what your originoal anatomy is.  More fillers can be injected.  Best, Dr. Emer.

Most people aren't symmetric before fillers

Not sure if the Sculptra is the cause or not. However, injecting more on the side with a deficit can improve the symmetry. Most people have more volume loss on the left side in the US because of the sun causing more skin damage on that side when driving.

Steven F. Weiner, MD