3 weeks post op Kybella still don't see improvement & have ice pack burn. I have a lump has decreased. Does that go away?(photo)

The swelling has down as days pass however i dont really see a difference from my original profile.  I feel like it is bigger than before.  I have a lump now that is hard.  Is that normal? will that go away? I still feel a bit difficult to swallow due to this lump.  I am suppose to get checked at 6 weeks because I got bruised and burned using icepack.  

Kybella Swelling -- FDA approved for Submental Fat, Non Surgical Option But Still New

Kybella takes 3-6 treatments to see the improvement.  Hard lump that you feel now means you will get more results later.  I find that VASER liposuction is the way to go to get neck / jawline contouring in a quick safe result.  Best, Dr. Emer.

Kybella results

Lumps are a common following Kybella. Don't be alarmed. And it is not unusual to feel as if there's no difference after just one treatment as it typically takes 2-4 treatments to get your final results. Be patient and check back in with your surgeon at the 6 week post op mark and discuss your next steps.

Kindly,

Kouros Azar

Kouros Azar, MD
Thousand Oaks Plastic Surgeon

Lumps from Kybella

Kybella is a great way to reduce submental fat and get rid of your double chin.  Lumps are common after the injection.  If you have a burn from the ice or anything else that you are concerned with you should return to your treating physician.  It typically takes 2 to 4 treatments of Kybella to have the full results.  I often combine Kybella with Thermage for skin tightening. Please consult an expert.  Best, Dr. Green

Kybella Swelling

Thank you for your question. Swelling from Kybella can last a few weeks depending on the person and some people may need more than 1 treatment to see the best results (3-4 treatments). Lumps and bumps are normal. If it persists for longer than 3 more weeks, please schedule a follow up appointment you’re your physician so that they may review the area.

Bruce E. Katz, MD

3 weeks post op Kybella still don't see improvement & have ice pack burn. I have a lump has decreased. Does that go away?

Hello chispa.8,

You should not expect to see any real improvement after one treatment at 3 weeks.  It takes at least 2 treatments and up to 4 treatments to get a result.  Because you can have some numbness in the treated area after Kybella, it is important not to put anything directly from the freezer on the area (like ice).  It is also common to feel lumps in the area that was treated.  This should go away with time.  By 6 weeks the lumps should be gone and most if not al of the numbness will be gone.  That is when you get your next treatment.  The process starts over but the swelling won't be as much.  This is when you also start to see your result.

I hope this helps and good luck.  

William Marshall Guy, MD
The Woodlands Facial Plastic Surgeon

Kybella, swelling, and expectations

Many patients require multiple treatments to obtain the desired affects with Kybella.  For many patients, 2 or 3 treatments provide significant improvement in the contour of the skin beneath the chin.  Swelling is a common side effect after treatment and can last several days.  Careful icing of the treated area can help reduce the swelling and discomfort.

Jill C. Fichtel, MD
Columbus Dermatologic Surgeon

Kybella recovery

Patients can experience swelling and redness after Kybella for several days after the injection. Patients will experience an improvement in their profile with permanent fat reduction after three to four treatments. I emphasize to patients to allow the product to work and the results have been amazing

Frank J. Ferraro, MD
Paramus Plastic Surgeon

Kybella concerns

Thanks for the question.  In your case, i would guess you will need 2-3 treatments to get good effect.  It usually takes 4-6 weeks for the first treatment to take full effect, so don't become discouraged yet.  Sometimes the swelling can persist for several weeks and lumps and bumps are normal.  They should settle out over time.  See your injector as soon as possible so they can assess you and reassure you that everything should be okGood Luck

Kybella / Liposuction/ Radio frequency/ Cool Sculpting / CoolMini / Neck Laxity / Botox / Double Chin Treatment

I appreciate your question.

Results are patient dependent and can take up to 6 treatments.  The hardness or 'lump' that you feel is the cause of inflammation.  You will see the results from the treatment once the swelling goes away and the skin has had time to tighten. Full results from a single treatment are usually complete at 6-8 weeks.  I would follow up with your MD at 6 weeks for evaluation.

The best way to assess and give true advice would be an in-person exam.
Please see a board-certified plastic surgeon that specializes in aesthetic and restorative plastic surgery.

Dr. Schwartz

Kybella

It takes weeks for the firmness and lumps to sometimes subside from kybella; occasionally the area treated will look worse initially, but then eventually improve. It can take anywhere from 2-4 sessions from kybella to have its full effect, so I would re-visit with your MD at your 6 week follow up. You can definitely stop icing the area now. Best, Anita Gill MD

Anita Arora Gill, MD
The Woodlands Dermatologic Surgeon