Sitting After Brazilian Butt Lift

had a brazilian butt lift almost 4wks ago and even though ive done my best to not sit i cant help but be paranoid. so how will i know if ive caused a depression in my butt from sitting or if its just a natural lumpier area? im also confused as to why some doctors say you can sit right after and others say wait up to 4 wks! which is it? Does anyone really know how quickly the fat is resistant can be? Thnks!

Sitting After a Brazilian Butt Lift

{{ voteCount >= 0 ? '+' + (voteCount + 1) : (voteCount + 1) }}

While there is no standardized sitting or recovery protocol following a Brazilian Butt Lift, many plastic surgeons recommend that patients:

1.  Avoid sitting for prolonged periods of time for 2-3 weeks

2.  Sleep on their stomach for at least 1 week

3.  Walk and stand the day following surgery

4.  Wear compression garments for 4-6 weeks over the areas where liposuction was performed

However, almost every plastic surgeon has their own sitting and recovery recommendations based on their specific surgical technique following a Brazilian Butt Lift.  If you've seen before and after photographs of your surgeon's previous Brazilian Butt Lift patients, like the results, and trust your plastic surgeon, I suggest you follow his/her recommendations for recovery.

After about 3-6 months the amount of transferred fat remaining in your buttocks will be stable for life.

Jaime Perez, M.D.

Brazilian Butt Lift Specialist in Tampa, Florida

Plastic Surgery Center of Tampa, Florida

When Can I Sit After My Brazilian Butt Lift (Butt Augmentation with Fat Transfer)

Brazilian Butt Lift is quickly becoming one of the most popular procedures in the United States because it can give patients a total body transformation.  The combination of the liposculpting and fat transfer can give patients the hourglass or A frame figure they have always desired and has led to the popularity of the procedure! 

One of the most common questions that I get during the consultation is about sitting.  We never realize how much we sit until we can’t sit anymore.  I currently recommend to my patients that they cannot sit for six weeks after surgery.  This is so important because the fat transferred needs to “take” so that you can have the best results possible from their Brazilian Butt Lift.

The fat that is transferred survives by having new blood vessels grow into it so that it can last for years to come.  Any pressure (such as sitting) can disrupt this process and decrease the amount of fat that survives and ultimately your results. 

My current protocol is:

1. No sitting for six weeks
  2. No laying on your back for six weeks
  3. After two weeks, you can use the BBL pillow if you have to sit to travel, meeting or such.
    1. The BBL pillow fits on airline seats
    2. This is the BBL pillow that we currently use:
      • bblpillow.com
    3. This should be used as little as possible as the more you can avoid sitting all together the better.
  4. After 6 weeks patients, can start sitting for an hour at a time.

I believe that not sitting is so important that a BBL pillow is included in every butt augmentation surgery that we perform.  We see a dramatic difference in the patients that are meticulous about not sitting and using their pillow versus those that put pressure on the butt. 

We have been fortunate to have some amazing results in our practice and that in part is due to how meticulous our patients are about not sitting or lying on their back for the first six weeks.  If they have to sit, they will be using their BBL pillow. 

The Brazilian Butt Lift Surgery is a big investment in time and money so I want all of my patients to get the best result possible.  I am writing this blog to stress the importance of not sitting after your surgery so can get the best possible result.

Please discuss your Brazilian Butt Lift (Butt Augmentation with Fat Transfer) with your board-certified plastic surgeon.  Every surgeon has their own sitting protocol after surgery and you should discuss it with them so that you can follow their instructions to get the best possible results from your Brazilian Butt lift.  

Sitting after Brazilian Butt Lift

There is no way to quantify the effects of sitting but it sure is miserable to not sit for 4 weeks as I'm sure you can attest to.  I do allow my patients to sit immediately after surgery.  I have not had any indentations nor flattening in the pressure point areas.  My patients (and their friends) are routinely happy with the results.

Kenneth L. Stein, MD

Sitting after Surgery

We do not routinely recommend strict no-sitting after the procedure. Patients will need to go to the bathroom and though "hovering" works well, it will not be possible at all times. In addition, patients will sleep and they will, whether they intend to or not, roll over on the region. So some intermittant pressure, some sitting, in our experience is ok.

Typically it takes 6 weeks to see a final result in terms of swelling, fat absorption, and tissue stability. Whether fat is injected in the buttocks, face, hands, or arms, the viability of the fat is usually determined within the first 24 hours as the fat grafts have approximately 24 hours for reconstitution of a blood supply.  Significant motion and pressure in the first week to 10 days can disrupt this we patients should be prudent in their activities. But for the most part, in my opinion, you should be OK.

We wish you the best and hope you are enjoying your result.

Marc Schneider, MD
Fort Myers Plastic Surgeon

Brazillian butt lift

I have my patient not sit for 3 weeks.  Since you are now 4 weeks post-op, then it sounds as though you are safe to sit now. 

Shahin Javaheri, MD

Sitting should be limited for two weeks...

It’s important to realize that fat cells are very fragile in the immediate post-operative period.This situation doesn’t improve until these fat cells have re-established blood supply with the surrounding tissue.In most cases this takes about two weeks to occur.At this point, fat cells become less sensitive to the effects of pressure and are less likely to be damaged by sitting or lying on the buttocks.
For these reason, we limit sitting or lying on the buttocks to one hour intervals for the first two weeks following surgery.This routine places obvious limitations on physical activity for post-operative patients.Unfortunately failure to comply with this recommendation can result in fat cell death from pressure.This can result in the flattening and contour irregularity that you’re concerned about.
If you’re concerned about sitting in the post-operative period, consultation with your plastic surgeon is appropriate.Your plastic surgeon should be able to clarify the issue.

Sitting after a Brazilian Butt Lift

Congratulations on your new curves!  

You pose a very common question that patients have after having a Brazilian Butt Lift surgery.  While there is no standardized post-operative protocol, many board-certified plastic surgeons would recommend that patients avoid sitting for prolonged periods of time for the first 2-4 weeks.  With that said, I always recommend that patients defer to their operating surgeon to discuss their specific sitting and recovery recommendations.

Fat reabsorption and fat survival rates are variable, but most surgeons would agree that the amount of fat transferred that remains after the first 3-6 months should be stable and permanent.

I hope you find this helpful!

Sitting After a Brazilian Butt Lift

Thank you for your question! I do not suggest sitting on your buttocks for 2-3 weeks post BBL, you will suffocate the newly placed fat cells.  Best of luck!

Dr Dhaval Patel
Double Board Certified
Plastic Surgeon
Chicago 
Hoffman Estates 
Oak Brook

Dhaval M. Patel, MD
Hoffman Estates Plastic Surgeon

Sitting After Brazilian Butt Lift

Thank you for the question. Sitting after Brazilian butt lift surgery places pressure on the fat that has been transferred. Too much pressure can cause the fat to be reabsorbed by the body.

In my office, I recommend that patients refrain from sitting for prolonged periods of time for the first four weeks. Pillows are used under the thighs and allow people to sit without placing pressure on their buttock. After four weeks, there are no specific restrictions.

Congratulations on your surgery!

No Sitting After the Brazilian Butt Lift for at least.......

Opinions and recommendations about sitting after the Brazilian Butt Lift vary widely! My recommendation for my patients works for my patients. If the surgeon you choose has good results, then you should follow their recommendation. My recommendation may not fit well with the technique that another surgeon uses and visa versa. If you like your surgeons results, do what they recommend and you will hopefully have similar results.

Daniel P. Markmann, MD