One Breast More Swollen After Breast Augmentation

I am just over 3 weeks post op breast augmentation. I received 425cc in right and 475cc in left. My left breast had to have the dual plane procedure. However, that one is way more sore than the right one. Is this normal?

Too early to worry!

The operations are performed as two separate procedure, and heal as such.  The will eventually feel the same, but it make take months.  Be patient!

Asymmetry is normal

Three months is plenty of time to determine the final outcome in breast augmentation. Although there continues to be changes over the next 3 months they are very minimal. The picture you provide demonstrates a very minimal difference. But remember that you were asymmetric prior to surgery. Your surgeon did the best he could to get you closer to symmetry after augmentation. You also have to remember that augmentation enhances the breasts so your surgeon has to limit this enhancement yet try to create symmetry.

Symmetry is not normal in nature. I'm sure your result is quite good. You look great in the photo so enjoy your new breasts.

It is still too early to tell

GIven that you had some asymmetry preop, and that the implants placed are different sizes, it will take some time for everything to settle before you know your final result. I would stay in close contact with your surgeon who can examine you and reassure you as you heal and as the implants settle into their final position. At the moment, based on your photo, I do see the slight difference that you are describing, but it appears to be within the limits of normal healing, and my guess is that you will have an outstanding result once everything has healed.

Shahram Salemy, MD, FACS

Common for uneven soreness

It is very common for the breasts to heal at different rates especially earlier on in your recovery. This is probably true for you, also because the left received a larger implant which most likely necessitated a larger pocket (and more work).

Ronald Levine, MD

Three weeks post up. Uneven swelling after breast augmentation.

Thank you for the photo. You are still very early in your post operative course. It sounds like you had some asymmetries pre-op, hence the different surgical approaches and sizes of implants.  Breast implants tend to start dropping into place after 3 to 4 weeks. They usually will get to their final position in 6 to 12 months. One will usually drop faster than the other, and the shape may go through changes. Please follow your Board Certified Plastic Surgeon's post op instructions. For example; we like message, but some surgeons will have you wait, or do it in a specific manner. Please also let them know your thoughts and concerns.

Jeffrey J. Roth, MD, FACS

One breast more swollen after augmentation

Thank you for the question. You are still in the post operation recovery stage. It is not uncommon to feel pain, itchiness, and swelling during this period. Breast usually have different time rates when it comes to healing.  It usually takes about 8-12 weeks for the wounds to heal and around 4-6 months for the implants to fully settle. It would be best to visit your board-certified plastic surgeon and get a full assessment. Best of luck. Dr. Michael Omidi.

An in-person exam with a board-certified plastic surgeon is the best way to assess your needs and provide true medical advice.

Michael M. Omidi, MD, FACS

Thank you for submitting your question and photo. Your very early in your recovery from breast surgery. Your breasts will soften and the shape will change over the next several weeks. The two separate approaches in each breast will lead to different recoveries.  Discuss your concerns with your Plastic Surgeon. Best wishes

Swelling After Breast Augmentation

Thank you for your question. I am sorry to hear about your discomfort. I have included some typical expectations of breast surgery recovery and signs to watch for following breast augmentation:

• Stiffness, swelling and bruising in the chest region: These are normal experiences as the skin, muscles and tissue heal. Pain medication and muscle relaxants will help you cope with any discomfort. Consistent sharp pain should be reported to your board-certified surgeon.
  • Hypersensitivity of nipples or lack of sensitivity: This is normal and will gradually resolve over time.
  • A mild to severe itchy feeling of the breasts is possible as healing progresses. An antihistamine like Benadryl can help to alleviate severe, constant itchiness. If the skin becomes red and hot to the touch, contact your board-certified surgeon immediately.
  • Asymmetry, the breasts look different, or heal differently: Breasts may look or feel quite different from one another in the days following surgery. This is normal. No two breasts in nature or following surgery are perfectly symmetrical.
  • Discuss returning to work with your board-certified surgeon, in our office it is typically 3-5 days post-surgery but you may not overexert yourself or do any heavy lifting.
  • You may resume exercise and your normal routine at six weeks unless your surgeon advises otherwise.
As always, if you have any questions regarding your recovery please follow up with your board-certified plastic surgeon. 

Brian Coan, MD, FACS
Raleigh-Durham Plastic Surgeon

Breast Augmentation Swelling And Soreness

It is common for a patient to experience different rates of healing for each breast. Pain levels can also be different. If the soreness is quite uncomfortable, I suggest you speak to your surgeon to make sure everything is okay. The best of luck!

Not uncommon for one side to hurt more

Not too worry - it is very normal to have one side be more swollen or more painful - especially if more dissection was done on that side (i.e. dual plane procedure). Hang in there.

Grant Stevens, MD