How accurate is the program Crisalix 3D to see what breast augmentation would look like?

I had my BA consult today, and a new "Virtual "Assistant" is used in the office to predict outcome of augmentation based on sizing. I also tried on sizers as well. I've come out rather confused because when I seen me on the imaging with the modest size I want to go ( 275 cc's mod + profile DR says), it looks really projected on the 3D imaging... and my breasts look kind of odd in the after picture, like further apart than expected. Thoughts?

Crisalix and 3D imaging for breast augmentation

The newest updates for the 3D scanner for this Crisalix imaging program are amazing. I think it is increasingly more accurate with the topographical scanner. There are also virtual reality goggles so you can see yourself trying on different implant styles and sizes. I think the results are what one might see at around 3 months. There are no guarantees but it sure is fun. The giggles from the gals wearing the virtual reality goggles has been fun too.

3 D imaging

3D imaging is really more of a tool to give you an idea. Sadly, nothing can accurately predict your outcome. This is where the skill and expertise of the surgeon really comes into play. Best, Dr. Nazarian

Sheila S. Nazarian, MD

Crisalix 3D

Imaged changes cannot always mimic real life.3D imaging is meant to be a teaching tool rather than an exact representation of how you will look after surgery. There is no perfect way to predict breast size or shape.\

Best wishes and luck on your cosmetic endeavors.

3D imaging

Thanks for your question.  3D imaging is meant to be a teaching tool rather than an exact representation of how you will look after surgery.  There is no perfect way to predict breast size or shape.

Computer imaging and breast augmentation

I think that like any tool it is used as a guide and should not be thought of as an exact expected outcome.  Good luck.

Breast augmentation: 3D imaging vs. doctor's before and after pictures

I believe that 3D imaging is helpful, but what you can't tell from a 3D image is the position of the implant (subglandular or sumuscular) or if the recommended cc's will give you the exact result that you are visualizing.

In my practice, I show women before and after pictures of actual patients with similar chest measurements, height, weight and starting volume to them; it's as if they are looking at themselves in a magic mirror of the future. When a women decides what she wants, I know exactly what size implant to order to better achieve that look because the cc's are recorded on every picture.

Your plastic surgeon's experience will be even more important than imaging in helping you determine implant size.

Ted Eisenberg, DO, FACOS
Philadelphia Plastic Surgeon

Computer imaging is helpful but not necessarily accurate…

Thank you for the question. Although useful as rough guidelines and as communication tools, ALL the modalities currently used to predict what breast implant size/profile will best achieve a patient's goals with breast augmentation are not very accurate, in my opinion. The use of the rice test, sizers placed beneath a patient's bra, goal pictures, computer imaging technology… are all useful, but not necessarily as accurate as one would hope.

In my opinion, nothing will replace careful verbal preoperative communication with your plastic surgeon, preferably in front of a full-length mirror along with the use of as many "communication" tools” listed above.

In my practice, I use all of the above modalities and then use intraoperative temporary sizers to help determine the best breast implant size/profile to achieve a patient's specific goals as closely as possible. For this reason, I think it is helpful to have the entire range of breast implant sizes/profiles available in the operating room.

Achieving realistic expectations prior to proceeding to the operating room is also an important part of the preoperative communication process. Patients should be aware that the results of their breast augmentation will not necessarily match exactly what they are visualizing with anyone of the above-mentioned communication tools.

Given your questions and concerns,  I would suggest that you schedule additional time to spend with your plastic surgeon. This additional time spent will be helpful in the communication process and in alleviating some of your anxiety.

Best wishes; hopefully you will be very pleased with the outcome of the planned procedure.