I Had a Breast Lift and my Breast is Falling Again :/ I Need a Solution? (photo)

I had a breast lift less than a year ago. I've noticed that for no reason my breast is falling again. I have no kids, Im only 23 years old. I don't know why this is happening again. My surgeon told me that the reason why they are falling is because I have a bad skin type that tends to fall or that has no flexibility, or something like that. I naturally have a D cup. What should I do? Reduce them and put some implants? why is this happening? Am I going to need a breast lift forever?

There Is Hope byVillar

My first day on the plastic surgery rotation at Massachusetts General Hospital in 1974, I assisted Bradford Cannon MD, past Chief of Plastic Surgery, on a breast reduction.  At the end of the procedure I asked why it came out kind of square. Brad said that is how they come out.  My next case was assisting the Chief Resident, James W. May Jr. on a breast reduction.  He used the inverted T technique and it came out beautifully round and well shaped.  "I just did the same case with Brad and it came out square and yours came out round. Why?".  James was the perfect Southern gentleman.  He put his hand on my shoulder and told me with all modesty,  the first and most important lesson in my plastic surgery career.  "Luis, if you cut the breast square, they come out square.  If you cut them round, they come out round."

Your pictures should always be in the same position for before and after photos front, angled, and side for better evaluation.

But from what you have supplied it would be reasonable to suspect that the inverted T technique would have been a more prudent choice for the shape and degree of ptosis and the large areolae.  There is more scarring, but in skilled hands the procedure is the most reliable for cases like yours.

The good news is that the inverted T procedure can correct your current condition.  It is unlikely that you or your skin is the problem.  If your result does not look good at the end of surgery on the OR table, it is unlikely to dramatically improve later.

By the way, I told Brad what James said about the square breast.  Without hesitation he scrubbed in on James' next inverted T breast reduction and mastered the technique.  That is what I loved about the Harvard Surgical Service, selfless men of integrity.   Best wishes.  Knowledge is power.  Luis F. Villar MD FACS

Breast lift revision

Thanks for your photographs and questions.  Your photographs show that your breasts are "bottoming out" and you will need revision surgery to achieve the kind of results you are after.  Its impossible to determine online whether this occurred due to your skin tone and quality or whether the incorrect surgical approach was used for you.  My impression is that tightening of your skin in the folds under your breasts (infra-mammary folds) should deal with your problem but consultation to confirm this is required. Your best step would be to seek the advice of a fully qualified plastic surgeon who has significant experience in breast lifting procedures.  

Falling breasts after breast lift

Your breasts unfortunately have not taken on the perfect shape after your original breast lift.  It is difficult to say whether this is your own skin elasticity or the technique used during the original operation.  I would advise a second opInion by a board certified plastic surgeon.  Hopefully a little more skin tightening will get you the perfect shape.  Sorry to hear about your bad experience.  Good luck.

I've fallen and I CAN get up.

I have been doing the vertical ("lollipop") lift for around 20 years and one reason has been to minimize the possibility of what has happened to you.  I have only seen it 1 time since I started doing this, because a critical part of the procedure is to "re-hang" your breast tissue on the pectorals muscle higher up and even overdo it because of how it settles down.  Your skin already proved it can't hold up your tissue, so this way we are not just relying on it.  Self supporting tissue.  It turns out that only one that recurred was around your age.  You may also want to take some extra vitamin C and minerals so you make stronger collagen, which might help stabilize things and reduce the risk of recurrence if you have it done again.  And just so you know.....your tissue is not like a rubber band that can keep stretching.  Good luck!

Myles Goldflies, MD

The length of the incision with a breast lift has to match the amount of skin to be removed or the result will not be good.

The distance from the bottom of of the areola to the infra mammary crease in a C cup breast is about 6 cm. The picture demonstrates a distance it is significantly longer than this. Operations designed to minimize the length the incision commonly have this as an aesthetic failure. You will need the second mastopexy fixed the problem.

Breast is falling after breast lift

Hi JG.Thanks for the question.

Sorry to note that you are unhappy with the results. Your breasts are bottoming out and sadly they will not fix themselves. You will need another lift performed aggressively to avoid what you are experiencing. A breast implant will address the empty upper pole that you have and give you a better cleavage should you desire. You need to see a PS who can consider all options

hope this is useful

Breast Lift Revision

The angle of your one year photo is hard to interpret but it seems as if your breasts are "bottoming out".  Sorry to say, the only solution is another breast lift that better positions your breast tissue on your chest and further tightens your breast envelope.  This can be performed with a vertical technique alone or with the addition of a short transverse scar in the infra-mammary fold if more skin needs to be removed.  You only need breast implants if you want to be larger or want lots of upper pole fullness.  Good luck...  

Eric Sadeh, MD

I Had a Breast Lift and my Breast is Falling Again, I Need a Solution?

I would not place implants as this will worsen a poor skin envelope.  In addition, you are happy with the size of your breasts, and implants would only make you larger.  I think that you can probably get a very nice result from a breast lift revision alone.  Find a plastic surgeon with ELITE credentials who performs hundreds of breast lift and breast lift revision procedures each year.  Then look at the plastic surgeon's website before and after photo galleries to get a sense of who can deliver the results.  Kenneth Hughes, MD Los Angeles, CA

I Had a Breast Lift and my Breast is Falling Again :/ I Need a Solution

Your surgeon's explanation may be correct. He probably used the term elasticity, though, rather than flexibility. It is hard to offer specific advice without more info (kind of lift you had, whether or not it really fixed the problem) and photos ideally from before surgery, after surgery and now.

Please consider re-osting your question with that added material. All the best. 

Need for a revision breast lift

You may require a revision breast lift using the same incisions as your first procedure. This may necessitate more longlasting sutures to provide a corset support for your lower breasts. 

Raffy Karamanoukian, MD, FACS