How soon after a mommy makeover can I ride a roller coaster?

My husband surprised us with a Disney vacation 7 1/2 weeks after my surgery. I'm a fit and healthy woman who is expected to have a normal recovery, however I'm worried about rides like Space Mountain jostling me around and hurting the surgical incision site. Am I over thinking this?

Mommy Makeover

It is my pleasure to answer your question. I don't recommend patients to perform that kind of physical activities before 12 weeks after surgery.

Roller coaster after mommy makeover

Thanks for your inquiry.  You didn't mention if your makeover involved breast augmentation or just a lift.  If my patients have had breast implants I recommend following any restrictions posted on roller coasters or other amusement park rides.  Some of these rides have restraints that push against the chest and are not recommended if you have had breast implants.  Generally after about 6 weeks most of my mommy makeover patients have returned to all regular activities.  However, it is best to check with your own surgeon, since they will be aware your specific healing progress.

Disneyland and Mommy Makeover

I think your biggest problem won't be the rides but rather the fatigue and frustrations from long lines and the endless requests from your children to buy them little trinkets along the way!

I would let my own patients go on a roller coaster at that stage post op, but you have to check with your own doctor.

On the other hand, the lines are so long that if you enter the part 7 1/2 weeks after your surgery, you might not actually get to the front of the Space Mountain ride until you  are about 27 weeks post op, at which time you would definitely be able to enjoy the ride.

Steven Teitelbaum, MD

Enjoying Recreational Rides After a Mommy Makeover

The Mommy Makeover is a combination of procedures to bring a woman’s body back to the way she looked prior to pregnancy. Most commonly some variation of a #TummyTuck and #BreastSurgery are performed. Additional procedures can include liposuction, umbilical hernia repair.  The most common #breastprocedures include #mastopexy or #breastlift, #breastaugmentation, or #breastreduction.   

Healing after a  #tummytuck will require time. Some patients are out of bed and walking the night of surgery and every hour while awake. I allow my patients to return to work at one to two weeks with 14 days preferred.  However, no lifting or straining.  At three weeks, increased level of activity and full with no restrictions, at 6 weeks. #MummyTummy is a term given to modified tummy tucks which can use liposuction and skin tightening with radiofrequency such Vanquish, Vela3, thermage, thermiRF and others.  The actual fat contouring can be done non-surgically as well with #UltraShape or Cool-Sculpting.
As I advise my patients, if your work keeps you sedentary, you may return whenever you feel up to it. If your work is strenuous, wait until your work activity does not cause any superficial pain.
Some employers will modify a person’s job duties so they can back sooner, but without physical activity. Our office can provide our patients with a note stating they are not to engage in strenuous activity for a specified period of time. The note will not disclose what procedure they have underwent. Therefore, you may have to request a similar note from your surgeon if you are not independently employed. I recommend avoiding heavy lifting and strenuous #activity for six weeks following your surgery. With that said, it may help you plan your return to work accordingly.

As for heavy lifting and other #strenuous #activities, it should be avoided for until you have clearance from your surgeon. You may, however, do normal activities at any time if they cause no pain or #discomfort. Let your body tell you what you can or cannot do. Aerobic exercise will raise your blood pressure, which could cause late bleeding and harm your result. Once you begin exercising again, start gently and let your body tell you what it can tolerate. Don’t rush!!  If you have concerns about your healing, or pain that you question to be unusual, it is important to call your plastic surgeon to discuss these further asked to be examined.

G-force, roller coasters and Space Mountain

Thank you for asking about your mommy make-over.

• Yours is a thoughtful question
  • At 6 - 8 weeks after a tummy tuck, you should be able to do what you want.
  • But roller coasters are unusual - they accelerate to anti-gravity (g-forces) that distort our bodies.
  • Although much less than the G-force that killed Princess Diana (estimate at 70G), Space Mountain generates 2 g at its maximum acceleration.
  • It would be enough to (theoretically) make you swell, bleed or faint.
  • It would be safer to go on all the Disney rides - except the roller coasters.
Always see a Board Certified Plastic Surgeon
Hope you found this answer helpful. Best wishes.

You've just had a Mommy Makeover, what are you gonna do? "I'm going to Disneyworld'

I would most likely let my patient ride roller coasters at this stage in healing, but you need check with your own surgeon. 

We often see an emotional roller coaster after mommy makeovers, so maybe a "real" roller coaster would help with this.

Be prepared for some additional fatigue from all the walking and line waiting.  This is tiresome in and of itself, let alone after surgery. Enjoy!

Post operative vacation

In general, as long as all incisions are healed and you are feeling well most patients should be able to resume all activities by 8 weeks. However, every physician has their own preference and it would be wise to discuss this with your surgeon.

Christopher Kelly, MD
Aventura Plastic Surgeon

Disney after mommy makeover

Thanks for your question.  Should be a fun vacation, heading there for spring break.  Best to check with your surgeon specifically.  In my practice, I generally release my patients from all restrictions at 8 weeks, so you will likely be fine if you have healed well.  Your incisions should be well healed by then, with a low likelihood of re-opening.  Have fun. 

Going on vacation should not be an issue but you may want refrain from some activities.  It will be dependent on how your healing is progressing.  As you see answers do vary among surgeons so I suggest you discuss this with your surgeon directly for specific instructions and guidelines.

Roller coasters post Mommy Makeover

This is definitely a question I would ask your plastic surgeon as everyone has different post-op instructions. How you heal in the first several weeks can also impact the decisions. In general, after 6 weeks you should be in the clear. Good luck, Dean Vistnes.

M. Dean Vistnes, MD
Bay Area Plastic Surgeon