Not allowed to take and Vitamins/Evening Primrose capsules before my breast augmentation surgery?

I'm having my breast augmentation surgery in a month and I just had my pre-assessment. The nurse I saw asked me if I take any natural remedies/vitamins and I explained I take a lots Vitamins to make sure I never have a vitamin deficiency etc. I take Vitamin C, E, D, Calcium, Magnesium and B6, B complex and cod liver oil and evening primrose, however, my nurse told me to stop taking all of these 1-2 weeks before my surgery and I was just wondering why? What would they affect? Thank you!

Pre Op Supplements

Different surgeons will have different protocols but in general, anything which may affect how you bleed and clot before surgery or directly afterwards is to be avoided. In my practice I allow a multivitamin but not herbal supplements, not fish oils/omegas and certain medications. I recommend that you follow your Plastic Surgeon & nurse's advise as they have your safety in mind.
Take care

Breast augmentation - why can't I take my OTC supplements

Thank you for asking about your breast augmentation.
  • Many OTC supplements and vitamins will increase you bleeding and create problems for you
  • Please stop all medicines as instructed - unless your surgeon specifically approves certain of them, e.g. the Vitamin D.
  • You will not become vitamin deficient not taking them -
  • Some vitamins, minerals and supplements can cause problems 
  • These include vitamin E, Mg, cod liver oil and evening primrose.
  • Always see a Board Certified Plastic Surgeon. Best wishes  - Elizabeth Morgan MD PHD FACS

Natural remedies/vitamins

Good question.  My personal protocol is to provide pre-operative information regarding medications that I prefer not be taken pre and post operatively.  Some medications can increase the chance of bleeding for example.  That being said, best to follow the particular request of your plastic surgeon.  Good luck.