Had Botox 2 days ago... I see no difference? Why does it take so long to work?

I had 42 units!

Why does Botox take so long to work

Think of it like this - when you go to the gym, your muscles get a good workout; however, it takes time for them to change. This is the same thing with Botox. The muscle has to absorb the neurotoxin and the receptors must be triggered. This can take up to 10 days for full effects. This is why it takes Botox awhile to work. Muscles simply don't respond immediately to anything!

Time of Onset of Action after Botox Injection?

What you are experiencing is probably within “normal” of what to expect after Botox injection. I tell my patients that it may take a week before they begin to see the effects of the injections,  regardless of the number of units injected.

Neuromodulators such as Botox and Dysport take time to work

Despite the amount of units injected, both Botox and Dysport (the two leading neuromodulators) take time to work since the drug has to find its way to and work at the neuromuscular junction (where the motor nerves and facial muscles meet).

The full effects of Botox are typically seen within 5-7 days, while Dysport has a little quicker onset at 3-5 days.

For way too much information regarding how Botulinum toxin works at the neuromuscular junction, see the youtube link below.

Michael Kim, MD

Michael M. Kim, MD
Portland Facial Plastic Surgeon

It can take up to 2 weeks for the full effect of Botox to be seen

While excitement can make waiting difficult, it takes around 4-5 days for most people to see the effects of botox, although it can take up to 2 weeks to see the full effect. It takes time for your body to take up the medication and for it to cause muscle relaxation. If you still don't see results at 2 weeks, then you may need more Botox. You can always add but you can't subtract, which is why caution is always a safer policy. I have also found that some people do better with Dysport over Botox, which is a consideration for you as well.

Ramona Behshad, MD
Saint Louis Dermatologic Surgeon

Botox and effects of

It can take up to 2 weeks for your treatment to start working - sometimes much sooner. If you don't see any changes at the end of two weeks, re-visit your provider.

Sam Naficy, MD, FACS

Botox two days ago and no difference

It is completely normal to see no difference two days after a Botox treatment.  It can take a week before any effect is seen after the injection.  I would just give it some more time and if you still see no difference after a week, I would contact your treating physician.  

Michael I. Echavez, MD
San Francisco Facial Plastic Surgeon

Botox Results

Botox and Dysport both work similarly in that they temporarily immobilize muscles that create wrinkles. But there are some differences: Dysport is said to work more quickly than Botox (within 1 to 3 days as compared with the 3 to 5 days of Botox). Most patients see improvement within several days of injection, regardless of how many injections. The result will usually last about three to four months at which point the muscle action gradually returns and the lines and wrinkles or sweat begin to reappear.Over time, however, and with repeated injections, the lines and wrinkles will become less severe as the muscles are trained to relax.

Dennis Gross, MD

Botox takes several days to notice the effect.

It takes a few days for Botox to start to work at the neuromuscular junction.  You will see the full effect in about 10 to 12 days.  If you are not happy with your results at that time, revisit your injector for assessment and possibly more Botox.

Martie Gidon, MD, FRCPC
Toronto Dermatologist

How long to wait to see the full effects of BOTOX Cosmetic?

Depending on the particular BOTOX patient, between 2 to 7 days may be necessary to appreciate the results.

William P. Mack, MD, PA
Tampa Oculoplastic Surgeon

No difference following Botox treatment

Not to worry, It can be 3-5 days before the Botox takes effect, and sometimes longer. In the future, you may want to consider trying Dysport if you need more of an immediate result. It has a slightly faster onset than Botox and lasts a little longer as well. I would recommend visiting your physician who performed the injections regarding any immediate concerns. Thank you and I hope this helps!

Paul S. Nassif, MD