Sculpsure: Can it be done on the arms?

Can the sculpsure procedure be done off-label on the upper arms? If so, how many applicators would need to be applied for someone who has about 1.5 inches of pinchable upper arm fat?

#sculpsure/#Body Contouring/ #Hi Definition Procedures

Sculpsure is a noninvasive 1060nm diode laser treatment that removes up to 25% of stubborn fat in the treated area in 25 minutes.It is FDA approved for the abdomen and flanks. It is safe if you get pregnant in the future. The body contouring effects are seen in as quick as six weeks with final results at 12 weeks.  The results are permanent as long as you maintain your weight and health. The laser targets and destroys the fat cells only which are then naturally removed from the body. Since the laser does not affect the skin or muscle it can be used on all skin colors and there has been no reported incidents of burns when treated by a properly trained physician. It is protective since it alternates heating and cooling.  It has four applicators that can be customized to treat the areas of stubborn fat.  If a second treatment is needed we wait at least six weeks and usually closer to 12. 

If you notice lumps after (which I've never seen) I would recommend massage. You should also alert your surgeon.

There is no downtime and you can resume your normal activities right after the treatment. There may be some soreness in the area for a few days for which you can take ibuprofen or tylenol. A cold compress can also be used.

Sculpsure is not used for skin tightening however some of our patients have seen this. If more skin tightening is needed we have combined this with thermi or Ulthera for a complete treatment. Sculpsure is recommended for stubborn areas of fat that are not being lost by diet and exercise. It is not a weight loss treatment

Since I have both a coolsculpting and sculpsure I am working on protocols of utilizing both of these depending upon what areas need to be treated and the response to the treatment.  I have used sculpsure on other areas other than the abdomen with very good results. 

I also use a Vectra 3D imaging system to try and show people what their treatment areas could look like.

Since Sculpsure outcomes can be based on technique and experience, please see a board certified plastic surgeon that specializes body contouring to see if Sculpsure or other treatments are available to meet your goals. 

Take care,

Dr. Schwartz  Board Certified Plastic Surgeon

SculpSure treatment for arms

Currently, SculpSure has FDA approval for the abdomen and flanks only. But, we are using it “off-label” and having great results. One of the best parts about SculpSure is that you can customize the applicators to fit around almost any area of the body to treat undesired fat. We have treated arms successfully in our office, the most common being with 2 applicators on each arm; however, I would recommend seeing a Board- Certified Dermatologist for a consultation to determine the placement of the applicators.

SculpSure to the Arms

Thank you for your question! SculpSure is only FDA approved for the abdomen and flanks, however, many physicians are applying the SculpSure to "off-label" areas, such as, arms, saddle bags,  and bra line. From my experience, I have seen exceptional results using the SculpSure on some of these areas. 

Peter H. Grossman, MD, FACS

Sculpsure and the arms

Thanks for sharing your question. I can appreciate your concern.

Yes, you can do it. It is not an FDA approved area. However, there are ongoing studies trying to get this certification. So far I have had good results in my patients. 

Finally, make sure that you have a consultation with a board certified plastic surgeon.

Wishing you the best in your journey

Sculpsure: Can it Be Done on the Arms? Yes

Yes, it can be performed on the arms.  However, this area is considered "off-label" because the FDA trials were on teh abdomen and flanks only.  The mechanism of action of Sculpsure is to penetrate roughly 1 cm below the surface of the skin and reduce the population of fat cells by about 24%, which also applies to the arm areas. 

Stephen Prendiville, MD
Fort Myers Facial Plastic Surgeon

SculpSure on the arms

Thank you for your question. Yes, the SculpSure can be used to treat the arms. Each area must have an approved amount of fat deposit which is reviewed by the doctor that you consult with. The doctor will determine the applicator numbers when he consults with you.

Bruce E. Katz, MD

SculpSure and Arms

SculpSure can be used on the arms.  The FDA has indicated SculpSure as the world's first laser for non surgical fat reduction of the abdomen and flanks.  So, if used on the arms (or any other area other than the abdomen and flanks) it would be considered off label.  Off label does not mean illegal or that it will not work, just that the FDA has not approved/indicated this device for that area of the body, yet.

David Finkle, MD
Omaha Plastic Surgeon

Off-label Indications for SculpSure

Thank you for your question. Yes, SculpSure can be used off-label to treat the upper arms. Typically, most patients need to have good skin quality (minimal laxity), and use either 1 or 2 of the treatment frames per arm. Your best bet is to have an in-person consultation with a Plastic Surgeon to have an examination to ensure you are a good candidate for this procedure. Best of luck! 

Off label - 1-2 applicators per side

This is off label. Always have someone assess you correctly- SculpSure is ONLY for fat and not loose skin. If you are a suitable candidate you must realise this is off label, if there is fat, it will work. 

You may need 1-2 applicators depending on the size. This has to be measured up individually. 

All the best

Davin Lim
Laser and aesthetic dermatologist
Fiori Institute of body contouring 
BRISBANE, Australia. 

Davin Lim, MBBS, FACD
Brisbane Dermatologist

SculpSure for arms

SculpSure could be performed on the arms, but you are correct in that it would be considered an off-label use.  Everyone is different, so it is difficult without an exam to determine how many applicators you might need to treat your arms.  I would say for most people, one per side could be sufficient and would be surprised if someone needed more than two per side.  

Michael I. Echavez, MD
San Francisco Facial Plastic Surgeon