Sitting After Brazilian Butt Lift

had a brazilian butt lift almost 4wks ago and even though ive done my best to not sit i cant help but be paranoid. so how will i know if ive caused a depression in my butt from sitting or if its just a natural lumpier area? im also confused as to why some doctors say you can sit right after and others say wait up to 4 wks! which is it? Does anyone really know how quickly the fat is resistant can be? Thnks!

Can I sit after my Brazilian Butt Lift?

The Brazilian Butt Lift utilizes your own natural fat for the augmentation. One of the keys of the fat transfer is that it is incorporated and becomes your fat just in a better place!

The key is how do we maximize the amount of fat that is going “take” or survive for the augmentation. One of the things that can help increase the amount of fat that stays after the transfer is preventing any trauma to the buttock area, that includes sitting. The pressure of sitting can be harmful to the fat for the first couple of weeks after the transfer.

I typically have patients avoid sitting for two weeks after the surgery. They can walk and sleep on their belly, just no sitting. After the first two weeks they can sit for an hour with a 10 minute break in between sitting sessions. After six weeks they can return to all of their normal routines.

There are special pillows that patients can purchase that avoids any pressure on the buttock in the post-operative period so that they can sit at work and still protect their fat transfer procedure.

I hope this helps, be sure to discuss this with your board certified plastic surgeon.

Brazillian butt lift

I have my patient not sit for 3 weeks.  Since you are now 4 weeks post-op, then it sounds as though you are safe to sit now. 

Shahin Javaheri, MD

Sitting after a Brazilian Butt Lift

Congratulations on your new curves!  

You pose a very common question that patients have after having a Brazilian Butt Lift surgery.  While there is no standardized post-operative protocol, many board-certified plastic surgeons would recommend that patients avoid sitting for prolonged periods of time for the first 2-4 weeks.  With that said, I always recommend that patients defer to their operating surgeon to discuss their specific sitting and recovery recommendations.

Fat reabsorption and fat survival rates are variable, but most surgeons would agree that the amount of fat transferred that remains after the first 3-6 months should be stable and permanent.

I hope you find this helpful!

Sitting After a Brazilian Butt Lift

While there is no standardized sitting or recovery protocol following a Brazilian Butt Lift, many plastic surgeons recommend that patients:

1.  Avoid sitting for prolonged periods of time for 2-3 weeks

2.  Sleep on their stomach for at least 1 week

3.  Walk and stand the day following surgery

4.  Wear compression garments for 4-6 weeks over the areas where liposuction was performed

However, almost every plastic surgeon has their own sitting and recovery recommendations based on their specific surgical technique following a Brazilian Butt Lift.  If you've seen before and after photographs of your surgeon's previous Brazilian Butt Lift patients, like the results, and trust your plastic surgeon, I suggest you follow his/her recommendations for recovery.

After about 3-6 months the amount of transferred fat remaining in your buttocks will be stable for life.

Jaime Perez, M.D.

Brazilian Butt Lift Specialist in Tampa, Florida

Plastic Surgery Center of Tampa, Florida

Jaime Perez, MD

Sitting After a Brazilian Butt Lift

Thank you for your question! I do not suggest sitting on your buttocks for 2-3 weeks post BBL, you will suffocate the newly placed fat cells.  Best of luck!

Dr Dhaval Patel
Double Board Certified
Plastic Surgeon
Chicago 
Hoffman Estates 
Oak Brook

Dhaval M. Patel, MD
Hoffman Estates Plastic Surgeon

Sitting after Brazilian Butt Lift

There is no way to quantify the effects of sitting but it sure is miserable to not sit for 4 weeks as I'm sure you can attest to.  I do allow my patients to sit immediately after surgery.  I have not had any indentations nor flattening in the pressure point areas.  My patients (and their friends) are routinely happy with the results.

Kenneth L. Stein, MD

Sitting After Brazilian Butt Lift

Thank you for the question. Sitting after Brazilian butt lift surgery places pressure on the fat that has been transferred. Too much pressure can cause the fat to be reabsorbed by the body.

In my office, I recommend that patients refrain from sitting for prolonged periods of time for the first four weeks. Pillows are used under the thighs and allow people to sit without placing pressure on their buttock. After four weeks, there are no specific restrictions.

Congratulations on your surgery!

Sitting After Brazilian Butt Lift

Thank you for your question. I would not recommend prolonged sitting for at least 2 weeks after surgery. 5 minute rides are fine, My patients use the boppy pillow/booty buddy for 2-3 weeks. Sit upright when going to the bathroom. Review with your Surgeons your post op instructions and follow his recommendations. Best wishes

Sitting should be limited for two weeks...

It’s important to realize that fat cells are very fragile in the immediate post-operative period.This situation doesn’t improve until these fat cells have re-established blood supply with the surrounding tissue.In most cases this takes about two weeks to occur.At this point, fat cells become less sensitive to the effects of pressure and are less likely to be damaged by sitting or lying on the buttocks.
For these reason, we limit sitting or lying on the buttocks to one hour intervals for the first two weeks following surgery.This routine places obvious limitations on physical activity for post-operative patients.Unfortunately failure to comply with this recommendation can result in fat cell death from pressure.This can result in the flattening and contour irregularity that you’re concerned about.
If you’re concerned about sitting in the post-operative period, consultation with your plastic surgeon is appropriate.Your plastic surgeon should be able to clarify the issue.

Sitting after BBL

The best person to ask about this is your surgeon, as every surgeon has their own advice. Generally, I recommend that patients don't sit for at least 2 weeks after surgery. Sitting can damage the fat that has been transferred. If you have to sit, do so for very short period of times and alter your position so you don't put too much pressure in one area for too long.