Showering After Breast Augmentation?

My crease incision from breast augmentation will be closed with external nylon sutures. I have heard different stories as to the timing of suture removal, as well as showering. When can I shower if my incision is closed with nylon sutures?

Showering and sutures after breast augmentation

Patients may shower 24 hours post operatively with care. Sutures are removed at your one week follow up visit, typically 7 days but no earlier.

Lexington Plastic Surgeon

Showering after Surgery

Typically, the common answer to this is 24 hours after your surgery you may shower. Bathing and getting into lakes and pools is very different, typically you need to wait at least a couple weeks until you can submerge into water. I would make sure to discuss with your surgeon as to what their protocol is specifically for showering after surgery. Good luck!

Peter J. Capizzi, MD
Charlotte Plastic Surgeon

Showering post Breast Augmentation

Each board certified plastic surgeon may have a different protocol.  Some sutures will come out right away, others later.  Our breast augmentation sutures usually come out on day 7.  We usually see patients back day 3 post op.  They can shower after that.  No submerging the wounds.  We continue to follow and advise as the patient heals.

Jeffrey J. Roth, MD, FACS

Showering after surgery

Usually, incisions are removed at about 2 weeks or so. You can take a shower one to two days after your surgery, but you should have received instructions from your surgeon about this that you should follow.

Ronald Levine, MD

Showering after breast augmentation

Thank you for the question.  We usually recommend patients to shower after 48 hours from surgery.  Best to follow your surgeon's advice on the matter.  Best of luck. Dr. Michael Omidi.

An in-person exam with a board-certified plastic surgeon is the best way to assess your needs and provide true medical advice.

Michael M. Omidi, MD, FACS

Showering Following Breast Augmentation

Patients are eager to shower following any type of cosmetic surgery. We generally recommend that patients wait at least 24 to 48 hours following surgery to shower. At this point the wound edges have sealed.

Although it’s reasonable to shower one to two days following surgery, it’s important not to soak in a bath tub. This could ultimately cause infection and other complications.

Each surgeon has his own protocols. For this reason it’s important to discuss bathing with your surgeon before undertaking this activity. 

Showering After Breast Augmentation

Some surgeons answer this question differently, and it's most important to follow your own surgeon's directions as they will know all the details about your particular incisions. For a frame of reference, though, at our clinic we recommend patients wait 48 hours before showering. In the meantime, you might choose to stock up on baby wipes to use on other areas of your body (not your surgical site) when your showering routine is compromised. Some of our patients find that this helps them feel more refreshed during the earliest phase of their recovery.

Ask your surgeon

I ask the patients to shower on postoperative day number 1.  But that will vary from surgeon to surgeon.

Can I get my stitches wet

It generally takes an incision 24 hours to heal.  We usually recommend waiting to shower for at least 48 to 72 hours just to play it safe.  However, it is always best to follow your surgeon's recommendation.  Your surgeon will be aware of the type of skin closure, and will be the best to answer your questions.

Michael Vincent, MD, FACS

Michael Vincent, MD
Rockville Plastic Surgeon

Breast augmentation

Showering following any surgery is best left to the discretion of the surgeon performing the surgery.  Only they are familiar with you and your surgery.  I would ask him/her.  In general, the body seals itself after a few hours, so, theoretically, it can get wet.

Shahin Javaheri, MD