How Soon After Breast Augmentation Can I Resume Activities?

How soon after Breast Augmentation can I start working or going to the beach? I'm planning to do my surgery during summertime.

Resuming activities after breast augmentation

Thank you for your question. You definitely want to follow your own surgeon's post-op activity instructions. This is a general guide I give to my patients:
1) No heavy lifting or strenuous activity for 6 weeks.
2) Resume walking at a leisurely pace right after surgery (e.g. 2 mph)
3) At 2 weeks, you can walk 2 miles at 2mph
4) At 3 weeks, you can walk 3 miles at 3mph
5) At 4 weeks, you can walk 4 miles at 4mph
6) At 5 weeks, you can jog 5 miles at 5mph
7) At 6 weeks, you can resume all activities, but listen to your body and use discomfort or tightness as a guide so you don't over do it.

Resume activities after breast augmentation

I am sure that your surgeon will have definitive ideas about when she/he wants patients to resume activities after surgery. I would suggest following your surgeon's advice rather than information you will find online. Having said that the two most common complications immediately after breast augmentation are bleeding and infection. Therefore much of the post operative insturctions will be concerned about minimizing the risks of bleeding and infection. Things that increase heart rate or blood pressure are best avoided immediately after surgery as are things that can contaminate the surgical incision.

Take care of your results

Breast augmentation is a short surgery which is typically performed as an outpatient. I prefer the patients take a week off from work. At that point they can return to work or school, but should refrain from all vigorous physical activity. At 1 month, they can resume cardio type exercises. At 2 months they can lift weights.

How Soon After Breast Augmentation Can I Resume Activities? #breast augmentation #downtime

Thank you for your question!  Post operative healing from a breast augmentation can vary from person to person.  This depends on your anatomy and observations made by the surgeon intra-operatively.  Some people have "loose tissue" to dissect to create a pocket, and others are just the opposite.  That being said, there are some general guidelines.  I recommend no exercise except walking for the first month.  For the second month, cardio can be performed with a stationary bike to minimize impact. Month three can incorporate weight training as tolerated.  Please discuss this topic with the surgeon as they may have a different protocol.  I hope this helps!!

Resuming Activity after Breast Augmentation

Consult with your surgeon about the types of activities that are acceptable post-surgery. It is important that you not engage in strenuous activities in the first three (2-3) weeks after surgery. My own personal recommendations to my patients are start walking as much as you want to, as soon as you want to. Then progress as desired to high-reps, low-resistance exercises. Slowly progress for 6 weeks, after which time there are no restrictions. I advise my patients to refrain from strenuous physical activity such as heavy lifting with your arms or jogging for 6 weeks. Aerobic exercise will raise your blood pressure, which could cause late bleeding and harm your result. Once you begin exercising again, start gently and let your body tell you what it can tolerate. Don’t rush!! It is important that you follow your doctor's instructions so that you get the best aesthetic results.
#breastrevision #breastimplants

Larry S. Nichter, MD, MS, FACS

Resumption of activities following a breast augmentation

You should definitely follow up with your operating surgeon to discuss your specific post-operative restrictions and what they will or will not permit.  With that being said, I ask that my patients avoid any physical activity (exercising of any form as well as heavy lifting) for four weeks after their surgical procedure.  Any activity that increases your heart rate and your blood pressure will promote swelling and partaking in these activities can increase your risk tremendously for a post-operative complication.  I also recommend that my patients avoid any activities that could contaminate their incisions such as hot tubs and pools.  Again, I would advise you to speak with your operating surgeon about their specific post-surgical protocols and suggest that you err on the side of caution.  All the best.

ACTIVITIES AFTER BREAST AUGMENTATION

Most patients bounce back fairly quickly after breast augmentation. In my practice I routinely have patients who undergo surgery on Thursday and return to work on Monday. Pain and soreness should be well controlled with prescribed pain medications and usually dissipates within the first few days. After the first few days, any lingering soreness can usually be relieved with over the counter medications. I typically permit my patients to get back to their activities of daily living but I do not release them back to strenuous activities until 4-6 weeks after surgery. Any visible swelling should be resolved at around 2 weeks. Once your incisions are completely healed you can do things like get in a pool or the ocean. I recommend giving yourself at least 2-4 weeks before planning a big trip to the beach. Be sure to only consult with board certified plastic surgeons to help ensure a quick and complicated free recovery.

Be well and good luck!

@norrisplastic

Restrictions after Breast Augmentation

After Breast Augmentation limited activity varies during the 1st month post operative period. Weight limit is around 10 pounds for the first week, with no cardio or any blood pressure elevating activity. During the remaining three post op weeks, the weight restriction is 15 pounds and limited exercise. We advise our patients to avoid swimming for this period as well and to use sunscreen to healing incisons. Enjoy your summer!

Ed Breazeale, Jr., MD
Knoxville Plastic Surgeon

Breast Augmentation Recovery

Thanks for your question. I advise all of my patients to resume exercise and their normal activities around six weeks post-surgery. Every patient is unique and heals differently. Please follow up with your board-certified surgeon to discuss resuming your routine. 

Brian Coan, MD, FACS
Raleigh-Durham Plastic Surgeon

It’s best to ease back into work and leisure after a breast augmentation.

Each surgeon has his or her own timeline for post-operative recovery, but a general guideline is at least one week off from work. Depending upon the physicality or other demands of your job, two weeks may be necessary. Some ease back into work by telecommuting during the first two weeks. At the two week mark you can begin to resume gentle exercise, which means you can head to the beach. It’s recommended to avoid submersion in water for eight weeks after your surgery. (You can dip your toe in the water, but you shouldn’t swim.) Take great care to cover your incisions and protect them from sun exposure.