Lip laceration and suture removal, is this correct?

I had a full thickness laceration to my top lip due to blunt trauma. It was sutured by a plastic surgeon, at six days he removed the sutures toward the top of the laceration near the vermilion boarder. However he stated he wanted to leave the lower sutures in until they fall out on their own. They were a diffrent type of suture but seems contrary to what I know.

Absorbable sutures

The inner/ mucosal lip is frequently repaired with absorbable sutures; these are typically not removed, as they tend to come out on their own.  This may be the case with your repair.  Check in with your plastic surgeon for clarification, and good luck with your healing.

Atlanta Facial Plastic Surgeon