Can Cheek Implants Help with Bulging Eyes?

Not a medical condition, thyroid etc. tested; runs in family.

Doctor Answers 7

Cheek Implants

{{ voteCount >= 0 ? '+' + (voteCount + 1) : (voteCount + 1) }}

Sadly, no. You should consider lower Blepharoplasty for the removal of the lower eyelid bags. I have performed this procedure using an incision on the inside of the lower eyelid for over 20 years and published a paper on this technique in 1990.

Beverly Hills Facial Plastic Surgeon
4.7 out of 5 stars 28 reviews

Cheek implants for bulging eyes

{{ voteCount >= 0 ? '+' + (voteCount + 1) : (voteCount + 1) }}

Cheek implants are a possibility for improving the genetic tendency towards bulging of the eyes. I'd recommend a consultation with a board certified plastic surgeon for his or her recommendation regarding your exact situation.

Deason Dunagan, MD
Huntsville Plastic Surgeon

Bulging eyes

{{ voteCount >= 0 ? '+' + (voteCount + 1) : (voteCount + 1) }}

As long as the commonly known medical causes have been ruled out, bulging eyes may present in several ways for cosmetic correction.  The position of the globe relative to the orbital rim is the first thing surgeons will evaluate, then, there is the relationship of the cheek fat to the orbital fat.  The muscular support must be evaluated as well as the amount of fat surrounding the eye, and the laxity of supporting ligaments, and finally, don't forget the skin conditions.  Because there are so many variables to consider, several consultations are recommended to learn about your specific anatomic structure and how these issues will be addressed. 

Bulging Eye Treatment with Cheek Implants

{{ voteCount >= 0 ? '+' + (voteCount + 1) : (voteCount + 1) }}

Bulging eyes first must be evaluated for medical conditions, such as thyroid problems or allergies. Once medical conditions have been evaluated and you are considering cosmetic improvement, then facial plastic surgery for bulging eyes have many options.

One may either add volume to the area below the lower eyelids or cheeks. Volume enhancement may be with silicone implants, facial fillers, or fat grafting. Volume may need to be removed from the eyes with fat removal of the bulges or bags. Alternatively, the eye itself can be set back by giving it more room within the skull. Standard blepharoplasty or eyelid surgery alone may not the best option, and could potentially make the eyes appear to bulge more.

Only after a comprehensive evaluation by a plastic surgeon specialist can he/she help determine appropriate options for you.

Houtan Chaboki, MD
Washington DC Facial Plastic Surgeon
4.9 out of 5 stars 89 reviews

Fillers instead of cheek implant

{{ voteCount >= 0 ? '+' + (voteCount + 1) : (voteCount + 1) }}

In your case fillers like Radiesse applied in sufficient volume  subperiostealy in the malar region may be an option instead of hard  implants. Trimming of the lower lid fat pads by trans conjuctival approach will reduce or eliminate  the bulging  look with out  the potential complications of an open approach lower lid bleph. However be aware that the Radiesse filler is not permanent and may have to be repeated after it gets absorbed in several months

Zain Kadri, MD
Los Angeles Facial Plastic Surgeon

Cheek implants help with bulging eyes

{{ voteCount >= 0 ? '+' + (voteCount + 1) : (voteCount + 1) }}

Yes there can be a very slight camouflage of the bulge. But you must be evaluated in person so to determine whether additional orbital re positioning is really needed.

Cheek implants for bulging eyes

{{ voteCount >= 0 ? '+' + (voteCount + 1) : (voteCount + 1) }}

Cheek implants can improve the appearance of bulging eyes.  If the area below the eyes over the cheek is extremely flat or depressed, cheek implants combined with a lower blepharoplasty vs a lower blephraoplasty alone can give an enhanced aesthetic appearance.  Lower blepharoplasty alone may lead to a hollowed out appearance to your lower lid region if the cheek is not addressed. 

Etai Funk, MD
Houston Facial Plastic Surgeon
4.9 out of 5 stars 69 reviews

These answers are for educational purposes and should not be relied upon as a substitute for medical advice you may receive from your physician. If you have a medical emergency, please call 911. These answers do not constitute or initiate a patient/doctor relationship.