Can a Bra Line Back Lift Be Done Just in the Under Arm Area and Not Extended So Far into the Back?

I have seen the scars of this lift and of all the scars I will have from getting skin removed all over my body this is one I really don't like. But from pinching my skin I think an extended TT that goes a little more into the sides and a simple cut and skin removal just under my arm should be enough to take some of those folds away. It wouldn't be as tight as a full cut going towards the center of my back but that is fine for me. I have a lot of muscle I need to restore. Thoughts?

Dear Aethera,

Thank you for your question. Every patient is different, and certainly, if this is where you have laxity, and not in the back area, than an abbreviated bra-line back lift can be accomplished. 

Best Wishes,

Pablo Prichard, MD

Phoenix Plastic Surgeon

This is certainly a possibility, but this decision would be based upon your anatomy.   Find a plastic surgeon with ELITE credentials who performs hundreds of body contouring procedures each year.  Then look at the plastic surgeon's website before and after photo galleries to get a sense of who can deliver the results. 

Kenneth Hughes, MD Los Angeles, CA

Upper body lift

I believe this is a difficult question to answer without a plastic surgeon evaluating the area. The degree of laxity determines how long the incision needs to be and where it can be located. Sometimes it can be vertically placed under the axilla, other times it needs to follow the bra. I would recommend you get a consultation to evaluate the area.

Rick Rosen, MD
Norwalk Plastic Surgeon

Excess skin in bra area / upper back

To treat the excess skin in your back, there are several different treatment options.  Where the scar will exactly be located will depending on the amount and distribution of loose skin.  Please see a board certified PS to learn more about your options.

Dr. Basu

houston, tx

Breast lift, arm lift combination can improve the upper back

Great question! Yes, removal of skin from the upper arm and armpit (brachioplasty) and from lateral breast area (as an extension from the breast lift incision) can improve the skin excess in the upper lateral chest wall in both women and men, within limits. Everyone is a little different in how their skin responds to massive weight loss, and each operation should be "tailored" to your needs. A surgeon experienced in these procedures should be able to give you an idea of just what you'll need. 

Bra Line Back Lift Options

It's important to understand that no two patients are ever exactly the same. For this reason, it's important to tailor procedures to meet patients individual needs. This will depend upon their anatomic findings and aesthetic goals.

In this particular case, it's reasonable to perform an abbreviated bra line back lift. This procedure should be able to remove excess fat and skin without excessive scars and, hopefully, still accomplish your aesthetic goals.

If you're considering this type of surgical procedure, it's important to consult a board certified plastic surgeon with experience in this area. This surgeon should be able to formulate a treatment plan that addresses your anatomic findings and achieves your aesthetic goals.