Lip laceration and suture removal, is this correct?

I had a full thickness laceration to my top lip due to blunt trauma. It was sutured by a plastic surgeon, at six days he removed the sutures toward the top of the laceration near the vermilion boarder. However he stated he wanted to leave the lower sutures in until they fall out on their own. They were a diffrent type of suture but seems contrary to what I know.

Sutures

There are many different types of sutures. Synthetic, organic, permanent and absorbable. The permanent ones need to be removed (likely the ones he used at the top). The lower ones absorb and weaken overtime as the body breaks them down. It is a delicate balance of having enough support to the tissues and not leaving them too long to leave tacks. The plan sounds reasonable. Obviously the only way to know is to have the exact suture type.

DrC

Chicago Facial Plastic Surgeon

Laceration Repair and Types of Sutures

Thank you for your question.  Meticulous repair and expertise is important for repair of lip lacerations because improper repair can lead to poor results.  More importantly, the lips are a focal point of the face and inadequate repair can be easily noticeable.  When performing repair of lip lacerations, the vermillion may be re-approximated with absorbable suture.  The vermillion border (white roll), is usually repaired with a nonabsorbable suture to ensure the alignment is maintained.  The nonabsorbable suture should be removed within 4-5 days to prevent permanent suture marks. 

Good Day,

Nicholas Jones, MD

Nicholas Jones, MD
Charleston Plastic Surgeon

Absorbable sutures

The inner/ mucosal lip is frequently repaired with absorbable sutures; these are typically not removed, as they tend to come out on their own.  This may be the case with your repair.  Check in with your plastic surgeon for clarification, and good luck with your healing.

Inessa Fishman, MD
Atlanta Facial Plastic Surgeon