Showering After Breast Augmentation?

My crease incision from breast augmentation will be closed with external nylon sutures. I have heard different stories as to the timing of suture removal, as well as showering. When can I shower if my incision is closed with nylon sutures?

Showering and sutures after breast augmentation

Patients may shower 24 hours post operatively with care. Sutures are removed at your one week follow up visit, typically 7 days but no earlier.

Lexington Plastic Surgeon

Showering after a breast augmentation

Thank you for your question.  In my practice, I ask that patients wait 48 hours before showering following a breast augmentation surgery.  I do also request that patients refrain from bathing and submerging their incisions for about four weeks.  Each surgeon, however, has his or her own specific protocols and I would recommend that you follow up with your operating surgeon and heed their advice regarding showering and suture removal post-op.  I hope this helps and best of luck on your recovery!

SHOWERING AFTER BREAST AUGMENTATION

All my wounds are closed using internal dissolving sutures and covered with a waterproof dressing. This dressing remains intact until the first post-op appointment at 1 week.
I advise all my patients they can have a shower the day after surgery and have water simply run over your dressings...but leave the dressing intact and simply pat them dry after the shower. Showering is fine, but submerging yourself in water such as a bath or swimming is not allowed until 3 weeks post-op at which stage you no longer have any wound dressings on and your wounds are dry and healing nicely.

Eddy Dona, MBBS, FRACS
Sydney Plastic Surgeon

Showering after Surgery

Typically, the common answer to this is 24 hours after your surgery you may shower. Bathing and getting into lakes and pools is very different, typically you need to wait at least a couple weeks until you can submerge into water. I would make sure to discuss with your surgeon as to what their protocol is specifically for showering after surgery. Good luck!

Peter J. Capizzi, MD
Charlotte Plastic Surgeon

Showering post Breast Augmentation

Each board certified plastic surgeon may have a different protocol.  Some sutures will come out right away, others later.  Our breast augmentation sutures usually come out on day 7.  We usually see patients back day 3 post op.  They can shower after that.  No submerging the wounds.  We continue to follow and advise as the patient heals.

Jeffrey J. Roth, MD, FACS

Showering after surgery

Usually, incisions are removed at about 2 weeks or so. You can take a shower one to two days after your surgery, but you should have received instructions from your surgeon about this that you should follow.

Ronald Levine, MD

Showering after breast augmentation

Thank you for the question.  We usually recommend patients to shower after 48 hours from surgery.  Best to follow your surgeon's advice on the matter.  Best of luck. Dr. Michael Omidi.

An in-person exam with a board-certified plastic surgeon is the best way to assess your needs and provide true medical advice.

Michael M. Omidi, MD, FACS

Showering Following Breast Augmentation

Patients are eager to shower following any type of cosmetic surgery. We generally recommend that patients wait at least 24 to 48 hours following surgery to shower. At this point the wound edges have sealed.

Although it’s reasonable to shower one to two days following surgery, it’s important not to soak in a bath tub. This could ultimately cause infection and other complications.

Each surgeon has his own protocols. For this reason it’s important to discuss bathing with your surgeon before undertaking this activity. 

Showering After Breast Augmentation

Some surgeons answer this question differently, and it's most important to follow your own surgeon's directions as they will know all the details about your particular incisions. For a frame of reference, though, at our clinic we recommend patients wait 48 hours before showering. In the meantime, you might choose to stock up on baby wipes to use on other areas of your body (not your surgical site) when your showering routine is compromised. Some of our patients find that this helps them feel more refreshed during the earliest phase of their recovery.

Ask your surgeon

I ask the patients to shower on postoperative day number 1.  But that will vary from surgeon to surgeon.