Will a 300cc moderate profile implant fill out deflated breasts? Afraid a larger implant will make my breasts too large (Photos)

I lost weight and my once D breasts completely deflated. My BWD is about 12.7cm and my current projection is about 2cm. I am 26 years old, 5'9.5" and weigh about 131 lbs. I was told I do not need a lift and that an implant would fill them out by 3 different doctors. My favorite doctor said I needed to go atleast 375cc moderate plus but I'm afraid that will make my boobs look huge! Is 375cc too big? Is 300cc too big as I have a significant amount of breast tissue? Thank you!

Will a 300cc moderate profile implant fill out deflated breasts? Afraid a larger implant will make my breasts too large

The best cosmetic result in any particular breast augmentation patient depends on a variety of factors, including: your individual anatomy, desired outcome, realistic expectations, a thorough discussion with the plastic surgeon about the options, and an understanding of the pros and cons of any particular implant choice. Proper sizing is not just about the number of cc’s. The thickness of your tissue, breast dimensions which include the width, height, and projection, as well as chest wall width all need to be considered when choosing an implant. Trying on implant “sizers” of various shapes and volumes while wearing a tight t-shirt, bra, or bathing suit at a preoperative visit will help you and your surgeon choose the optimal implant.

Keep in mind that following the advice from a surgeon on this or any other website who proposes to tell you what to do without examining you, physically feeling the tissue, assessing your desired outcome, taking a full medical history, and discussing the pros and cons of each operative procedure would not be in your best interest. I would suggest you find a plastic surgeon certified by the American Board of Plastic Surgery and ideally a member of the American Society for Aesthetic Plastic Surgery (ASAPS) or the Canadian Society for Aesthetic Plastic Surgery (CSAPS)  that you trust and are comfortable with. You should discuss your concerns with that surgeon in person.

Robert Singer, MD FACS

La Jolla, California

La Jolla Plastic Surgeon

Hard to answer this question without specific breast measurements AND an in person exam. Remember to choose a board certified plastic surgeon who actually takes the time to measure you and examine your breast pocket. Also remember that sizers will only give you a rough estimate. The goal of breast augmentation is to optimally fill your breast pocket, not to overstuff or understuff it. At my practice, we utilize a series of 5 breast measurements that help me determine the implant size, which in turn helps me deliver a 24 hour recovery. Do your research and choose a surgeon who takes the time to sit down with you and discuss your goals/expectations to determine the best size for you. In general, moderate profile gives you a more natural look while high profile give you the rounded, shelf push up bra look. Good luck!

Implant Sizing Options

It appears based on your pictures that your nipples are still above the under breast crease which should allow you to use almost any sized implant to get a good result. Using an over under technique will be helpful. An in person consultation with a Board Certified Plastic Surgeon will be the best way for you to size out implants and go over all of your options! Best of Luck! Dr. Kachenmeister

Robert M. Kachenmeister, MD

Best breast implants for me?

Thank you for the question.  Online consultants will not be able to provide you with specific enough advice to be truly helpful. 

I am not convinced that you will do well without breast lifting surgery; based on your frontal photograph, it seems you have a significant amount of skin breast tissue "sitting" on top of your abdominal wall.  This finding is not unusual for patients who have had significant weight loss.  This anatomy will not change with breast augmentation surgery alone; again, I would be concerned that you will not be pleased without breast lifting surgery.  You would be wise in addressing this potential concern with your chosen plastic surgeon.

Ultimately, careful communication of your goals (in my practice I prefer the use of goal pictures, direct examination/communication in front of a full-length mirror, and computer imaging) will be critical. 

Generally speaking, the best online advice I can give to ladies who are considering  breast augmentation surgery ( regarding breast implant size/profile selection) is:

1. Concentrate on choosing your plastic surgeon carefully.  Concentrate on appropriate training, certification, and the ability of the plastic surgeon to achieve the results you are looking for. Ask to see lots of examples of his/her work.

2. Have a full discussion and communication regarding your desired goals  with your plastic surgeon. This communication will be critical in determining  breast implant size/type/profile will most likely help achieve your goals. 

In my practice, the use of photographs of “goal” pictures (and breasts that are too big or too small) is very helpful. For example, I have found that the use of words such as  “natural” or "C or D cup” to "too big on me" etc means different things to different people and therefore prove unhelpful.

Also, as you know, cup size varies depending on him who makes the bra; therefore, discussing desired cup  size may also be inaccurate.  Again, the use of computer imaging has been very helpful during the communication process, in our practice.

3.  Once you feel you have communicated your goals clearly,  allow your plastic surgeon to use his/her years of experience/judgment to choose the breast implant size/profile that will best meet your goals.  Again, in my practice, this decision is usually made during surgery,  after the use of temporary intraoperative sizers.

I hope this (and the attached link, dedicated to breast  augmentation surgery concerns) helps. Best wishes. 

Only you can decide

When a patient asks "is a ---cc implant too big?" that is not a very easy question to answer. That is because what is considered too big varies from person to person, region of the country, and obviously varies from males to females! ;)  I have my patients try on the implants and they usually end up choosing a size that is slightly larger than they originally thought they would want. Also, I remind my patients that one of the most common complaints after breast augmentation is "I wish I went bigger!" I practice in the Houston, Tx area and rarely do I have patients that request implants smaller than 450cc. Its great that you have seen multiple surgeon and have chosen the one you like the best! Just make sure that they are a board certified plastic surgeon!

Ankur Mehta MD

Ankur Mehta, MD
Sugar Land Plastic Surgeon