How Soon After Breast Augmentation Can I Resume Activities?

How soon after Breast Augmentation can I start working or going to the beach? I'm planning to do my surgery during summertime.

Take care of your results

Breast augmentation is a short surgery which is typically performed as an outpatient. I prefer the patients take a week off from work. At that point they can return to work or school, but should refrain from all vigorous physical activity. At 1 month, they can resume cardio type exercises. At 2 months they can lift weights.

Take care of your results

{{ voteCount >= 0 ? '+' + (voteCount + 1) : (voteCount + 1) }}

Returning to normal activities after breast augmentation

When you can return to "normal" depends entirely on what you define as "normal".

Some general guidelines I provide my patients:
- walking from day 1
- no driving for 5 days
- return to light office work at 1 week
- stationary exercise bike can be started at 2 weeks (if you're very keen to get back to the gym)
- all my patients have dressings completely removed at 3 weeks so you can go for a swim/submerge in water at this stage
- At the four week stage, you are generally beyond the point where your physical actions could potentially compromise your results. You are therefore free to physically ATTEMPT your normal activities. However, this does not mean you will be able to do your normal activities as you will still have some degree of discomfort and weakness. So as always be guided by your body. If you are doing something and you have discomfort or pain, pull back and work around it. Eventually you will get back to normal.

I hope these general guidelines help.

- walking from day 1
- no driving for 5 days
- return to light office work at 1 week

I hope these general guidelines help.

Breast Augmentation Recovery

Each surgeon has different viewpoints regarding return to activity after breast augmentation.For the most part, womencan return to most normal day-to-day activities such as driving within three to five days after breast augmentation.Many surgeons will caution a woman to restrict movement of the arm and shoulder area for a few weeks after the procedure.Unless a woman has a job that requires heavy lifting, most patients will return to work within one week.Normally, all restrictions can be lifted after one month.

Breast Augmentation Recovery

Resuming Activities After Breast Augmentation

Most plastic surgeons will recommend that you wait at least eight weeks before resuming any intense physical activity or heavy lifting, especially if it involves use of the pectoral muscle.

Suzanne M. Quardt, MD
Palm Springs Plastic Surgeon

Suzanne M. Quardt, MD
Palm Springs Plastic Surgeon

You should take one week to recover before resuming any activities.

Plan to take one week off your main vocation, whether that is work, school, parenting, or caring for the household. You should also plan on not fulfilling any obligations for the first 3-5 days - resting is needed to allow a good recovery.

After one week you can return to your regular responsibilities, as long as they do not involve lifting anything over about 15 lb.

Have someone drive you or use a driving service for your first few days. You can drive once you stop taking pain medication. This is typically about 3-5 days but could be up to one week.

Any strenuous exercise, sports, or heavy breast contact should be postponed for at least 4 weeks. And since you mentioned the beach, do not submerge yourself under water (e.g., bath, pool, ocean) for the first three weeks after surgery.

I hope that answers your question on resuming activities after surgery. It’s great that you’re doing this research. I always say that the best patients are informed patients.

Thank you for reading and good luck on your journey!

Go to Beach a Few Days After Surgery; Back to Job After Off Narcotic Pain Medication

Thank you for your question. You can perform very light activity, such as going to beach, within a few days after surgery. (I wouldn't recommend swimming recommend swimming that soon though.) Regarding work, it depends on your job. If you have a sedentary job, then I generally advise patients that they can return as soon as they are off narcotic pain medication. But, it depends how you feel.

A few weeks is plenty of recovery time

Most women can return to work within days after breast augmentation as long as the job is not too physical/strenuous.  Full arm/shoulder range of motion is encouraged right away again as long as it is gentle, and not too forceful or repetitive. Running or working out with weights should probably wait at least 4-6 weeks and while  swimming is fine at 3-4 weeks, limiting sun exposure for a few months is best.       

David J. Levens, MD
Coral Springs Plastic Surgeon

A few weeks is plenty of recovery time

David J. Levens, MD
Coral Springs Plastic Surgeon

Re: Activity after breast augmentation

After your surgery, you need to avoid soaking in a bathtub for 2 weeks or swimming in an ocean/pool for 3 weeks. We recommend patients limit lifting to 20 lbs and walking around the block for the first week and gradually increasing in the weeks to follow per your surgeons instructions.  

Re: Activity after breast augmentation

Breast Augmentation

Recovery time will vary from person to person and what your daily activity involves.  We tell our patients recovery time is average 7 days for office job or light activities.  It may take 2-6weeks for more strenuous  activities.  Scars begin to fade after ~6weeks, but can take 6-12 months for complete healing.                            

Breast Augmentation

Breast augmentation recovery

True recovery time varies from patient to patient, and also depends on the surgical technique used by your plastic surgeon. For example, I use the most minimally invasive and delicate surgical techniques possible, so within 24 hours my patients are feeling pretty good, are able to go out to eat and move around the house. Of course I still want them to take it easy and rest so their body can recover properly, but this just gives you an idea of how easy recovery can be after breast augmentation when performed by a true expert. Most patients return to work a week after surgery, as long as their job does not require any heavy lifting. You can resume your workouts in about 4 - 6 weeks, but make sure you get approval form your surgeon first. Ultimately, every surgeon has different recovery guidelines so make sure you are clear about what your surgeon recommends. 

Breast augmentation recovery