2 months after surgery still have bruises. Is this going to fade away? (Photo)

I had a liposuction two months ago and I had a few complications - too much bruising and necrosis. All my pre op exams had normal results, and I am not a smoker. My doctor says in years of experience she has never seen a reaction like this. The necrosed area is healing but I still have some remaining bruises. Will the brownish colour bruising fade away?

Delayed Healing After Liposuction

That is certainly not the normal time period for the resolution of bruising after liposuction.  At this point, time will be the only thing that can help resolve the bruising.  How long it takes is anyone's guess.  Hopefully your surgeon has run some lab work to assess your clotting abilities and to make sure that you do not have some underlying disorder that you were previously unaware of.  If not, I would address it with your surgeon.  I hope this helps.

Barrington Plastic Surgeon

Thermal damage after laser or ultrasonically assisted liposuction can result in permanent skin damage.

You appear to have sustained thermal damage to your skin. This is not bruising. I would suggest a second opinion with a board-certified plastic surgeon.

Bruises after liposuction, will they fade?

From the photos provided, it appears that the original procedure must have employed either a laser or heating the tissue (VASER) to produce the skin necrosis that you experienced.  The "bruising" that you see now is actually wound healing from the skin injury.  Most likely the area will continue to fade towards a skin color or whitish hue, but the final result will take several more months to appear.

John Zavell, MD, FACS
Toledo Plastic Surgeon

2 months after surgery still have bruises. Is this going to fade away?

Was this laser-assisted liposuction? It looks like the skin was injured by heat. It will take a while to heal. After some time, there may be other treatment options but you will need to discuss with your surgeon. 

Karol A. Gutowski, MD, FACS

Bruising 2 months after liposuction

Thank you for asking about your liposuction.

• Your photos do not show post-liposuction bruising.
  • You almost certainly  had a heat-generating liposuction machine such as Vaser or Laser used
  • The heat appears to have burned your skin from beneath.
  • The discoloration is skin darkening from heat injury.
  • The red areas are deeper areas of injury and appear to be scar. .
  • There are various ways this can occur - machine malfunction is one of them.
  • It will take at least 6 months before you know how this will all turn out -
  • Always see a Board Certified Plastic Surgeon.
Hope you find this information helpful. Best wishes.

Elizabeth Morgan, MD, PhD

Bruises after liposuction

I too have never seen this type of reaction after liposuction. I question whether there was some heat involved from a laser that could have led to this amount of skin necrosis. Without seeing the daily progression of this ,and just seeing a single snapshot in time it's difficult to say how long resolution would take but I think it's in the months range rather than weeks. I recommend you continue to follow up with your plastic surgeon and she can guide you as to the best treatments to allow you to heal in the most expedient fashion. Good luck with your recovery.

Marc J. Salzman, MD, FACS