Can a Tummy Tuck Be Carried out After Four C-sections?

I have had four c-sections but would like a tummy tuck. Are there any reasons why this would not be carried out after four c-sections?

Tummy Tuck Candidate

Your previous C-sections will not impede your ability to have the surgery. Consult with 3 board certified plastic surgeons to understand your options and choose the surgeon/surgical plan that best meets your objectives/needs.

If you are close to your ideal weight, seriously consider a tummy tuck.

Your previous C-sections should not pose any significant problems with a tummy tuck. The previous C-section scar, if it is horizontal will be removed. And, if you have a vertical scar, in all likelihood this will be removed as well.

The tummy tuck is truly designed to correct the changes that pregnancies have had on the abdominal wall, whether you not you have had your children by C-section. The components of the operation: repair of muscle separation, thinning out the fat layer, and removal of excess skin, are the same. Because of how this operation can change the appearance of the abdomen in women who have had children, it remains one of my favorite operations.

The only word of caution has to do with your overall weight. The closer you are to your intended weight (and appropriate weight for you height and weight) the better the results will be. If women are significantly over weight, I will generally advise them to lose some weight prior to having this operation, in order to optimize the results. But as long as your weight is reasonable, and you are done having children, this would be a great operation to consider.

David B. Reath, MD
Knoxville Plastic Surgeon

Four Sure!

There is probably no better reason for a tummy tuck than four previous pregnancies, whether delivered by C-Section or vaginally.

The beauty of the procedure is that your old C-Section scar, which is possibly indented if it has been used 4 times, can most likely be repaired by the Tummy Tuck, since the incision for the tummy tuck is basically an extended lower pelvic incision. In all likelihood, there is also some laxity of the abdominal muscles, which can be repaired and tightened by the Tummy Tuck as well.

Go four it! You will be happy you did!

Athleo Louis Cambre, MD

Yes

It's still possible for you to get a tummy tuck despite having had 4 c-sections. C-sections won't stop you from getting a tummy tuck.

Ronald Levine, MD

Candidate for an abdominoplasty

Based on your assessment you may be a good candidate for an abdominoplasty. Liposuction alone will not get rid of the excess skin and fat. A complete examination would be needed to determine if you are a good candidate for this elective procedure.

Tummy Tuck after 4 c-sections

Thank you for your question.   There is no contraindication to a tummy tuck based on the number of C-sections.  Your surgeon will be able to remove your old C-section scar and some of the underlying scar tissue from these procedures.    I would recommend visiting with a board certified plastic surgeon to determine what type of tummy tuck best addresses you.   I wish you a safe, happy,  and healthy result.

Dr. Gill

Paul S. Gill, MD

Thank you for the question. Based on your history and description, you will likely be a good candidate for “mommy makeover” surgery at some point.  Best to wait at least 6 months to one year prior to seeking consultation with board certified plastic surgeons. Ask to see lots of examples of their work and communicate your goals clearly as well. Make sure that you are aware that this operation is associated with a very significant physical and emotional recovery period. Generally speaking, the “ideal” patient for tummy tuck surgery is one who has completed pregnancies, is psycho socially/emotionally/financially stable, has an excellent social support system surrounding him/her, is capable of arranging enough recovery time, does not smoke and who has reached a long-term stable weight.  For most patients in your situation I also use liposuction surgery as a contouring tool, most often used in the flank areas, mid-epigastric areas and pubic areas. I hope this, and the attached link, helps.

Tummy tucks after c-sections...

Actually, many women that we perform tummy tucks on have had C-sections in the past. A tummy tuck is a great option because all of the old scarring can be removed at one time, and the tummy tuck incision that remains should be below the bikini line.  It does not matter how many c-sections you have had, as long as you are fully healed after the last one, which is usually about 8 weeks. A tummy tuck will also nicely tighten up the muscle that has been stretched after 4 children. If you want to find out more about this procedure, please be sure to seek a consultation with a board certified plastic surgeon.

Tummy Tuck after Multiple C-Sections

There is no reason that having any number of c-sections should be a contraindication to tummy tuck surgery.  Many women with c-section scars are dissatisfied with the appearance of their post-pregnancy abdomen because of the fact that the tight c-section scar can accentuate the loose, saggy skin and soft tissue that hang over the scar.  These women are delighted to find out that the tummy tuck will remove the unsatisfactory c-section scar and replace it with a well-contoured, longer tummy tuck scar surrounded by tighter, well-contoured abdominal tissue.

Dr. Skourtis

Mia E. Skourtis, MD

No reason not to have a tummy tuck (abdominoplasty) after 4 C-sections.

Many women have abdominoplasties after C sections.  The total number makes no difference.  The scar resulting from these deliveries is removed with the skin and fat of the tummy tuck.