Cheeks Sagging at 34? (photo)

I have noticed my cheeks sagging and I have just turned 34. I am a uk size 12 so could lose some weight but would definitely not consider myself obese. I did go down to a size 8 a few years back quite quickly so I am not sure if losing weight then gaining it again has caused this to happen. I am keen to get back to a size 10 gradually, would this help reduce my sagging cheeks or make it worse? Also is there anything else I can do? I am happy to try facial massage, trying to avoid surgery.

Doctor Answers 9

Periorbital aging a 34 is probably best handled by volume enhancement.

A 34 some individuals may have modest volume loss in the periorbital area. This is easily treated with fillers.

Atlanta Plastic Surgeon
4.7 out of 5 stars 35 reviews

Prematurely Sagging Cheeks

Rapid or repetitive weight loss and weight gain may contribute to jowl formation (as well as prematurely sagging skin all around). Cigarettes and excessive sun exposure also contribute to accelerated loss of tissue volume in the face, which leads to jowling. For now, I advise you to pursue non-surgical jowl lift under the care of a board certified dermatologist or plastic surgeon. Radiesse looks to be the ideal filler for your needs.

Sanusi Umar, MD
Redondo Beach Dermatologic Surgeon
4.6 out of 5 stars 32 reviews

Premature Aging at 34?

The natural aging process causes our cheek volumes to descend, evacuating the under-eye area, causing pronouncement of the nasolabial folds, and contributing to the creation of the jowls. Looking at your photo, it would seem your cheek volume is changing in the normal, expected manner, but potentially a little early. Do you have hyper-reflexive joints? Easy bruising? Excessive skin laxity? Any family history of connective tissue disorders such as Ehlers Danlos syndrome? I would make sure all the answers to these questions are negative before doing anything.  You mentioned you would like to avoid surgery, so that leaves less invasive methods. I think injectables would be the most beneficial:  Sculptra to your high cheeks/cheekbones, Restylane to your under eye area / tear troughs, and perhaps Perlane or Radiesse to your nasolabial folds.  All of this can easily be done in the office in just a short time. And no surgery! Good luck  -Dr. Capone

Randolph Capone, MD, FACS
Baltimore Facial Plastic Surgeon
4.7 out of 5 stars 51 reviews

Cheeks sagging at 34

the photo does show early jowling. Possible correctional techniques to consider:

weight loss, radiofrequency skin tightening (thermage), infra-red skin tightening (Cutera's Titan), Liposuction +/- S-lift, Fillers such as Voluma in front of the jowl fullness to minimize the jowling.


Ask you surgeon the benefits of each as well as the results, complications etc

David A. F. Ellis, MD
Toronto Facial Plastic Surgeon
3.5 out of 5 stars 8 reviews

Sagging cheeks

in this limited photo you do appear to have some descent of your malar cheek area and jowl. At 34 this may well have a genetic component to it. Options could range from volume filler such as Sculptra to some form of cheek lift. It would all depend on a complete exam and discussion of goals.

Michael L. Schwartz, MD
West Palm Beach Facial Plastic Surgeon
4.8 out of 5 stars 12 reviews

Sagging Cheeks

The drooping of your cheeks is a natural age related change.  At your young age, I would recommend Radiesse filler to the cheeks.  This can help restore the "apple" back to your cheek.  The downside is that it only lasts 1 - 2 years.  Autologous fat transfer is another option, but in my experience can be unpredictable.  I don't think message will be of benefit.

Steven J. Covici, MD
Springfield Oculoplastic Surgeon
4.3 out of 5 stars 15 reviews

Early facial aging

There are some folks who usually for genetic reasons or maybe from weight issues, will show early signs of facial aging like gravitational descent of the cheeks.  While the photo is a very limited view and an in person exam is needed, you do look like you have some sagging going on.  Perhaps a cheek lift would help.  Sometimes fillers in the cheek bone region can also pull up and redrape sagging tissues a little without surgery.

Richard P. Rand, MD, FACS
Seattle Plastic Surgeon
4.8 out of 5 stars 67 reviews

Surgery for the sagging face.

Surgery for the sagging face is usually needed to remove the excess. I would need to see better photos to say what type--facelift probably. Fillers can temporarily improve the depressions but have to be repeated every 1-2 years.

Toby Mayer, MD
Beverly Hills Facial Plastic Surgeon
4.8 out of 5 stars 34 reviews

Cheeks sag at 34

It is not easy to give you an educated answer without all the facts. That is important. If it is just a volume issue then fat grafting can be done and there is no scars or incisions. You could also consider a cheek implant, but a physical exam is best to decide. My best advice is to visit with a board certified plastic surgeon who will truly access your issues and give you an honest opinion vs the opinion you want to hear.

Raj S. Ambay, MD
Tampa Plastic Surgeon
4.3 out of 5 stars 34 reviews

These answers are for educational purposes and should not be relied upon as a substitute for medical advice you may receive from your physician. If you have a medical emergency, please call 911. These answers do not constitute or initiate a patient/doctor relationship.