How Soon After Breast Augmentation Can I Resume Activities?

How soon after Breast Augmentation can I start working or going to the beach? I'm planning to do my surgery during summertime.

Take care of your results

Breast augmentation is a short surgery which is typically performed as an outpatient. I prefer the patients take a week off from work. At that point they can return to work or school, but should refrain from all vigorous physical activity. At 1 month, they can resume cardio type exercises. At 2 months they can lift weights.

Resume activities after breast augmentation

I am sure that your surgeon will have definitive ideas about when she/he wants patients to resume activities after surgery. I would suggest following your surgeon's advice rather than information you will find online. Having said that the two most common complications immediately after breast augmentation are bleeding and infection. Therefore much of the post operative insturctions will be concerned about minimizing the risks of bleeding and infection. Things that increase heart rate or blood pressure are best avoided immediately after surgery as are things that can contaminate the surgical incision.

Breast Augmentation Recovery

Each surgeon has different viewpoints regarding return to activity after breast augmentation.For the most part, womencan return to most normal day-to-day activities such as driving within three to five days after breast augmentation.Many surgeons will caution a woman to restrict movement of the arm and shoulder area for a few weeks after the procedure.Unless a woman has a job that requires heavy lifting, most patients will return to work within one week.Normally, all restrictions can be lifted after one month.

John J. Edney, MD
Omaha Plastic Surgeon

Re: Activity after breast augmentation

After your surgery, you need to avoid soaking in a bathtub for 2 weeks or swimming in an ocean/pool for 3 weeks. We recommend patients limit lifting to 20 lbs and walking around the block for the first week and gradually increasing in the weeks to follow per your surgeons instructions.  

Brett E. Stompro, MD
Bay Area Plastic Surgeon

Breast Augmentation

Recovery time will vary from person to person and what your daily activity involves.  We tell our patients recovery time is average 7 days for office job or light activities.  It may take 2-6weeks for more strenuous  activities.  Scars begin to fade after ~6weeks, but can take 6-12 months for complete healing.                            

Kevin Dieffenbach, MD
Oahu Island Plastic Surgeon

Breast augmentation recovery

True recovery time varies from patient to patient, and also depends on the surgical technique used by your plastic surgeon. For example, I use the most minimally invasive and delicate surgical techniques possible, so within 24 hours my patients are feeling pretty good, are able to go out to eat and move around the house. Of course I still want them to take it easy and rest so their body can recover properly, but this just gives you an idea of how easy recovery can be after breast augmentation when performed by a true expert. Most patients return to work a week after surgery, as long as their job does not require any heavy lifting. You can resume your workouts in about 4 - 6 weeks, but make sure you get approval form your surgeon first. Ultimately, every surgeon has different recovery guidelines so make sure you are clear about what your surgeon recommends. 

Jimmy S. Firouz, MD

Resume Activities after Breast Augmentation

I tell my patients that they may begin walking and lifting their arms above their head from day 1. 
Driving in a few days when you are off your pain medicine.
Returning to light office work (desk job) in 3-5 days.
Breast massage should be started within 5-7 days.
Light cardio such as an exercise bike or treadmill can be started within 2 weeks.
Going to the beach or pool using sunscreen can be resumed within 2 weeks.
After 4 weeks, you may resume normal activities and let your body be your guide on how vigorous you should exercise. It may take 6-8 weeks to be able to do a heavy workout routine.

Stanley Castor, MD

Returning to normal activities after breast augmentation

When you can return to "normal" depends entirely on what you define as "normal".

Some general guidelines I provide my patients:
- walking from day 1
- no driving for 5 days
- return to light office work at 1 week
- stationary exercise bike can be started at 2 weeks (if you're very keen to get back to the gym)
- all my patients have dressings completely removed at 3 weeks so you can go for a swim/submerge in water at this stage
- At the four week stage, you are generally beyond the point where your physical actions could potentially compromise your results. You are therefore free to physically ATTEMPT your normal activities. However, this does not mean you will be able to do your normal activities as you will still have some degree of discomfort and weakness. So as always be guided by your body. If you are doing something and you have discomfort or pain, pull back and work around it. Eventually you will get back to normal.

I hope these general guidelines help.

Eddy Dona, MBBS, FRACS
Sydney Plastic Surgeon

Resuming activities after breast augmentation

Hi & thank you for your question.
Returning to work depends on what you do for a living. Typically a week off is sufficient for non physical jobs. You should be able to go to the beach once you have healed. Check with your surgeon for his or her instructions and restrictions. Best of luck.

How Soon After Breast Augmentation Can I Resume Activities? #breast augmentation #downtime

Thank you for your question!  Post operative healing from a breast augmentation can vary from person to person.  This depends on your anatomy and observations made by the surgeon intra-operatively.  Some people have "loose tissue" to dissect to create a pocket, and others are just the opposite.  That being said, there are some general guidelines.  I recommend no exercise except walking for the first month.  For the second month, cardio can be performed with a stationary bike to minimize impact. Month three can incorporate weight training as tolerated.  Please discuss this topic with the surgeon as they may have a different protocol.  I hope this helps!!