Bowling Ball Look? (photo)

Hi, I'm 5'4 123 lbs with 550cc Mentor mod plus silicone under the muscle, nearly 3 months post op. I love my size, but I feel I have a highly unnatural looking result. Is this common, is it the placement, size, or profile of the implant? Is there anything that can be done for them to look more real or do I have to downsize for a more natural looking result? Do they just need to drop more?

It's all about proportions

More than likely it has to do with the large size of  implant on your petite frame.  If you desire a more natural look, you may opt to exchange them for a smaller implant. Best to wait a full year after surgery before considering an exchange.

Bowling ball look after breast augmentation

When the breast is over augmented there is not enough breast tissue to hide the implant and the breast becomes round and ballooned out. If you really want natural then you should consider a moderate profile implant which is smaller and a better fit to you.

Bowling ball look

It is difficult to tell how much can be imputed to the angle of the photography. It may well be that the pockets weren't adequately dissected. However, these implants are extremely large for your frame and they are increasing the effect of gravity on your breasts. If you don't need a lift now, you will likely need one down the road.

Implant problems

The angle of your photos makes it difficult to determine if the implant pocket needs to be lowered or if you need a lift.  However, the implants seem too wide for your chest and are giving you too much "side boob"...it seems that if you like the volume, you would get a better shape by lowering the pocket slightly and switching to higher profile implants that have a narrower base diameter.  This will likely not give you a more natural look though as you would probably need to downsize the volume to achieve that goal.

Leonard T. Yu, MD
Maui Plastic Surgeon

Implants too big?

Thank you for your question and for the photos. I am sorry to hear that you are unhappy with the results so far. While it is difficult to make judgements based only on you photos, there are some thoughts that I would be happy to share with you.

While you might like the volume of the implants, their size does make them look unnatural. You have a small frame, and an implant of that size gives too much projection and width in your case. The only way to improve the result and to make them look more natural would be to replace the implants for a smaller size. This is not always a simple procedure, in that the pocket may now be overly large and the skin amy be stretched a bit. While these issues can be corrected, it can be more involved than a simple exchange.

I would say that at 3 months, I wouldn't expect a dramatic change in the current appearance of your breasts. They may bottom out a bit over time due to their size, but will not get any smaller. I am sure that your surgeon will be happy to discuss the options for making your breasts look more natural if you ask him.

I hope that this is helpful and wish you luck.

Sincerely,

Jeff Rockmore, mD

Big

Unfortunately, without a complete history and physical exam and through pre operative photography there is not enough information to make an informed plan, please consult your surgeon or another local board certified plastic surgeon

Bowling ball breast implant appearance due to very large implants

Thank you for your question and photographs. The appearance of your breast implants which you describe is bowling ball is due to the fact that you have had very large implants placed. Considering the size of your implants your result is very acceptable for 500 cc implants placed in breasts with somewhat low riding nipples.

If you want your breasts to look more normal and a combination of smaller breast implants and a lift may help. Please consult your plastic surgeon.

Bowling Ball look

You have large implants relative to your chest size and height and weight. You say the size is great, therefore the look cannot be changed. You need smaller implants if you want to look more natural.

Norman Bakshandeh, MD, FACS

Breast Implant Proprotions

The implants seem to be too large/wide for your frame. They may drop a bit more in the upcoming months but the overall appearance will not change significantly. Allow for a few more months of healing before considering further surgery to downsize and/or lift the breasts if needed.

Pedy Ganchi, MD
Ridgewood Plastic Surgeon

Implants

With very large implants, they overtake your upper chest. They are too wide and too larger probably for your frame.