Will a 300cc moderate profile implant fill out deflated breasts? Afraid a larger implant will make my breasts too large (Photos)

I lost weight and my once D breasts completely deflated. My BWD is about 12.7cm and my current projection is about 2cm. I am 26 years old, 5'9.5" and weigh about 131 lbs. I was told I do not need a lift and that an implant would fill them out by 3 different doctors. My favorite doctor said I needed to go atleast 375cc moderate plus but I'm afraid that will make my boobs look huge! Is 375cc too big? Is 300cc too big as I have a significant amount of breast tissue? Thank you!

Breast Implant Size Selection

Thank you for the photos and questions. Based on the photos you do not need a lift. Your breast width is a major factor in selecting a breast implant that is proportionate to your body frame. A 375 cc moderate plus implant is probably about the largest volume you would want in a moderate plus implant. The 300 cc moderate plus implant is probably a better match for your body. A higher profile implant would allow more volume while avoiding excessive width. My analysis of your breasts based on photos and the measurements you provide is not a substitute for a detailed exam so you must decide which surgeon you trust. Hope you get the results you desire!

Draper Plastic Surgeon

Implant selection

Hello, generally larger implants will help to fill in breasts that are deflated and have less upper breast fullness.  However, if you do not want to go much bigger, you may need to compromise on the final outcome.  Your surgeon will be able to help you make the final decision.

Breast implants with lift

An implant with a combined lift may be needed to give you the best result. Remember that a large implant can not correct a sagging breast. Perhaps implant volume closer to 300cc and the lift for best results. Consult with another surgeon if you are still uncertain.

William Bruno, MD

Augmentation Mastopexy

Although an examination would be needed, the fact that your favorite doc wants to put an oversized implant in confirms what is apparent by photograph: you need a breast lift.  Your breasts are ptotic and asymmetric, and large implants won't improve the nipple to fold relationship very much.  I'm not sure how my colleagues can be so confident saying that you only have pseudoptosis and/or your nipple is above your fold.  Go visit a few ABPS certified/ASAPS member surgeons that perform all types of cosmetic breast surgery, not just implants. 

Gerald Minniti, MD, FACS

Breast Implants/Breast Augmentation/Anatomic Gummy Bear Implants/ Silicone Implants/Breast Implant Revision Surgery

I appreciate your question.

The size of implant best for you is dictated by your chest wall measurements.  Once we determine that we can choose the profile based on what you want or need to achieve.  If you are seeking a natural look, then the diameter of the implant should be equal to or, more ideally, smaller than the width of your breast. The breast width is a measurement of how wide your breast is at the base, which should be measured at the level of the nipple. Choosing an implant that is smaller in diameter than your breast width will avoid the "side breast" fullness that is often associated with a more artificial appearance.  Other than that, you should choose the implant based on volume, not on the dimensions of the implant. You should choose a board certified plastic surgeon that you trust to help guide you in this decision.  

Silicone will give you a fullness at the top (upper pole fullness).

Silicone implants come pre-filled with a silicone gel and are the softest implant available. They feel more natural, which makes them a good option for women with less natural breast tissue; but they require a larger incision. It may be more difficult to realize if this type of implant has ruptured, so it is important to monitor them with annual follow-up visits. Additionally, because this implant contains a more liquid silicone (less cross-linked), if this implant should rupture, it will leak only into the scar capsule formed around the implant but may cause some discomfort or implant distortion.

Anatomic gummy bear implants might be a good choice to give you volume.

These highly-sought-after, anatomic implants offer a look that more closely resembles the natural silhouette of a breast, and, therefore, are a very attractive option for individuals seeking a natural-looking, aesthetic primary breast augmentation. Additionally, these implants are an especially excellent option for patients undergoing restorative or corrective breast surgery because they provide more stability, shape, and reduced incidence of capsular contracture. Compared to other types of silicone gel implants, the silicone in the cohesive gel implant is more cross-linked; therefore, should the implant shell “rupture,” it maintains its shape and silicone does not leak.

During your breast augmentation consultation, you should feel the different types of implants available, and try on various implant sizers in front of a mirror to help you to get an idea of how you will look following the surgery. You should also bring pictures of the look you would like to achieve, as well as a favorite top to wear when trying on implant sizers.

The best way to assess and give true advice would be an in-person exam.

Please see a board-certified plastic surgeon that specializes in aesthetic and restorative breast surgery.

