I Have Nipples Rings, Can I Get Implants and Keep Them? Should I Lose Weight Before or After Surgery? (photo)

I am 5'10" and currently weigh 220lbs. I have wanted to get implants since I was probably 13 years old :-/ I've finally decided that 2013 is the year to do it. I have a few questions: 1-I have nipple rings (bars now-not the rings in pic). Will they need to be removed and healed before getting implants? I'd prefer to keep them, but I would rather have implants! 2-I am in the process of losing weight (hope to lose at least 60lbs). Should I lose the weight before surgery?

The nipple rings will need to be removed for surgery, but can be replaced by the surgeon immediately after surgery while you are still under anesthesia. If you are sure you are going to lose weight, then waiting will help you choose the best implant size.

Nipple rings and breast surgery

You should be able to keep your nipple rinngs with a breast augmentation.  Some facilities may require that you remove them during the surgery if that is possible because an electric cautery is used and they don't want the metal in the ring to conduct current and burn your nipple.  The surgery itself should not interfere with your ability to keep your nipple rings, though. 

Your breasts will change with weight gain/loss, pregnancy, etc.  It is hard to predict how much they will change.  You know your body better than anyone so you are probably the best judge about how weight loss will affect your breasts.  That said, your best surgical result will usually occur when your weight is stable.

Edwin C. Pound, III, MD

Weight loss and breast augmentation

Getting closer to your ideal body weight is a great goal for the new year!  I would recommend definitely losing the weight and maintaining a stable weight before any breast surgery.  Your breasts may go through significant changes with weight loss that can be addressed at the time of surgery.  Your breast volume and the quality of your skin may change.  Good luck with your weight loss!

Naveen Setty, MD

Should I Lose Weight Before or After Surgery?

You will have a better result by losing the weight before surgery.A couple of things may occur to the breasts that might alter the surgery. You will lose some breast volume, and that will impact on the choice of implant size. You may find your self with some sagging breast skin, and that would be addressed if needed.

As to the nipple rings, usually they would be removed just before surgery, and then replaced at the end of the procedure. 

Thanks for your question. Good luck with the weight loss. When you ready for an in person consultation, RealSelf has listings of surgeons in your area. You should consider cross referencing the listings from the The American Society of Plastic Surgeons (plasticsurgery dot org). A listing in the ASPS website assures you that your surgeon is not only board certified,  but also is a member in good standing of the major plastic surgery organization in the U. S. Thank you for your question, best wishes.

Breast Augmentation and Concerns with Weight and Piercings?

Thank you for the question and picture. 

It will be in your best interests to lose weight prior to undergoing any type of breast surgery. Doing so will increase the safety of the operation and decrease the chances that additional surgery will be necessary afterwards.

I do not think that it will be necessary for you to have the nipple piercings removed/healed before the procedure. Of course, the piercings will be removed temporarily during the procedure.

When the time is right, seek consultation with well experienced board-certified plastic surgeons. Ask to see lots of examples of their work helping patients in your situation and communicate your goals clearly.

Best wishes for a successful weight loss program  and successful breast surgery in the future.

Nipple Rings, Weight Loss and Breast Surgery

Your nipple rings will need to be removed before surgery but can be replaced immediately afterwards.  Since most body piercings are made of metal, the concern is that the body rings can conduct a current from the electrocautery device (which prevents bleeding) and cause burns.  The risk no longer exists once your surgery is finished and, therefore, your piercings can be replaced immediately afterwards.  

As far as weight loss is concerned, weight loss can cause breast changes in both size and shape.  While some of these changes can be minor, others can be severe and as a result, I would wait until you are closer to your goal weight (within 10-20 lbs) and see how your breasts respond to the weight loss before undergoing breast surgery.  It is possible that depending upon breast volume, whether or not there is excess skin, and/or your skin quality that you may require a breast lift as well.

Remember to consult with only board-certified plastic surgeons who are well-experienced in breast procedures and best of luck!

Augmentation and Nipple Rings

You will probably be required to remove the nipple jeweley before your surgery but will will be able to put them back in after. If you are in the process of loosing weight you will have better result if you wait until you are at your goal weight.

Weight Loss Prior to Surgery

When the weight loss is significant as in your case, the weight loss should occur prior to the surgery.  The breasts will shrink with the weight loss and this may affect your implant choice.  The nipple piercings can be removed prior to surgery.

Nipple rings and breast augmentation

The nipple rings do not need to be permanently removed to have breast augmentation, but should be replaced with a plastic spacer during the procedure. If you are planning on losing more than 20lbs, I would recommend losing that weight before you have the procedure. 

Wm. Todd Stoeckel, MD
Raleigh-Durham Plastic Surgeon

Nipple rings

You are a great candidate for breast augmentation. We remove the rings prior to surgery and replace them for you.

Norman Bakshandeh, MD, FACS