Can a doctor change the spacing between breasts?

I'm thinking about getting a breast augmentation and so is my aunt. She went to a doctor who told her that there isn't anything the doctor can do about spacing and that the implant lays where your normal boobs would lay. But I've seen so many people who's boobs are SO far apart after surgery and I'm afraid it will happen to me because my boobs are so small I can't really tell how big the gap is between my boobs. Can doctors really not change it?

Changing the distance between breasts?

The result that your surgeon can obtain is highly dependent on exactly where you are starting from. Breast implants do not by themselves push the breasts closer towards one another. By careful attention to implant placement and a sound decision on whether to place them above or below the chest muscle, a surgeon may be able to decrease to apparent distance or at least render it less imbalance. Plan to consult a Board Certified Plastic Surgeon who can demonstrate plenty of experience with individuals with features like yours. 

Norfolk Plastic Surgeon

Can you get cleavage with widely spaced breasts?

To some degree this is true. IF your breasts are very far apart and the nipples are widely spaced, it may be very difficult to achieve great cleavage.

In most instances if your nipples are widely spaced, you must place the implants so that the nipples are centered on the implants. If you place the implants to enhance the cleavage area, you may find that the nipples appear to fall off the outer portions of the implant giving you a strange appearance.

However, I have found that selective use of fat transfer with fat grafting to the inner portions of the breast may be able to enhance the cleavage area without creating an unusual appearance to the breasts and nipple placement.

I call this the tri-planar breast augmentation

Breast separation and implant separation

The space between your breasts is predetermined and can't be changed. In fact if the implants are placed closer together than your body allows, then you can see more rippling in your cleavage area and the nipple/areolas may start to face outward. I would focus on getting an improvement with the surgery rather then perfection. Having a consultation with an experienced, board certified plastic surgeon will be helpful in understanding postop expectations

Width between the breasts

The factors that determine the width between the breasts. Those with a wide breast bone (sternum) and thicker muscle will have a greater distance. It is important to measure and get the width of the implants to fit well.

Factors that can potentially make the implants closer include, subfascial placement over the muscle, a narrow breastbone and under the muscle, adequate width or wider implants. A cohesive gel textured implant has less tendency to fall laterally over time, some droop, and a few women just have very different breasts.

Change Spacing Between the Breasts

In some circumstances, the distance between the breasts can be changed, especially if the implants are placed above the muscle.  Without pictures, it's difficult to make any recommendations, but what's really needed is an in-person consultation with an experienced breast surgeon.  They will be able to carefully examine you, discuss your goals, and come up with the best option for you.  If they don't think that narrowing the cleavage is possible in your case, they should be able to tell you that also.

Dr. Dan Krochmal

MAE Plastic Surgery

Northbrook, IL

Daniel Krochmal, MD
Chicago General Surgeon

Breast Augmentation

This is an interesting question.The size of the base of the implant does have an effect on the distance between the breasts . So what this translates to is the larger the volume of the implant the greater the width and the closer together the two implants are. Computer imaging would be useful for you to see and understand the differences in the various implants.

When we complete breast augmentation the breast implant is centered in the natural breast behind the nipple. If your natural breast spacing is broad the nipple cannot be moved, though the diameter of the implant can affect the apparent space or cleavage. Lower profile implants will look less gappy than high profile and might work best for your situation.

Thank you for sharing your question.  There is some improvement that can be made with implants as they sit on a woman's chest.  The limit of change depends on a woman's breast bone width and attachment of their chest muscles relative to one another.  The closer they are, the closer the implants can be placed.  See an ASPS board certified plastic surgeon, they can offer the most information to you after an in-person examination.  Hope this helps.

Spacing Between Breasts?

It is true that your natural anatomy dictates the spacing between your breasts to a large degree.  There are some things that can be done during surgery to help decrease the appearance of the spacing, but ultimately your own anatomy really sets that distance.  The only way to know what sort of spacing you might have, or your aunt might have, would be to come for a consultation and see what ultimately will work best for you.

There are limitations to breast augmentation. The shape and position of a breast on the chest determines the final result, and not all breast characteristics can be changed. In your case, it is best to be evaluated by a skilled plastic surgeon who can explain what can and can't be done. See link below for examples. 

Karol A. Gutowski, MD, FACS