What to take to my breast augmentation consultation?

I have my BA consultation in a few weeks and want advice on what to take to my consultation. I know i should take pictures but what else?

Preparing for Consultation

Thanks for your question! A good rule of thumb to follow is to “do your research” before visiting your board certified plastic surgeon for a consultation. It is important to create a list of questions that you can ask an expert source. This will help you learn more about your desired procedure, your surgeon’s recommendations, recovery time, and availability to schedule the surgery. In addition to examples of your desired look, it is important to let your plastic surgeon know of your medications and health history. This will allow you to make an educated decision about your breast augmentation and ensure it suited around your lifestyle. 

What to bring to your Breast Augmentation Consultation

When you meet with your Plastic Surgeon for a consultation it is very important that you bring a list of your medications and supplements that you currently take to make sure you are a safe candidate for surgery.  We recommend our patients bring a friend or family member with them to help them in picking the size of the implant that is appropriate for your goals.  A nice fitted shirt helps as well so you can view your new figure.

Eric Schaffer, MD
San Antonio Plastic Surgeon

It's a really good question.It's helpful to have a sense of the look that you desire. This can be communicated with photographs and a good description of things that you like, and dislike, about various breasts.Bring clothing that you would like to wear. This could include a fitted top or bathing suit. Many surgeons will have you try on sizers with clothing that you like.A breast augmentation consult should be very relaxed. You should be able to get a chance to feel comfortable with your surgeon and hear how they approach augmentation surgery.

Pre Op Appointment Prep

I recommend that my patients bring a form fitting T-shirt or tank top that they want to try on with implant sizers. You could call ahead and discuss this option. Bring good questions about certification, pre/post op appointments and expected recovery timeline. The surgical facilities at which your surgery is to be performed should be accredited by a nationally recognized organization.
All the  best

Getting ready for breast consultation

Great question! The consultation is a time for you and your surgeon to get to know each other and for you to ask any questions about the procedure you may have. Make out a list of questions beforehand, so you don't forget anything while you're there. I would recommend these questions:

-where do you do the surgery?

-who performs the anesthesia?

-are you board certified by the american board of plastic surgery?

-do you recommend over the muscle or under the muscle and why?

-what type of incision do you like to use?

-can I see some photos of your results?

t's also helpful if you wear an unpadded non-push up bra in case your surgeon has you "try on" implants with a tight fitting t-shirt. It is also very helpful if you bring photographs of breasts you like- size, shape, etc. The more clearly you communicate with your surgeon the less anxiety you will have about the process and getting exactly what you want. 

Meghan Nadeau, MD

What to bring to a breast augmentation consultation

There are several things that you can bring to your appointment that will make things run smoothly and help you to communicate with your surgeon. You will certainly be asked about your past medical and surgical history.  Bringing any medications and/or supplements or herbals that you take would be helpful.  Knowing your current bra size is helpful.  Photographs of breasts that you like or don't like can help to convey your goals.  I would caution you that it is most helpful if you pick people that have a similar body habitus (size and shape) to your own in these photographs.  We often allow patients to try on sizers to help with implant selection.  Having clothing that lets you assess the look can be helpful - I've had people bring in bathing suits, formal dresses etc to try on with the sizers. The most important thing, however, is to bring a list of questions or topics that you want to cover.  I often find that patients are quite nervous for their appointments and they forget to ask some of the questions that they meant to.  It is not uncommon to find people remember once they get home something they forgot to ask.  If you are able to have someone you trust come with you to the appointment that is always helpful - that person can take some notes for you but is also a second set of ears to listen to the information during the consultation and can give you some opinions during the examination if you are comfortable having that person present..  Good luck!

Kirsty Boyd, MD, FRCSC
Ottawa Plastic Surgeon

This is a surgery to change your physical appearance and the best way to communicate to your surgeon the look you want is with photos of postoperative results. These need to be medical photos, not photos of models and not photos of clothed patients.

Ronald V. DeMars, MD

Breast Augmentation consultation

Hi & thank you for your question.Bring along a list of questions and concerns, personal medical information, photos of breasts you like and dislike.  When trying on different implants a tight fitting shirt will help you see what size you like on yourself.Best of luck!

Thank you for the good question. I would suggest that you take a list of questions/concerns as well as goal photographs to your consultation.  It is also helpful to have pictures of breast that you do not like.  A list  including past medical history, past surgical history, medications, allergies…may also be helpful.  Patients seeking revisionary breast surgery may wish to obtain copies of their previous operative reports for their consultants to review. Sometimes, patients also find it helpful to have a friend ( "moral support") with them during the consultation process.
 Ultimately, careful selection of plastic surgeon and careful communication goals will be key. Best wishes.

Breast augmentation

Thank you for your question.  Aside from goal photos you may wish to bring a goal bra with you as many surgeons will allow you to utilize sizer implants so that uyou may better visualize what each implant size could look like on you.
With kind regards,
Lane F. Smith, M.D., F.A.A.C.S., F.A.O.H.N.S., F.A.B.F.P.R.S.

Lane Smith, MD