Can I go from a C to a double D with fat transfer?

I'm 5'2 135 pounds and currently a full C cup. I don't want implants so I've been looking into fat transfer. Most of the reviews I've seen were initially for a 1 cup increase and I know that's usually why fat transfer is done for a 1 cup increase but I wanted to break the rules a little bit and shoot for a 2 cup increase. If I gain enough to weight is it possible? And most importantly is it healthy? xx

Fat Transfer

Thank you for your inquiry.  Fat harvesting and subsequent cup size increase depends on factors such as existing breast tissue, laxity of the breast envelope and how much fat can be harvested.  I prefer patients to be at a comfortable and stable weight prior to surgery and do not recommend weight gain.  Without photos it is difficult to offer you an opinion, however, I have seen 1-2 cup size increase, depending on the individual patient.

Charlotte Plastic Surgeon

Breast augmentation with fat

Fat injection to the breast often does not produce the volume that patients desire in a reliable way. Implants will more than likely get you to the desired volume. Good luck.

#Fattransfer #breastaugmentation questions

Thank you for sharing your breast fat transfer question.  Without the benefit of an in person exam it's impossible to diagnose and give suggestions to your questions.  However, several things to consider:  plastic surgeons rarely guarantee cup size increases since bra manufacturers all differ in their sizes/measurements; it's rare for fat transfer to the breasts to yield a two cup size increase; it's important to meet only with a board certified plastic surgeon who has significant experience in fat transfer to the breasts.  Open communication with your surgeon is key to be sure your aesthetic objectives can be met with the surgical plan.  Be sure to look for a plastic surgeon with these credentials:
*Board Certified by the American Board of Plastic Surgery -- The gold star symbol
*A member of the ASPS (American Society of Plastic Surgeons) -- The circle symbol
*A member of the ASAPS (American Society of Aesthetic Plastic Surgeons) -- the Queen Nefertiti symbol with a Triangle
I hope this is helpful.  Very best.  -Brian S. Coan, MD, FACS

Brian Coan, MD, FACS
Raleigh-Durham Plastic Surgeon

Breast augmentation with fat

There is a limit to the size increase one can obtain with fat transfer not based soley on the amount of fat available but also on the amount of fat that can be placed evenly and take as a vascularized graft.  This is the main limitation of this technique.  Therefore it would take multiple sessions to graft fat to your breast and achieve a 2 cup augmentation. 

Fat transfer to breasts

I must say that the idea of gaining weight in order to have more fat to harvest is very troubling from a medical perspective.  I would not encourage a patient to head down that road.  Even with adequate fat, fat transfer will not produce a two cup size gain.  It usually will result in a 1/2 cup increase.  In terms of health issues, the fat can necrose and not be absorbed equally on both sides, requiring correction.  Many doctors are trying to give patients what they ask for and not what they need.,  Be careful about over-estimations on what this procedure can do for you.

Fat transfer depends on acceptable site

More fat graft can be maintained for patients that have involutional atrophy of the breast after breast hypertrophy from pregnancy and or weight loss.  Softer breasts with slight droop (grade 1 or 2) can accept more graft with 1,2 or 3 cup size increases, but this is the exception.  The rule is moderate increase in size (1 cup) with natural appearance (non-augmented look).

Fat transfer to breasts and results -- C cup to DD, is it possible?

Generally gaining weight will make your fat cells expand and make them more fragile, similar to a bubble.  Even if they survive, as you lose weight the cells will shrink, as will the breasts.  Also, it is important to remember that your breast can accommodate only so much fat per procedure.  The BRAVA suction apparatus can increase the amount of fat transferred in one setting which may be an option of you.   The general expectation after fat transfer to the breasts is one cup size increase.  You may need to have multiple procedures to achieve your goal. 

An in-person exam with a board-certified plastic surgeon is the best way to assess your needs and provide true medical advice. Best of luck. Dr. Michael Omidi

Michael M. Omidi, MD, FACS

Adding cups of volume

The biggest restriction to fat transfer is the ability to add large volumes.

In order for the grafted fat to survive, it has to be evenly spaced through the natural live breast tissue. 

If too much fat is grafted in the same area, a higher percentage of the grafted fat will die.

I like to use the analogy of a chessboard.

Think of all the white squares as your natural breast tissue and the black squares as grafted fat. Every black square has to be surrounded by a white square in order for the procedure to work. That means you can only attempt to double the size of the breast during the procedure.

Approximately half of the grafted fat will survive. In the end, you can add 25% to 30% of the initial breast volume. Since this is often about an increase in one cup size, we refer to this procedure as Up A Cup.

Fat transfer can be done multiple times if more volume is desired. Attempting to add more volume in a single session leads to a decreased chance of survival and an overall worse outcome. 

My practice is almost exclusively devoted to body contouring using liposuction and fat transfer.

Many patients are not candidates for fat transfer to the breast because of their expectations in regards to final breast size. 

If somebody wants to be substantially larger, implants are better choice.

Mats Hagstrom, M.D.

Mats Hagstrom, MD