4 weeks post op Tummy Tuck, I am numb and have bubbles. Is this normal?

I am 4 weeks post mini tummy tuck with lipo, muscle repair and a moved belly button. My upper ab muscles hurt and every now and then i get almost like a bubble feeling moving up ab and then it goes away. It hurts to sneeze and cough. Also i am numb and at same time my tummy feels SO sensitive to the touch or shirt rubbing. I am hoping its just the nerve recovering but it is so weird.

All of these symptoms sound normal to me. The numb feeling will go away over time as the nerves grow back. A nerve only grows about 1 millimeter a day so it takes time for it to restore lost feeling (I would say 3 to 6 months). Sometimes the area directly under the bellybutton stays numb as the area the bellybutton was brought out block the nerve from growing towards the lower incision. The hypersensitivity will also get better. One technique that help is to massage the area this seems to quiet down the nerves. If you need further reassurance make an appointment to see your surgeon as I am sure they will be happy to explain these symptoms.

Aurora Plastic Surgeon

Pain and strange feelings after tummy tuck

Thank you so much for your question about your tummy tuck healing

What you are describing sounds quite normal. The 'bubble' feeling may be a minor spasm of muscle fibers or a sensation of the suture as it settles or absorbs. It is best to have your surgeon check this.

The numbness is normal and so is the skin sensitivity.
These changes take time to go away - often six months or longer. But as long as they are slowly getting better, things should be fine.

Here’s hoping you find this helpful. Have a great day!

Concerns with tummy tuck

You're having pain when coughing and sneezing due to the muscle tightening. It is totally normal to have numbness of your skin after surgery. This will last for several months. Concerning the sensation of bubbling I would visit with your surgeon.  

Pain after mini tummy tuck

It sounds like you are recovering normally from your procedure. It is not unusual to have abdominal spasm and/or numbness after liposuction.

i would recommend you follow up with your surgeon.

Numb abdomen after surgery

you might find your symptoms unusual but all the things you are feeling sound normal, if you have any doubt you can ask your plastic surgeon, these feeling can go on for some more time so dont get nervous and keep on recovering. Good luck!

Australia Fragoso-Baez, MD