Botox for Sweating - How Long Do the Effects Last?

I know that Botox Cosmetic lasts a few months, but how long does Botox last when it is used to treat excessive sweating?

Botox; Botulinum Toxin for Hyperhidrosis and Excessive Sweating

Botox is used for excessive sweating for focal hyperhidrosis of the axilla, groin, forehead, and inguinal crease. Botox works to inhibit the release of acetylcholine at the nerve synapse.

The longevity of botox depends on the regenerative capacity of the nerve synapse. In most cases, Botox will last about 4 to 6 months for hyperhidrosis.

There are many effective ways to limit the pain associated with Botox injections to the axilla. Discuss these with your surgeon. Hyperhidrosis may also benefit by non-Botox treatments, including thoracic sympathectomy.

Botox stops sweating for ~6-9 months; miraDry can have permanent results

Botox is a temporary, albeit very effective solution for underarm sweating.  Unfortunately, botox always wears off.  

miraDry is an in-office, noninvasive technology that uses microwaves to destroy sweat glands.  A single miraDry treatment reduces sweating by greater than 80%, on average.  This is a lifechanging procedure for people that suffer from hyperhidrosis.  People who have more potent underarm odor also benefit, as well as people that just want to save on their drycleaning bills. 

Melissa Chiang, MD, FAAD
Houston Dermatologic Surgeon

Botox for hyperhidrosis can last up to 6 months

Consult a physician who is able and is capable AND trained appropriately in providing every option of care for the specific type of hyperhidrosis you have. This includes topical therapy if appropriate, medication if appropriate, iontophoresis if appropriate, Botox if appropriate, suction curettage if appropriate or surgery if appropriate.

Botox injection can last anywhere from 3 months to six months when used for hyperhidross and depending on the dose injected.

Hratch Karamanoukian, MD, FACS
Buffalo General Surgeon

Relief of sweating after Botox

Hi, 

The effectiveness of a Botulinum toxin treatment for hyperhidrosis ranges between 4 to 7 months, occasionally even lasting longer. Also depends on the type of botulinum, with some types lasting longer than others. 

Good luck!

Renita (Lourdhurajan) Rajan, MD, DNB
India Dermatologist

Longevity of Botox effect for the treatment of Hyperhidrosis (excessive sweating)

Botox is an excellent and safe choice for the treatment of excessive sweating of the underarms. The effect can last 3-6 months, depending on the individual, the amount of product used, and the method of placement.

Dr. Ahdout

Jennifer Ahdout, MD, FAAD
Beverly Hills Dermatologist

BOTOX® for hyperhidrosis treatment results vary from person to person.

If you plan to use BOTOX® as a regular therapy for excessive sweating, you can expect to return for about two to three visits a year, depending on how you respond to the treatment. Results can last anywhere from three to six months depending on a number of variables that are hard to account for. You should look for a facility with certified staff and the oversight of an MD, and they’ll be able to walk you through the process, answering whatever questions or concerns you may have about the treatment.

David L. Kaufman, MD
Folsom Plastic Surgeon

Botox for Excessive sweating

Both Dysport and Botox can also be used to treat hyperhidrosis, or severe sweating under the arms.
Most patients see improvement within several days of injection. The result will usually last about three to four months at which point the sweat begins to reappear.

Dennis Gross, MD

Botox will last 4 months for excessive sweating

Typically when botox is used to treat sweating, the effect will last approximately 4 months. Some patients get more and some get less. Botox is very useful at reducing underarm sweating. It is less predictable when treating sweaty palms or soles.

- Dr. Bryson Richards

Bryson G. Richards, MD

2- 12 months- average user 5-6 months.

I tell all first timers 'I don't know how long the effect for YOU will last', however most first timers will get at least 4 months relief. Second timers may push out to 5 months, then 6. 
I perform 3-4 procedure of Botox for sweating daily, so I see the entire spectrum of short timers (2 months), all the way to some lucky individuals who get 12 months relief from the first injection. 

To set your expectations right, expect, and aim for 4 months. 

I tell all my patients that modification of lifestyle, such as decreasing caffeine intake and STRESS can help prolong the effects of BOTOX. 

Davin Lim, MBBS, FACD
Brisbane Dermatologist

Botox is a great option and highly effective helping excessive sweating, the results last 3-6 months