Maybe you misunderstood him?
What you are describing is a crescenteric lift that you had. This is a very minor lift, one I don't even do anymore because the top and bottom halves of the areola look different and may be oblong. There is no way that I can understand why this can't be converted into a periareolar or a full lift to improve the shape.
Maybe you mistakenly went to a non-plastic surgeon ("cosmetic surgeons" are not usually "board certified plastic surgeons") who just doesn't know how to do more of a lift and is telling you something that covers that fact up.
A secondary breast lift requires an experienced board certified plastic surgeon.
Thank you for your question. I hope you are able to obtain a refund since you canceled your surgery. From your description of your question it sounds as though a secondary dermal mastopexy or lift and possible exchange of implants can be done. However you should consult several plastic surgeons who are certified by the American Bof Plastic Surgery, who are experienced in breast lift techniques and who have an excellent reputation in your community.oard
Two staged breast revision is necessary
If your breast tissue has been severely thinned out from a previous breast augmentation then your surgeon is correct. The operation should be done in two stages. Take the implants out then wait 4 - 6 months and do a mastopexy augment. No one likes doing it in two steps but better safe than sorry.
Breast lift and implant exchange is not a complicated procedure
Based on your description you would have benefited from an implant exchange for a smaller implant and a vertical (lollipop incision) lift. Important information prior to your surgery would have been what type of an implant you had in (this tells your surgeon the dimensions of the implant) and what you want (how much smaller you want to be).
I would not have been concerned about the nipple turning black and dying as it has been shown that the blood supply is robust and superficial. A vertical lift after a breast augmentation does not compromise the blood supply, poor planning does. The risk of something unpredictable happening that would compromise the blood supply is unlikely, unless you are a diabetic, smoker, and have very large breasts.
Martin Jugenburg, MD, FRCSC
Secondary Breast Lift Options
My recommendation is to have a second opinion from a board certified plastic surgeon for a few reasons.
1. It appears the surgeon did a crescent lift (mastopexy) and therefore it should be safe to perform a further lift safely in most cases
2. From your description, you have lost confidence in your surgeon - this does not make for an optimal patient physician relationship.
Re: the refund issue - I would look over your paper work from your surgeon. I am sure it is covered. You can also ask to speak directly with your surgeon about this.
I do not do crescentic lifts. I usually do a circumareola lift to distribute the tension around the circle. As for what to do now because you are unhappy, it is hard to say without seeing you and performing an exam.
Since you are so concerned I would postpone the surgery and seek 2 or 3 other opinions fromstic surgeons board certified by the American Board of Plastic Surgery and nothing less. Hopefully you read this pre-op and not post-op as you are so concerned about tha areola. Even if he did a cresent lift, which I haven't done in 20 years due to distortion of the areola you are still a candidate provided the lower pole is intact, for a lollipop or vertical lift. I also prefer silicone when combined with a lift as the results are better in my hands due to less weight on the lower pole and less bottoming out.
Good luck, Dr. Schuster in Boca Raton
Photos would have been helpful. If you and your doctor are not on the same page, then this surgery, which is elective, should be delayed until you have a meeting of the minds on what needs to and can be done. As to double boards, plastic surgeons are board certified by ONE board in plastic and reconstructive surgery. A plastic surgeon could also be board certified in another specialty, such as ENT or general surgery. "Cosmetic surgery" is not one of the official boards of the American Board of Medical Specialties so that should be a cautionary tale.
Breast Lift Options, what to do?
I would tell you thatif you and your surgeon are not on the same page and he is not able to perfomr what you are asking for, yes cancel your surgeon and visit with a few others, good luck!