Running After Breast Implants?

After having Breast implants, will I be able to go running without affecting the implants?

Wait 2-3 weeks after breast implants before running and wear a sports bra

I ask my patients to wait 2-3 weeks before running after breast augmentation with breast implants. Be sure to ask your surgeon and follow his/her advice.

Running after breast implants will not hurt the implant. My concern is that the weght of the implant bouncing against the lower breast skin over time could cause the implant to stretch the skin and have the implant move down too far.

Wearing a supportive jogging bra solves this potential problem and should prevent "bottoming out" of the implant after years of running.

Running With Implants

Running after getting a breast augmentation will not adversely affect the implants. However, you will need to wait at least 3 weeks before you start running again and it is advisable to do so while wearing a sports bra.

You can certainly run after breast implant surgery

There is no reason why you couldn't run after a breast augmentation-- just listen to your doctor's instructions regarding activity restrictions during the healing period (usually a few weeks or so) and once he gives you the go-ahead, you should be fine.

Shahram Salemy, MD, FACS

Of course!

Gravity, motion, and skin stretch obviously have some effect on breast skin. Huge breast implants in pendulous breasts without a bra while jogging would have more of an effect than would small implants in firm breasts with a good bra.

The bottom line is that running is so good for one's health and mind that I would never advice someone interested in running to skip it for the sake of their breasts. Just wear a good bra and enjoy yourself.

Steven Teitelbaum, MD

Running after breast augmentation

Thank you for your question. You definitely want to follow your own surgeon's post-op activity instructions. This is a general guide I give to my patients:
1) No heavy lifting or strenuous activity for 6 weeks.
2) Resume walking at a leisurely pace right after surgery (e.g. 2 mph)
3) At 2 weeks, you can walk 2 miles at 2mph
4) At 3 weeks, you can walk 3 miles at 3mph
5) At 4 weeks, you can walk 4 miles at 4mph
6) At 5 weeks, you can jog 5 miles at 5mph
7) At 6 weeks, you can resume all activities, but listen to your body and use discomfort or tightness as a guide so you don't over do it.

Running after implants.

I generally tell my patients not to run for 2 weeks and then to use a sports or jogging bra for the 1st 6 weeks after surgery. It is best to check with your surgeon for postop restrictions.

Mark Deutsch, MD

You Can Definitely Resume Running After Breast Implants

Absolutely! You can resume just about all of your favourite sports and physical activities after breast augmentation without adversely affecting your implants. It is just a matter of wearing good support to reduce your risk of sagging.
However, it is extremely important to avoid impact-based exercises, like running, for at least 3 weeks after the procedure. This is because your breast tissue is still adjusting to the implants. Running causes unnecessary strain that may result in complications, such as undesirable implant positioning and drooping. 

Running After Breast Implant Surgery

We often get very fit patients in our office.  We usually take into consideration the patient's lifestyle.  Post operatively we usually have our patients wear a sports bra for uniform compression.  We will guide our patients' increase in physical activity as we see them in our office after surgery.  Usually running/jogging is at 8 weeks.  A good sports bra is needed for this type of activity.

Jeffrey J. Roth, MD, FACS

Running after Breast Augmentation?

Thank you for the question.  Yes, you will be able to run after breast augmentation surgery without affecting the breast implants. As you plan the operation,  communicate with your plastic surgeon about your size goals. Make sure you take into consideration your  lifestyle and athletic activities. In my practice I find the use of goal pictures to be very helpful.    I have found that the use of words such as “natural” or “C cup” or "fake looking" or "top heavy" means different things to different people and therefore prove unhelpful.
Also, as you know, cup size varies depending on who makes the bra; therefore, discussing desired cup  size may also be inaccurate. I hope this helps.

Running and implants

I usually allow paitents to start jogging or running about 4 weeks after surgery provided everything went smoothly.