African american having surgery in South Korea? (photo)

Doctors, I've been surfing on the net looking for a good surgeon that can give me a drastic change. I found a site that showed two african american women who had surgery in korea and i have to admit, the after results are unbelievable. Do you think these pictures are real amd also do you think an african american woman can have surgery in south korea? I'm currently looking for a surgeon that can change my appearance by doing a rhinoplasty and coutouring my face.

Interesting question

Dear Goals,

This is a fascinating question, especially because Koreans are famed for their skill in facial plastic surgery and because Asian and African-American noses share common features; goals of both demographics overlap (tip support, improvement of a bulbous tip, dorsal augmentation, alar base reduction, etc). Because of the sizable Western military presence and a hearty ex-patriate community, it is likely that many surgeons have experience treating African American noses. And yes, I do think the pictures are real, but they are not taken at the same angle, in the same light, and without makeup, so they may not accurately reflect the degree of change that was obtained.

I have had the privilege of spending time in Seoul with plastic surgeons and I must say they do an excellent job. However, my experience may not speak for every surgeon in Korea. I do think you owe it to yourself to be treated in the USA. Here's why:

1. Ethnic plastic surgery incorporates more than anatomy, there is an important cultural component too. While surgeons in Korea may demonstrate impressive results, there may be important communication obstacles. Because the culture is so different, the surgeon and his team may not understand what it is you really want. If you go to Korea make sure your surgeon "gets you" and convincingly understands what you want.

2. Postoperative care. I think this speaks for itself. Not only is it important to have your caretaker within reach during the early postoperative period, but long-term followup with your original provider is important for both parties. It also might be nice to recover in the company of friends and family in a familiar environment.

In summary, I do think it's reasonable for an African American to pursue care in Korea. I do think the Korean plastic surgeons are excellent and, if you choose a well-known one, safe. However, American specialists of ethnic and African American rhinoplasty do just as good a job in the comfort of your home community. More importantly, they are more likely to understand you- and what it is you really want!

Newport Beach Physician

Open rhinoplasty, some advices:

Thank you very much for the questions.
The harmony between facial parts makes us instinctively recognize the beauty... without knowing it, without defining it, just a perception that surprises and captivates us.

In this regard, After having analyzed all the info. and photos provided to us, i recommend you perform an Open Full Rhinoplasty, includding narrowing of the nasal base and nostrils, with nasal bones treatment (controled fracture) and alar + triangular nasal cartilages re-shaping.
With this procedure you get a delicate nose, better harmonize with your other facial features.

Dr. Emmanuel Mallol.-

Emmanuel Mallol Cotes, MD

AA rhino in South Korea

Hello and thanks for your query. The first set of photos seem reasonable and quite doable. The second set however appears to be 2 different models. I believe that the results that you seek can be achieved by a BCPS depending upon your appearance and realistic goals. You'll need to do a bit of research before booking a consultation. Good luck. 

Dr. Burnett

African-American rhinoplasty

Any photographs on the Internet can be real or can be false. They can be real and be photoshopped  as well.The type of results which are shown certainly can be possible in the hands of an expert rhinoplasty surgeon. Most countries have specific rhinoplasty experts who are leaders in the field. Korea is one of the countries where there are excellent cosmetic surgeons. However, knowing who to choose becomes a dilemma. Please look for the credentials for the international Society of aesthetic plastic surgery (ISAPS).  In America, make sure the plastic surgeon is board certified, furthermore a member of the American Society of aesthetic plastic surgery (ASAPS), and look for the highest quality in The Rhinoplasty Society. 

James Fernau, MD, FACS
Pittsburgh Plastic Surgeon

Afroamerican rhinoplasty

The country is not important, the main thing is the skills and experience of the surgeon about afroamerican rhinoplasties. These noses are extremely challenging, they need massive supply of new structures, grafts, redefinition, etc, to reshape the tip which very typically lacks all the necessary support (that's why it flattens wide and the patients have no tip definition).

So search around for a surgeon experienced in these cases.

The first set of photos has lots of digital retouch, not realistic at all.

Alejandro Nogueira, MD
Spain Plastic Surgeon

Korea is dangerous

Nearly every week there are articles about bad plastic surgery in Korea. There are articles claiming that Korea is the most dangerous medical tourism place in the world. It is so bad that the "real" plastic surgeons have even petitioned the government to tighten regulations. Why would a Korean Plastic Surgeon have skills with African American women?

Donald W. Kress, MD, FACS
Frederick Plastic Surgeon