Dr. Schwartz

Director-Beverly Hills Breast and Body Institute

Will a 300cc moderate profile implant fill out deflated breasts? Afraid a larger implant will make my breasts too large

You have what is called pseudoptosis of the breast. The nipple is in good position relative to the breast mound but the entire breast mound is lower on your rib cage than ideal. I think a 300cc implant would fill you up according to your dimensions and still look pretty natural, but you need to understand that there will be no shifting of the new breast mound any higher. Your breast will remain where is is at the present time, just be bigger.

Julio Garcia, MD

The best cosmetic result in any particular breast augmentation patient depends on a variety of factors, including: your individual anatomy, desired outcome, realistic expectations, a thorough discussion with the plastic surgeon about the options, and an understanding of the pros and cons of any particular implant choice. Proper sizing is not just about the number of cc’s. The thickness of your tissue, breast dimensions which include the width, height, and projection, as well as chest wall width all need to be considered when choosing an implant. Trying on implant “sizers” of various shapes and volumes while wearing a tight t-shirt, bra, or bathing suit at a preoperative visit will help you and your surgeon choose the optimal implant.

Keep in mind that following the advice from a surgeon on this or any other website who proposes to tell you what to do without examining you, physically feeling the tissue, assessing your desired outcome, taking a full medical history, and discussing the pros and cons of each operative procedure would not be in your best interest. I would suggest you find a plastic surgeon certified by the American Board of Plastic Surgery and ideally a member of the American Society for Aesthetic Plastic Surgery (ASAPS) or the Canadian Society for Aesthetic Plastic Surgery (CSAPS)  that you trust and are comfortable with. You should discuss your concerns with that surgeon in person.

Robert Singer, MD FACS

La Jolla, California

Robert Singer, MD
La Jolla Plastic Surgeon

Hard to answer this question without specific breast measurements AND an in person exam. Remember to choose a board certified plastic surgeon who actually takes the time to measure you and examine your breast pocket. Also remember that sizers will only give you a rough estimate. The goal of breast augmentation is to optimally fill your breast pocket, not to overstuff or understuff it. At my practice, we utilize a series of 5 breast measurements that help me determine the implant size, which in turn helps me deliver a 24 hour recovery. Do your research and choose a surgeon who takes the time to sit down with you and discuss your goals/expectations to determine the best size for you. In general, moderate profile gives you a more natural look while high profile give you the rounded, shelf push up bra look. Good luck!

Implant Sizing Options

It appears based on your pictures that your nipples are still above the under breast crease which should allow you to use almost any sized implant to get a good result. Using an over under technique will be helpful. An in person consultation with a Board Certified Plastic Surgeon will be the best way for you to size out implants and go over all of your options! Best of Luck! Dr. Kachenmeister

Robert M. Kachenmeister, MD

Best breast implants for me?

Thank you for the question.  Online consultants will not be able to provide you with specific enough advice to be truly helpful. 

I am not convinced that you will do well without breast lifting surgery; based on your frontal photograph, it seems you have a significant amount of skin breast tissue "sitting" on top of your abdominal wall.  This finding is not unusual for patients who have had significant weight loss.  This anatomy will not change with breast augmentation surgery alone; again, I would be concerned that you will not be pleased without breast lifting surgery.  You would be wise in addressing this potential concern with your chosen plastic surgeon.

Ultimately, careful communication of your goals (in my practice I prefer the use of goal pictures, direct examination/communication in front of a full-length mirror, and computer imaging) will be critical. 

Generally speaking, the best online advice I can give to ladies who are considering  breast augmentation surgery ( regarding breast implant size/profile selection) is:

1. Concentrate on choosing your plastic surgeon carefully.  Concentrate on appropriate training, certification, and the ability of the plastic surgeon to achieve the results you are looking for. Ask to see lots of examples of his/her work.

2. Have a full discussion and communication regarding your desired goals  with your plastic surgeon. This communication will be critical in determining  breast implant size/type/profile will most likely help achieve your goals. 

In my practice, the use of photographs of “goal” pictures (and breasts that are too big or too small) is very helpful. For example, I have found that the use of words such as  “natural” or "C or D cup” to "too big on me" etc means different things to different people and therefore prove unhelpful.

Also, as you know, cup size varies depending on him who makes the bra; therefore, discussing desired cup  size may also be inaccurate.  Again, the use of computer imaging has been very helpful during the communication process, in our practice.

3.  Once you feel you have communicated your goals clearly,  allow your plastic surgeon to use his/her years of experience/judgment to choose the breast implant size/profile that will best meet your goals.  Again, in my practice, this decision is usually made during surgery,  after the use of temporary intraoperative sizers.

I hope this (and the attached link, dedicated to breast  augmentation surgery concerns) helps. Best wishes.