Will Rippling Get Worse Overtime?

I had surgery 3 months ago and have just noticed that on my right breast I have rippling. I really don't want to have another surgery. If the rippling stays the way it is I will be okay with it. My question is does rippling get worse with time?

Rippling

It is very difficult to determine the exact size and shape implant you will require to best match your ideal breast image without an examination by a board certified plastic surgeon. Not just any board certified plastic surgeon, but one with many years of frequently performing breast augmentation surgery including different approaches, techniques and implant choices. This is because several measurements not to mention your breast characteristics are needed to determine the optimal implant size to obtain your goals. Without knowing these dimensions it would be difficult to make this determination. For example, the existing base width of your breast will determine, in many cases, the maximal volume per implant profile that you can accommodate. To illustrate; a 100 cc difference may make a significant difference with a narrow base width breast, but much less of a difference if you have a wide chest wall and wide breast “foot print”. Therefore, just because your friend may have a great result with let’s say a 350 cc implant to make her go from a “A” cup to a “C” cup size does not mean that you will have the same result with the same size implant. . Further simply placing implants in a bra to determine the size best for you is not always accurate as the bra often distorts the size, is dependent on the pressure the bra places plus the implant is outside your breast and not under it among other variables. Computer software morphing programs that automatically determine the best implant size can be helpful in some but not all cases (e.g. doesn’t work well in my experience with existing implants, sagging or asymmetric breasts). Using “want to be” photos however are useful if simply provided to the surgeon as I will further explain in the below link.

#breastaugmentation
#findingtherightsize
#BA

Rippling might get worse over time

Rippling is an uncommon event unless going with larger saline implants or choosing "over the muscle" placement. A switch to silicone gel can make it less noticeable. You are early. I'd wait a good six months before deciding whether or not it is bad enough to warrant more surgery.

John P. Di Saia, MD
Orange Plastic Surgeon

Too early to worry about breast implant rippling

Your rippling will be affected by the status of your breast capsule as well as the surrounding breast tissue.It is too early to worry about the wrippling.

When the time comes for exchanging your implant for ay reasons,try to switch to a gel implant ,in addition to other measures that could be done in the pocket around the implant to camouflage the wripples. Best of luck.

Hisham Seify, MD, PhD, FACS

It depends...

If your breast tissue thickness decreases, such as with weight loss or if you have larger implants which can stretch your tissues, the rippling can worsen. On the other hand, you may very well not see any change or worsening.

Dr Edwards

Sometimes..

Hi there-

Visible implant rippling is usually stable without progression unless affected by capsular contracture, where the scar tissue that your body creates around the implants shrinks over time. In this case, the tightening scar capsule will worsen the rippling as it tightens.

If your rippling is nit driving you to distraction, I would wait until you have need for replacement otherwise, either because of the above, or because the implant ruptures.