Weight Gain Normal After Breast Augmentation?

I recently got Breast implants and I think that they're too big. I've been beating myself up about it because I was originally going to get 320 cc's, but ended up getting talked into having 360 cc's instead. I was 123 pounds, 5' 3" before the surgery and the day after, I weighed 131 Ibs. Is this weight gain normal?

Weight gain after breast augmentation

Weight gain is extremely common after breast augmentation. Of course, the significant weight gains within 24hrs is very unusual but obviously related to weight of the implants (although only a minor contribution) and significant fluid retention and swelling. I also suspect the scales are wrong?! Either way, such short term weight gain is almost certainly temporary and will quickly resolve. A greater issue is the potential for genuine weight gain beyond that associated with simple fluid retention and swelling. I warn all my patients about the potential for weight gain and bowel problems that can occur after surgery.

WEIGHT GAIN - After surgery you will be less active than normal - burning less calories. You will be at home more and likely eating more than usual - consuming more calories. Therefore, it is very easy and common to put in weight in the early stages after surgery. At a time when you should be feeling happy and have a boost in your confidence, you can easily be a little upset over weight gain. So now that you know this, do your best to avoid it.

CONSTIPATION - Constipation is an unpleasant possible issue in the first week or two after surgery. This is typically caused by the pain killers used during and after surgery which cause constipation and bloating. Also, being less mobile after surgery exacerbates this. So have plenty of fluids and fibre, and take additional products to help keep you regular such as Metamucil.

Sydney Plastic Surgeon

Weight gain immediately after a breast augmentation

Thank you for your question.  The additional pounds on the scale is most likely the result of swelling that occurs immediately after surgery.  As the swelling subsides, you should see the pounds fall off the scale as well.  I hope this helps!

Normal due to swelling

Swelling will add pounds to the scale. As the swelling decreases, so will your weight. A 40 cc increase won't make a significant difference so I wouldn't be too worried about this. You'll be surprised at how quickly you'll become accustomed to the size.

Ronald Levine, MD

Weight gain

Thank you for the question. You are still in the post operation recovery stage. It is not uncommon to feel pain, itchiness, and swelling during this period. It usually takes about 8-12 weeks for the wounds to heal and around 4-6 months for the implants to fully settle. It would be best to visit your board-certified plastic surgeon and get a full assessment if you have any concerns. Best of luck. Dr. Michael Omidi.

An in-person exam with a board-certified plastic surgeon is the best way to assess your needs and provide true medical advice.

Michael M. Omidi, MD, FACS

Swelling can contribute to weight gain

It generally takes a few months for the breasts to settle. During this time, you will be affected by swelling as well. This could be contributing to your weight gain. Give it four months or so. In the meantime, drink plenty of fluids, go to the washroom regularly and cut back on sodium.

Do not despair!

The implants themselves weigh about 1.6 puns at this size.  You need to factor that in.  Also, the early postoperative swelling will go down.  The difference between 320 and 360 may not be enough for you to lose sleep over.  You will likely get used to the size, the breast shape will improve, and everything will resolve itself over the first 6 months.  Do not despair!

You may be too big, but give it time.

Weight gain after any surgical procedure is quite frequent. The hormonal changes that occur as a result of the stress of surgery can cause patients to retain water. Couple that situation with the administration of large volumes of fluid from an IV, and you can certainly expect some change. Fortunately, this increase in weight is temporary and will gradually begin to go away when the body begins to eliminate the excess fluid. This normally begins around three days after surgery.

In some situations where the water weight is not occurring naturally, you may notice persistent fluid retention and swelling. If significant enough, your surgeon may advise you to take a diuretic to help the kidneys work to remove that excess.

Lastly, breast implants generally do not contribute significantly to weight increases. For example, a 400cc silicone breast implant weighs 424gm or 15 ounces (roughly two pounds for a pair). Hope this helps.

Best of luck.

Brian K. Brzowski, MD
Ogden Plastic Surgeon

Fluid retention after surgery

The eight pound weight difference is mostly fluid retention from having surgery - most of that will subside in the first week (usually around day 3 and 4).

Keep in mind that you are swollen and it's too early to judge the size of your implants - it will take 4 to 6 weeks for you to have a good idea of your final result. Stay hydrated and avoid salt to help get the extra fluid off. Most importantly, don't beat yourself up - 40cc is only about 2.5 tablespoons.

Grant Stevens, MD

Weight Gain and Breast Augmentation

The 40cc difference in each implant is only about 2.5 tablespoons.  Both implants together weigh less than 2lbs.  Your weight gain is likely just fluid retention from the IV fluids you were given during surgery.  The retention will subside with time.

Jeffrey W. Hall, MD

Weight Gain Following Breast Augmentation

Weight gain following surgery is commonly due to fluid retention. The weight from your implants total is 1.6 pounds.  The volume difference between 320 cc and 360 cc implants is 1.3 ounces for each implant.  This is not a significant volume difference to effect the overall result.  It sounds like you've retained a significant amount of fluid and probably have some swelling at this point. Most patients will see a significant change in breast volume over 2-3 weeks following surgery. I would wait at least 6 weeks before drawing any early conclusions about your result.  Breast implant size and shape will continue to improve 3-6 months following surgery, and your perception of the result may change during this time as well.  Please discuss your concerns with your plastic surgeon who performed the surgery.  Good luck to you. 

Steven L. Ringler, MD, FACS
Grand Rapids Plastic Surgeon