Off Center Belly Button After Tummy Tuck. Should I Leave It or Have It Fixed? (photo)

I am afraid to go through the surgery again. I'm unhappy that my belly button is off centered. Is there any chance that it may be fixed by itself? My surgeon said I might have popped a stitch.

Off center belly button

It's off by about a centimeter. I would not try to shift it as the result and scar may actually be worse that how it appears now. 

Honolulu Plastic Surgeon

Belly button location after tummy tuck

The location of the belly button after a tummy tuck is actually determined by pre-exiating anatomy. It is not even possible to move it more than slightly with a standard (full) abdominoplasty. An interesting study was published a few years ago showing that the belly button is not midline in most people to begin with. However, it might look better whn swelling subsides.

Richard Baxter, MD

Belly Button Slightly Off

Thank you for the photographs. It does appear a bit of center but this may be better once all the swelling is gone and healing is complete.  I would re-evaluate it then.  The necessary treatment if it is off center is worse than the belly button position.

Dr. ES

Swelling in the early weeks after abdominoplasty can make the umbilicus look off-center.

Swelling may give the illusion of the navel off-center. If it remains out of place after the swelling has subsided it can be repositioned with a small procedure under local anesthesia.

Off Center Belly Button After Tummy Tuck. Should I Leave It or Have It Fixed?

A posted before photo is needed to determine if the off centered is anatomic or iatrogenic in nature.