I work out everyday and am getting breast implants ASAP. I know it will be hard to run or do the elliptical, but can I do stationary bike at the gym, since it only involes moving the legs? I heard getting the blood rushing isn't good for healing but I need to stick to my routine and cannot possibly take the 3 weeks off from working out that they say you must do to heal right. Any advice?
Advice for Exercise After Breast Augmentation?
Doctor Answers 176
Working out after Breast Augmentation
Recovery from surgery is simple. The body will let you know when it is ready for activity. This is not the time for no pain no gain. Here in Miami I get my share of patients that "need" to work out. My experience has been that after two weeks it should be ok to spin. Maybe not position 3, but one or two will get you all the cardio you need. Any earlier, you can try just walking. The metabolic rate rises when the body undergoes a surgical procedure, so for a few weeks you will burn extra calories, without lifting a finger.
My advice is, try it, and if it hurts don't do it.
Timeline for Exercise After Breast Implants / Breast Augmentation Surgery
Your thoughts about workouts that involve the legs over the arms are the best way to start out. I've answered other questions on RealSelf that detail the recovery period from Breast Augmentation. Here is the timeline from those answers:
- 3-5 days - Return to non-physical work and light activity. Plan to still have some soreness and know that you will be tired more easily. I do encourage patients to use their arms and gently stretch (as long as this can be done without pain) so as to maintain full range of motion of the arms.
- You can return to sexual relations and regular daily self-care activities as long as these can be done comfortably. Unfortunately, it often takes longer for the breasts to become more comfortable for sexual play.
- 1 week postop visit - If a bra is being worn, we will assess whether to continue its use or discontinue the bra and apply an elastic band (if we are desiring more downward movement of the implant). You visit with our massage therapist for a 1hr appointment and she will begin very light lymphatic and breast tissue massage and give teaching for performing self massage.
- 2 weeks - Return to moderate activity. Light-impact cardio exercise and some yoga postures and stretching are appropriate, and elliptical trainer or spin bike are a good place to start. Begin to increase light massage of the breasts.
- 4 weeks - Begin a graduated return to full lower-body activity. You may start back to running if the breasts are comfortable while wearing a supportive athletic bra.
- 6 week postop visit - We evaluate for implant position and relaxation of the breasts and come up with a plan for you accordingly. Sometimes we are near optimal position and go into a support bra. Other times we need more movement and step up the downward massage of the breasts.
- 8 weeks postop - Begin a graduated return to full activity, including upper body.
- 6 months - okay to stop breast massage.
Exercise and Breast Augmentations
So be patient!
You might also like...
Best healing after breast augmentation
It is important.
Advice for Exercise after Breast Augmentation...
I allow my patients to use a stationary bike starting 2 weeks after breast augmentation surgery. I prefer that you do not do high impact activity for 4-6 weeks from your date of surgery. Listen to your body and know your limits. The more time you take to recuperate, the better your results! Good Luck with your surgery.
Exercise after breast augmentation
A stitch in time
Exercise restrictions after breast augmentation in Albany, NY
Thank you for an excellent question. Every woman recovers at their own pace after a breast augmentation. However, there are a few general guidelines that I give to patients.
Following a breast augmentation, I ask that women avoid any strenuous activity for the first two weeks. This means any activity that elevates your heart rate or blood pressure. The reason for this is that elevation of your heart rate or blood pressure can increase the risk of bleeding or swelling.
After 2 weeks, I allow women to resume cardio workouts such as spinning or an elliptical. Full workouts can be resumed after 3 weeks. While it seems like a long time now, the time will go quickly and your body will stay in shape for this short duration.
Best of luck with your breast augmentation.
Returning to your exercise routine after breast augmentation
Re: Working out after Breast Augmentation
Thank you for your question.
I recommend to our patients after a breast augmentation to limit upper body/chest and arm workouts for the first few weeks from surgery. This is particularly significant if the breast implants are placed in sub-muscular position.
And also, while still swollen to keep the heart rate under 100 bpm (increased heart rate, and the subsequent elevated blood pressure can increase swelling of the area).
The benefit to this regimen we find are mainly two-fold:
One, is to keep the muscle and surrounding tissue loose, and allow the proper symmetrical settling of the implants (again, this is especially significant in a sub-muscular placement).
Secondly, to optimize resolution of any persistent swelling to the area by helping the circulation.
I hope this helps, and best wishes on your surgery,
S.P. Maggi, M.D., FACS
Austin Plastic Surgery Center
These answers are for educational purposes and should not be relied upon as a substitute for medical advice you may receive from your physician. If you have a medical emergency, please call 911. These answers do not constitute or initiate a patient/doctor relationship.