Keller funnel pros and cons?

Pros and cons of Keller funnel? If they are so great why don't all surgeons use them? Do they really make a huge difference in the size of your scars when going through th crease?

Keller Funnel

In addition to new Style 410 tear-drop shaped implants, a second important innovation, the Keller Funnel, has changed how implants are placed into the breast pocket. Most implants are now placed under the pectoralis major muscle, which improves appearance and reduces the chance of hardening (capsular
contracture). Capsular contracture rates are also less if the implant never comes in contact
with the skin during the procedure. The Keller Funnel makes this possible. It works
like a cake decorator’s cornet for icing a cake. Once the pocket is ready, the implant is
placed into this sterile cone-shaped plastic funnel. The implant is then literally squeezed
into the pocket without ever touching the skin or the surgeon’s gloves.

Keller funnel and breast implants

I have found the Keller funnel to be a very useful tool for breast implant surgery.
I can place large implants through smaller incisions with less trauma to the implant
Arguably, this is a more sterile method of implant placement
Unfortunately with textured devices or shaped implants, there is a potential for damaging the implant by placing high amounts of pressure on the implant while inserting it into a small hole so there is definitely a learning curve with this product.  With a round, smooth implant it is a no-brainer.

Samer W. Cabbabe, MD, FACS
Saint Louis Plastic Surgeon

Keller funnel pros and cons?

Long-term data are not available on the reduction of capsular contractures or implant malfunction. Theoretically, these help with ease of insertion, smaller incision length and less trauma and possible contamination of the implant (but these are placed in a "sterile" feild). The primary issue is cost.

The Keller Funnel only need to be used for silicone gel implants as the typical insertion incision for saline implants is much smaller and little to no trauma on the implants.

Brian J. Lee, MD
Fort Wayne Plastic Surgeon

Breast augmentation #breastimplants #BBA #salineimplants #siliconeimplants #Kellerfunnel #genius

Dear Sharp1011

Thank you for your question!  The Keller funnel is GENIUS !!  It takes 3 seconds to place 2 implants via a 2.5 centimeter incision( 1 ") for most patients.  The cost of the surgery time alone is worth the $ of the funnel.

With Warm Regards
Trevor M Born MD

Trevor M. Born, MD

Keller funnel pros and cons

Disclaimer - I liked it so much the first time I saw it I invested in the company

Pros - 1 - No touch -No touch technique is thought to decrease capsular contracture. Studies from the company on cadavers painted with bacteria show decreased contamination and in a preliminary study of a few practices we showed the capsular contracture rate to be decreased by half.

2 - less pressure on implant - this may lead to decreased ruptures but hard to prove

3 - smaller incision - a little

4 - less surgeon hand fatigue

Cons - cost only

Jason Pozner, MD
Boca Raton Plastic Surgeon

Why I am a fan of the Keller Funnel

Hi Sharp1011,

I started using the Keller Funnels earlier this year and have become a big fan of the device. Using the Keller Funnel may make a difference in preventing capsular contracture. The science is still out on that but it does make sense. You are correct; it does shorten the inframammary incision a bit. I find it much easier to place the silicone implants using the funnel. 

The reason more surgeons are not using them is simple. They cost about $100 each. 

Here is the recent blog I wrote about it that goes into more detail about it and a video demonstrating how they work.

David B.

David B. Reath, MD
Knoxville Plastic Surgeon

Keller Funnel

The Keller funnel is not necessary but it does decrease the incision length, risk for contamination, and damage to the implant and surrounding skin. It's the no-touch technique and it's the smoothest way to insert the implant.  I use it every time I'm inserting an implant.

Justin Yovino, MD, FACS

Keller funnel

The Keller funnel has been shown to reduce capsule contracture with a 0.7% in my practice over 3 years follow up and 600 patients.  Studies do show lower bacterial counts on the implant when used.  The stress on the implant is lower than by finger insertion.  It clearly reduces the time in surgery (less than 30 min in 90% of my cases) and the length of incision needed for placement.  If our theories on contracture cause are correct all should use it.

It is considered by some in the UK to the the standard of care.

It does cost some extra.  I will not do a gel implant with out them.  Those who don't use them are cutting costs in my opinion.

Mark Eberbach, MD

Keller Funnel usage

The Keller Funnel is a conceptual tool but has not been proven to add any advantage to the surgery.  The device is too expensive for any suggested benefit.  Like all devices in surgery you have to be skeptical of marketing hype and see what the scientific literature proves over time.

Best Wishes

Dr. Peterson

Marcus L. Peterson, MD
Saint George Plastic Surgeon

Keller funnel pros and cons?

I find them useful because Keller Funnel
1. avoid contamination of the Implant.
2. Even pressure across the implant
The cost is the main issue why its not used
Hope this helps