Will my Breast Implants Get Smaller 4 Weeks Post-Op?

I got breast implants 4 weeks ago. I went with 360 ccs, and they look WAY too big. Any chance, will they get smaller?

Wait Three to Four Months For Breast Augmentation Results

Your breast implants haven't settled, yet, considering that it generally takes about three to four months. During this time, the implants will drop a bit and gently round out the bottom portion of your breasts, so that they look more natural. They won't sit so high and take on a more natural appearance. Please wait to see whether you still think they're too big at that time, as many patients change their minds.

I believe that at four weeks after surgery it is still too early to make a final judgment on the size, shape, and projection. Over the next several weeks, and even over the next several months, you will still see some continued changes in your breasts. Wait to make your final judgment, and continue to work with your surgeon during this follow-up time period.  

Garrett A. Wirth, MD, FACS

Breast Size, Shape and Projection following a Breast Augmentation

Thank you for your question.  In the immediate post-operative period it is not uncommon for patients to express concern over the appearance of their breasts and/or the implant volume chosen.  While some patients are afraid that they have gone too large, others will cite that they wish that they would have gone larger.  I think it is important to remember that even four weeks out from surgery that it is way too soon to judge your final results.  It can take several months for all of the post-operative swelling to subside, for your muscle and tissue to relax and for your implants to settle into their proper positions.  Only after you have reached this point (roughly 6-12 months after surgery) can you really assess your final results in size, projection and shape.  I would recommend addressing your concerns with your operating surgeon and, while difficult, please remember that you are not currently looking at your final results and as your breasts continue to change over the next few months, your perception of your results may change as well.  Best of luck!

Breast Size Following Surgery

It’s not unusual for breast augmentation patients to be concerned about breast size following surgery. In the immediate post-operative period patients often have severe swelling and muscle spasm. This can cause the breasts to look larger than they really are and induce significant anxiety.
Swelling resolves quickly with the vast majority being gone in about three weeks. Almost all the visible swelling is gone in four to six weeks but small amounts of residual swelling may be present for up to three to four months following surgery.
In addition, muscle spasms gradually resolve as well. When this happens, the implants gradually drop into normal position and the breasts often appear smaller. Compression bras and dressings are frequently used following breast augmentation to minimize swelling and muscle spasm. Swelling and muscle spasm can add to a patients post-operative discomfort. They can also increase anxiety regarding breast size immediately after surgery.
For these reasons we feel it’s important for the patient and the surgeon to have good communication regarding this topic immediately following surgery. In this situation a little reassurance can go a long way towards making this a more comfortable experience.

The implants will not get smaller, however...

Your chest tissues no doubt are tight right now and as you heal and time passes your breasts will get softer and take on a more natural appearance. The actual volume of your breasts won't change but the shape will. As usual, discuss your concerns with your plastic surgeon for your reassurance.

Dr Edwards

Will breasts get smaller?

Hi and thank you for your question.
You are still early in your recovery. You still have to heal. It can take 3 to 6 months for the breasts to drop and settle into place. Try to be patient. Continue to follow your surgeons instructions and contact him or her with any concerns. Best of luckl!

Breast size with settling

Thank you for your question. During the post-operative period the breast are swollen, and the breast implants appear in a much higher position. Over time they descend and fills out the lower half of the breast. It may take several months for this to happen and can be encouraged with breast massage and compression. After the swelling goes down the breasts will appear smaller. However, as the implants settle, it may appear that the breast enlarges as the lower aspect of the breast fills out (at the expense of the upper portion of the breast).

Breast implant swelling post op

Yes, you are still swollen. This swelling may persist for a few weeks. Your implants probably seem "high" to you as well. This is normal as people usually look great on the table, and when they wake up the implants rise up toward the collar bone. They will usually start to move downward at about three weeks. It may take 6 to 12 months for some implants to settle into final position. Do not run out and buy a bunch of new bras anytime soon. Let your board certified plastic surgeon know your thoughts. They will help you through the process.

Jeffrey J. Roth, MD, FACS

Will my Breast Implants Get Smaller 4 Weeks Post-Op

Thank you for submitting your question and photo. Your very early in your recovery from breast augmentation surgery. Your implants will soften and your breasts will change over the next several weeks. Discuss your concerns with your surgeon for reassurance. Best wishes.

Breast implants may settle

New implants generally look full on the top of the breast and a bit unusual. Settling refers to the tendency for the implants to mature to eventually provide more fullness on the bottom aspect of the breast. This can take a few months to occur. As the shape changes women generally adjust to them and are happy. I would see your surgeon and get his or her input but be prepared to wait a little before doing anything.

So to answer your question: they don't get smaller but they do mature to look more natural. There is hope.

Best Regards,

John Di Saia MD

John P. Di Saia, MD
Orange Plastic Surgeon